Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

Such information is valuable, but I don't have to know what camera and what lenses were used to shoot, say, Seconds to decide it's a visual masterpiece. It is incredibly aesthetic visually, and just watching the film is enough to tell. Similarly, I don't need to know how the 70s look was achieved in Late Night With the Devil to decide it's close enough to the 70s vibe for me to enjoy it. Of course, you can disagree and say it looks nothing like the 1970s, but I already addressed that point before and said I don't think it really matters anyway. I just think it's close enough and good enough, you don't. Maybe my standards are too low. I can accept this sort of explanation, but regardless, I'd love you to tell me what are your favorite:
1. Films that reproduce the 1970s aesthetic. (Or films that reproduce any sort of old-school aesthetic if you don't know any for that decade specifically.)
2. Films that are visual masterpieces. Let's say your top 10 best-looking movies.
I stopped being interested in engaging with you in good faith when you off-handed and condescendingly dismissed my criticism with vague and vapid "it's still good though." I just wanted to get you to admit you didn't actually care or know what you were talking about beforehand. Thus, I'm satisfied.

Have a great one!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Fair enough. I think knowing & analyzing the technical aspects too much is detrimental to experiencing films. Films are not meant to be analyzed like that unless you want to make your own movies as a filmmaker. There's absolutely no point in going frame by frame to analyze a movie - something film critics sometimes do - it totally ruins the film as a whole. Films work magic because they're experienced as a whole, not a sum of its parts. And the whole is usually much more than the sum of its parts. I have nothing against knowledgeable people pointing out trivia inconsistencies, this-couldn't-works, and so on, but this does feel like minor nibbles that they somehow extrapolate to huge issues that stop them from even enjoying the film. There are some films I think are visual masterpieces and I know people knowledgeable about cinematography who say some shots were underlit and so on, and I thank God I couldn't tell because I know this sort of nit-picking would totally ruin my enjoyment. Then again, maybe those shots were underlit, or maybe it's what I think it is: chiaroscuro. Or maybe it's a failed attempt at chiaroscuro, which would make both of us right. Opinions were wary, and I learned to trust nobody but my own aesthetic sense and taste.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Some movies can be so 'cheesy' or 'bad' or outright demented that they transcend form. They create a new language out of film.

The problem with this one is that it hems too closely to what it hopes to achieve, and as a result, it just comes off as a watered down, flaccid version of the real thing. Basically it's lazy, and I swear the more I think about the script being a product of AI, at least partially, the more I can't shake the feeling that this is how such a dumb things could be generated without it at least being somewhat entertaining, or form busting.

With a concept like this, I literally went into it expecting it to be either absurd to the point of transcendence. I wasn't expecting a serious experience with a movie. I was, minimally, hoping for what one would call a bit of fun. But it was just so amateurish, in all the bad connotations of this word (and I usually champion the amateur as much as I do the masters).

I don't begrudge anyone for liking it, though. Only saying it baffles me. I don't even understand how someone with bad taste could like it. It seems like it should exist right in the nether region where neither serious or unserious movie goers would give it the time of day. But instead, in this world that has clearly gone upside down, it now gets credit from both camps.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The amount of vitriol you have for this film is unbelievable - even more than I do for Marvel movies.

Didn't like it? Just forget it and move on. I don't mean it in a condescending way. I just see no point in wasting any more time on discussing a film one so vehemently disliked.

Crummy, you seen Ghostwatch? It's also on Shudder and it pulls off the TV special meets supernatural horror so well that it Orson Welles'd the UK into thinking it was real.

The amount of vitriol you have for this film is unbelievable - even more than I do for Marvel movies.

Didn't like it? Just forget it and move on. I don't mean it in a condescending way. I just see no point in wasting any more time on discussing a film one so vehemently disliked.

I don't think I'm wasting any time explaining why or how much I didn't think a movie worked. This is a movie forum. That's what happens here. And I like talking about movies I have strong feelings about, whether positive or negative.

It's not like I've spent the last week stewing over it in my personal life. But when I come here, and there is a discussion going on about it, why wouldn't I respond in a way that represents how I feel?

Crummy, you seen Ghostwatch? It's also on Shudder and it pulls off the TV special meets supernatural horror so well that it Orson Welles'd the UK into thinking it was real.

I don't think so. I've heard of it for awhile, but not sure if I ever actually watched the thing. Probably not.

I don't think so. I've heard of it for awhile, but not sure if I ever actually watched the thing. Probably not.
It wasn't available outside the UK until fairly recently. Got a blu-ray release and added to Shudder. Hope you give a whirl. Curious how you'll respond to it.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with FilmBuff. "This couldn't work because back then they shot on Quadruplex!" is valuable trivia for nerds, but hardly a reason the film doesn't work. Can't people suspend their disbelief anymore? Apart from some poor CGI, like the vomit, and the sporadic use of AI, which is always unacceptable, this was really well-made and fun. The denouement of supernatural guilt was a little bit disappointing in how glaringly obvious/Aronofskian it got but anything that came before was a good time
I can be OK with the fact that most filmmakers are trying to do something that's accessible to the average viewer (which I am very much not). I don't expect most directors to cater to my very particular likes/dislikes.

While horror is definitely not one of my favorite genres, like any other genre I still tend to be much more appreciative of the ones that aren't coming from the major studios, because I think the horror movies from the studios, with very few exceptions, tend to be the weakest and most derivative of all.

And so far this year, the only non-studio horror movies that have played in theaters in my area are Late Night with the Devil and Stopmotion. Coincidentally or not, those are also the only ones (again, so far this year) that I feel might even be worth revisiting at some point.