A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Did you also get some Aguirre the Wrath of God vibes when they were on the raft or was that just the virtue of "people in period costume traveling down river on a raft."

Aguirre is perpetually on my "I really should get around to watching that at some point" list, but I'll keep an eye on that when I get to Aguirre*.

*Assuming I actually do get to it, I really should dammit.

Aguirre is perpetually on my "I really should get around to watching that at some point" list, but I'll keep an eye on that when I get to Aguirre*.

It has monkeys.

Victim of The Night
Well after a long delay finally getting around to the All the Haunts be Ours box set. Gonna go disc by disc, starting with #2 as I want to save the actual documentary til the end so as to not risk influencing any of my viewings. So that means I started with Eyes of Fire. The story is about a preacher run out of town and the folks that follow him into Shawnee/french territory where they find an seemingly abandoned homestead and decide to settle there, from there things start to get weird. The film does a good job with the set up and things escalate nicely til they reach a pretty explosive crescendo, like literally there are way more explosions in the this film than I would ever have expected. While those explosions tend to stand out and feel out of place the rest of the effects do a good job of setting the mood and lending a creepy atmosphere to things. The cast is pretty game and there are plenty of interesting characters, the standout however is Leah who seems to have her own special powers. She is presented in such a striking manner and the actress has a magnetic presence that it's hard to look away from her, really helps elevate the weird but also give you a hope they can survive. So definitely a great start to the set with beautiful foggy landscapes and weird horrors soaked into the land. There is a longer cut re-titled Crying Blue Sky that I will also try and watch, possibly at the end of this endeavor to see how it compares.
I really dig Eyes Of Fire.
I did not really dig it the first time and in fact didn't finish it. And yet I went back and since I did it has been one of my secret favorites.

Disc 3 of All the Haunts primary feature is Leptirica (or The She-Butterfly) a loose adaptation of Serbian Vampire story called After Ninety Years. After a series of deaths at the town Mill a group of villages decide it is the vampire Sava Savanović doing the killings. Meanwhile a poor young man is in love with a grumpy land owner's daughter who refuses to give her away. The semi bumbling villages and poor boy make up the majority of the run time but they are pretty entertaining. A bit where they try to talk to an old lady who is very hard of hearing to find the grave is predictable but still amusing. The horror elements are fairly light but the the early attacks have some decent intensity to them and near the conclusion there is a very amusing visual which with a bride to be "riding" her soon to be husband. In enjoyed it though I think some of the core relationships and characters could have used more time to develop, it was only a TV movie with a 63 minute run time. There are a couple other not quite feature length films on this disk (like 45 min and 60 min) that I'll get to next.

Victim of The Night
Disc 3 of All the Haunts primary feature is Leptirica (or The She-Butterfly) a loose adaptation of Serbian Vampire story called After Ninety Years. After a series of deaths at the town Mill a group of villages decide it is the vampire Sava Savanović doing the killings. Meanwhile a poor young man is in love with a grumpy land owner's daughter who refuses to give her away. The semi bumbling villages and poor boy make up the majority of the run time but they are pretty entertaining. A bit where they try to talk to an old lady who is very hard of hearing to find the grave is predictable but still amusing. The horror elements are fairly light but the the early attacks have some decent intensity to them and near the conclusion there is a very amusing visual which with a bride to be "riding" her soon to be husband. In enjoyed it though I think some of the core relationships and characters could have used more time to develop, it was only a TV movie with a 63 minute run time. There are a couple other not quite feature length films on this disk (like 45 min and 60 min) that I'll get to next.
I enjoyed this film. I got on board with the humor and I liked the creepy folk-horror feel of it, so much in the daytime, and of course the final reveal.

Over the past year at my friends movie nights when we didn't have enough time at the end of the night for a full movie we have been watching episodes of Kolchak, I was not familiar with it prior to this. Have been very much enjoying them. So tonight at movie night we watched the 2 tv movies The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler that started it all. They play out very much like extended episodes of the show that would follow but really everything involving Kolchak is carried by Darren McGavin's performance. Kolchak is an absolute ******* but he is such a darned lovable one that he can get away with it. The films really get to emphasize his often strained relationship with his boss Tony Vincenzo and their shouting matches rarely fail to bring a smile to my face. The mysteries at the heart of each story are interesting enough to drive the plot forward but I honestly think you could replace them even with more mundane things and Kolchak would carry it through. So glad I got introduced to the show and got to see these movies, their ambition frequently out paces their budget but everyone is so game that it doesn't matter and it all falls into place as wonderful entertainment.

City of the Living Dead, 1980, 3rd watch (A+)

I can't get enough of this overly stylish Italian nonsense. This and The Beyond are absolute peak cinema.

Do it!

Victim of The Night
City of the Living Dead, 1980, 3rd watch (A+)

I can't get enough of this overly stylish Italian nonsense. This and The Beyond are absolute peak cinema.
It is wonderful. I have even been able to convince some of my RL friends that this obvious fact is, well, obvious fact.

Victim of The Night
I thought I would post my Letterboxd reaction to a film I have long maligned, often to the chagrin of some of my fellow crammers.

I stand corrected.
Prom Night is not, in fact, The Second Worst Slasher Ever.
After attending The Broad Theater's screening of it last night I must admit the film is far better than I have ever given it credit for. Yes, it is slow at times and yes, it fumbles at times. But it is a competent slasher with some surprisingly good direction, moments of surprising humanity, and a genuinely tragic if jarringly abrupt ending.
It is also amusing how obvious Jamie Lee Curtis' star-quality is in this very low-budget film (recalling my previous position on Helen Hunt in Trancers), more so than is really evident in Halloween, even though she's obviously the best that film has to offer outside of Donald Pleasance. And who knew she's a helluva dancer too?
If I may pick some of the nits that have bothered me in the past which came up again on this viewing - and, to be clear, these are nits I had forgotten but became painfully obvious again on this re-watch - I submit the following:
There are some really good shots in this movie demonstrating legitimate vision on the part of someone. However, these are interspersed between amateurish dragging about of the camera for much of the time in between. Whether the director knew the shots he wanted and got the camera in the right place despite a bad cinematographer or a good cinematographer framed some great shots for a visionless director is unclear, though I favor the former considering how well the film holds together overall. It is documented that most if not all of the crew had literally just graduated from film school.
The jarringly abrupt ending to the film, with the credits rolling before the audience can really even process what has been revealed, actually lowers the film's class like a whole level for me. Why not be clearer here? Did everyone in the theater even understand what happened and why? Why not linger on the moment long enough to resolve the way it should make the audience feel? I'm not sure that a full denouement scene here would have been unwelcome.
Another concerning issue for me, particularly with regard to the ending, was the focus on the grief of the parents of the original victim and the abandonment thereof after the movie's tragic reveal. We spend a little time with the film's biggest star portraying the father of the victim, as well as his wife, the mother of the victim, and how they are effected. Then there is a scene perhaps halfway through the film between him and the later-revealed killer that feels in retrospect like it should have meant something... but because we only see either of the parents for a fleeting moment the entire rest of the film it doesn't. When compounded with that fleeting moment, a quick scene of the parents of the victim apparently leaving for the prom (yes they have other children there but the moment is clearly about their grief), a seeming setup for... something... but then we never see them again... it feels like a half-baked idea that didn't even get baked in post. Considering the reveal, why didn't we see them then?! The audience's stunned reaction to the credits suddenly rolling confirmed that I am not crazy on this point. It took about ten seconds for the room to process that the film had actually ended.
The last issue I had, and it's funny because it has really bothered me a LOT each time I've seen it, despite forgetting about it in between each viewing (but then rediscovering how much it rankled me), was an odd thematic shift seemingly for no reason other than to resolve a set piece (that was apparently forced on the film by the production company). The film goes through some exertion to establish the killer's weapon as being very specific and for very good reason. There are multiple scenes establishing how it is obtained, foreshadowing its use, and why exactly it is what it is. It's even on the ******* poster! And then, exactly halfway through the kills (2/4), the killer just picks up a random axe and uses that for the rest of the movie. Just like that, the main visual thematic component of the film, which was laboriously introduced, is no longer relevant and completely forgotten by the film, though not by the audience who are left to wonder, "Why did they even bother to establish a very good idea only to completely abandon it?" And while on the subject of the poster, the introduction of the mask found thereon and prominent in the film is completely bungled by a shot that should have been there but isn't.
Nits now picked, I must admit that the movie's positives, a cogent script, multiple credible red-herrings, better-than-expected performances of characters you can actually identify, and a strong climax, as well as moments of both pathos and actual tragedy, certainly outweigh its shortcomings.
In short, if that is still possible, Prom Night won me over.

Victim of The Night
Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II > Prom Night
Yeah, I'll give you no argument there.
HML is almost certainly the best Elm Street rip-off that isn't an obvious Elm Street rip-off ever made. Though I'd have to give a little love to The Dead Pit as well.

Yeah, I'll give you no argument there.
HML is almost certainly the best Elm Street rip-off that isn't an obvious Elm Street rip-off ever made. Though I'd have to give a little love to The Dead Pit as well.
To be fair I've only seen Prom Night once and while I didn't actively dislike it, I retained very little of it. Literally the only thing I remember is Slick and his sweet van. So I'm kinda glad to hear that you're only lukewarm on it because I just assumed that everyone here was a fan and I was once again the odd man out.

To be fair I've only seen Prom Night once and while I didn't actively dislike it, I retained very little of it. Literally the only thing I remember is Slick and his sweet van. So I'm kinda glad to hear that you're only lukewarm on it because I just assumed that everyone here was a fan and I was once again the odd man out.

I know my Prom Night activism might seem like multiple people all screaming at the same time, but I'm pretty sure it's just me.

Maybe Rock too. But he doesn't count because he quit.

Victim of The Night
No, look, I'll say that this is my third viewing of the film as a grownup (I have some recollection of it as a teenager but more the later scenes) and I flat-out thought it was shit on the first viewing, softened on it significantly on the second, and now, after the third, I think I actually like it enough that I would watch it yet again if someone wanted to and I would enjoy a good bit of it. I focused a lot on my nits in the write-up because I have been so negative about the film for so long I thought that I should explain some of the issues that I'd had. All of which are still true but I think they are overcome by the positives, not the least of which are Slick, well-defined characters, real tragedy, and Jamie Lee Curtis dancing.

Victim of The Night
If we're talking about Nightmare rip offs, you might as well go hardcore

Well, I was really referring just to the ones that are ripping off the spirit and the vibe of aNoES, not ones that are just straight-up ripping it off.

Well, I was really referring just to the ones that are ripping off the spirit and the vibe of aNoES, not ones that are just straight-up ripping it off.

Ya, but it's also a Bollywood musical so it brings all sorts of....nuance...to the Freddy Krueger mythology.