Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is Annihilation as good as Ex-Machina? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=53233)

DocHoliday 02-26-18 04:31 PM

Is Annihilation as good as Ex-Machina?

Thought Ex Machina was a modern sci-fi classic. Does Annihilation compare in terms of quality?

Dani8 02-26-18 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by DocHoliday (Post 1872908)
Thought Ex Machina was a modern sci-fi classic. Does Annihilation compare in terms of quality?
Why dont you watch it and tell us what you think, Doc?:)

DocHoliday 02-26-18 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1872909)
Why dont you watch it and tell us what you think, Doc?:)
I plan to. Just wanna hear some expert opinions before I see it.

Swan 02-26-18 04:35 PM

Re: Is Annihilation as good as Ex-Machina?

They are different movies, for sure - Annihilation is far larger in scope. I personally prefer Annihilation, which I think is absolutely stunning, but that's no put down to the wonderful Ex Machina.

Swan 02-26-18 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by DocHoliday (Post 1872910)
Just wanna hear some expert opinions
Oops, nevermind then. :p

Dani8 02-26-18 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by DocHoliday (Post 1872910)
I plan to. Just wanna hear some expert opinions before I see it.
Me too. I thought the trailer was enough of a teaser to whet my whistle, and I hadnt even heard of it prior to that.

Ex Machina I like much better in retrospect. Still coming to terms with how much I disliked the characters, but stunning looking film, and I thought the suspense was very well done.

Saunch 02-26-18 04:42 PM

I might get annihilated this weekend. I’ll have thoughts if that happens.

I should’a probably read the book. It’s right there on my desk. Hmm...

Siddon 02-26-18 04:48 PM

Yeah I'm really curious to see where this lies in the impressive Alex Garland oeuvre

• The Beach
  • 28 Days Later
  • Sunshine
  • Never Let Me Go
  • Dredd
  • Ex Machina

CosmicRunaway 02-26-18 06:09 PM

While I think I prefer Ex Machina, if I had to choose just one to rewatch, I'd likely go with Annihilation instead.

Annihilation seems like the type of film that would benefit from multiple viewings. And that's not just because there's a lot to unpack in the last act, but there are things that I noticed throughout the film that my room mate didn't, which made elements of the ending make a little more sense to me than it did him. So I have to wonder what else I might pick up if I saw it a second time.

I just don't like Natalie Portman, which sort of spoils the film for me a bit.

ynwtf 02-26-18 06:14 PM

IMO, they are two very different movies. For me at least, Annihilation was a minimalist slow burn with no payoff for me. Moon was minimalist too, but was absolutely wonderful---for my measure and value of minimal. I will watch it again when available to stream, but on first view I was disappointed.

BraedenG33 02-26-18 08:09 PM

I saw Annihilation thursday and just re-watched Ex Machina (my 4th viewing) yesterday, and I love both, but I'd give the slight edge to Ex Machina. Annihilation is definitely more ambitious, but I think I Ex Machina works better for me. Maybe as I re-watch Annihilation my opinion may change (it definitely feels like a movie that rewards repeat viewings, and Ex Machina has definitely gotten better and better upon rewatch), but as of now Ex Machina is my preference, they do have a similar feeling though, and watching both within a few days was interesting and I think it enhanced my experience with both films.

DocHoliday 03-22-18 02:43 PM

To answer my own question.... HELL NO!

I saw Annihilation on Monday night. Didn't enjoy it. It certainly started off strong, and had it's moments, but I found it too convoluted and I wasn't impressed by the acting.

It doesn't hold a candle to Ex Machina.

5/10

Ultraviolence 03-22-18 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by DocHoliday (Post 1881509)

I saw Annihilation on Monday night. Didn't enjoy it. It certainly started off strong, and had it's moments, but I found it too convoluted and I wasn't impressed by the acting.

5/10
I agree.

ScarletLion 03-23-18 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by DocHoliday (Post 1881509)

5/10
I agree also

Iroquois 03-23-18 10:49 AM

As for me, it's obviously too soon to properly call, but Annihilation definitely has the weight of expectations on it while Ex Machina had the element of surprise. People were comparing this to Stalker and that's a tough standard to live up to for any film.

I'm still giving both of them
anyway.

ScarletLion 03-23-18 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1881704)
As for me, it's obviously too soon to properly call, but Annihilation definitely has the weight of expectations on it while Ex Machina had the element of surprise. People were comparing this to Stalker and that's a tough standard to live up to for any film.

I'm still giving both of them
anyway.
How would you sum Annihilation up? What was the third act trying to tell the viewer?

WARNING: "annihilation" spoilers below
I got mixed messages of terminal illness, self destruction, relationship issues / fidelity, morality, the earth's sustainability. And in the end they all just mashed into one big deluge of images assaulting my eyes.

Iroquois 03-23-18 11:31 AM

I only just finished watching it and am still processing it. There's a lot to take in.

Luis 03-25-18 09:18 PM

I loved Annihilation, it's my favorite film of 2018 so far. I love Ex Machina as well, both excellent. I liked the sci-fi of Annihilation a bit more though.

FromBeyond 03-26-18 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by DocHoliday (Post 1872908)
really.. wow, there is literally nothing new in that movie.