Can Someone Explain to Me: Dr. Strangelove?

Tools    

Yeah, I don't much care for the "I don't like this so people are wrong for liking it" rationale either.
I disagree. Rap sucks and people who like that is because they weren't properly "educated".

(sarcastic)

Originally Posted by Guaporense
Is every movie which has the name of a character in the title has that character showing up all the time?
Is it wrong to question why a Robin Hood movie would be titled "Little John"?

Originally Posted by Guaporense
He says Mein Fuhrer several times and his ideas are pure Nazi stuff.
I must have missed those lines, I was trying to multi-task.

Originally Posted by urkillinmesmalls
Understandable. And if you didn't like it, that's fine, nobody's forcing anything here. What bothers me is when somebody doesn't like a movie so they think "oh, I hate this movie everyone else likes, so that must mean I'm right and everyone else likes a bad movie!" like our friend HK
I could make some objective arguments against Space Odyssey, but I won't.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
Yeah, I don't much care for the "I don't like this so people are wrong for liking it" rationale either.
I agree. Up until it becomes snuff-film type stuff, then I gotta disagree with you.

Understandable. And if you didn't like it, that's fine, nobody's forcing anything here. What bothers me is when somebody doesn't like a movie so they think "oh, I hate this movie everyone else likes, so that must mean I'm right and everyone else likes a bad movie!" like our friend HK
HK never does that, he just bluntly says what he thinks of a movie. Gets on my nerves a bit sometimes but that's all it is.

HK never does that, he just bluntly says what he thinks of a movie. Gets on my nerves a bit sometimes but that's all it is.
Quoted for truth.

I think HK is funny by doing that.

I love when people say my favorite movies/TV/music/manga are garbage. Like when a friend of mine came for dinner and said: "you know, I watched the biggest pile of BS ever", I asked what, she said "PMMM". I though that was funny.

What I hate when they say they are "ok, 6/10".

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I loved Dr. Strangelove, it's an extremely dark film that's also a slapstick farce. It's...idiosyncratic. It does help to pay close attention to it, but it still may not be your personal cup of tea. Peter Sellers was somewhere inbetween a genius and a lunatic.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I loved Dr. Strangelove, it's an extremely dark film that's also a slapstick farce. It's...idiosyncratic. It does help to pay close attention to it, but it still may not be your personal cup of tea. Peter Sellers was somewhere inbetween a genius and a lunatic.
Farce is a good word to describe it.

A 7.5 is nearly terrible?
It's a running joke/horrible truth with video game journalism. Ratings are almost always "out of 10", but anything below an 8 is considered mediocre if not awful.

That doesn't even make sense, but okay whatever.

A 7.5/10 or
+ on this forum is usually considered a pretty solid rating by most people.

That doesn't even make sense, but okay whatever.

A 7.5/10 or
+ on this forum is usually considered a pretty solid rating by most people.
That's my point. 7.5 should be above average.

Despite that there's an entire related medium where critical reviews almost unanimously condemn anything with that kind of score.

It's silly enough to use a 10 point system,
it's even sillier to use decimal points,
it's the ultimate silliness when that system devolves into:
10 is perfect, 9 is really good, 8 is just good, and 7-1 is an insult.

Not trying to derail the topic, but I don't think using a numerical rating system is silly. I think it makes a great shorthand for people to get a general idea of what you think of something. I do think it gets a little ridiculous when people break it down to decimals beyond a half point, though like a 6.3/10. I see ratings like that around the board sometimes.

Not trying to derail the topic, but I don't think using a numerical rating system is silly. I think it makes a great shorthand for people to get a general idea of what you think of something. I do think it gets a little ridiculous when people break it down to decimals beyond a half point, though like a 6.3/10. I see ratings like that around the board sometimes.
I agree. I try to emphasize what I mean when I give a specific rating though. The overuse of numerical rating systems tends to devalue the product being considered.

I'd give Cloud Atlas a "3" out of 5 for example. That doesn't exactly help inform people whether or not they should see it though, since I do recommend people see it for the seriously wide range of characters the actors in it play.

I'd give Cloud Atlas a "3" out of 5 for example. That doesn't exactly help inform people whether or not they should see it though, since I do recommend people see it for the seriously wide range of characters the actors in it play.
No, but it does help to inform them where your tastes in movies lie. It also will help them to decide whether they're interested in reading what you have to say about it (if the rating accompanies a review) or in asking you for your thoughts on the film.

Ratings are problematic, because stuff like movies, videogames and stuff are multidimensional, complex things, while a rating is only single dimensional: it is either higher or lower.

I also think that games are easier to rate than movies or music. Games are a bit more objective since they have gameplay and graphics which are both pretty objective. I find it easier for me to enjoy videogames that are highly rated than movies as well. Although that might be because AAA videogames are made for the tastes of my demographic (young male).