Americans’ New TV Habit: Subscribe. Watch. Cancel. Repeat.

Tools    

Well, I talked myself into resubscribing to Crave. I will likely only keep it for a month. I did it mostly so I can watch Anyone But You. The things I do for Sydney Sweeney.

Well, I talked myself into resubscribing to Crave. I will likely only keep it for a month. I did it mostly so I can watch Anyone But You. The things I do for Sydney Sweeney.
She's worth every penny!

I've seen 15 of her films now. I want to watch her entire filmography.
Sydneymania!!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yep, guilty as charged. All the services are like girls wanting to go out with me, and I choose a different one each month. TONGO a Baller
The joke's on you because you have to pay these girls.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

"The money's on the dresser."
- Me, to Hulu, every month.
This is where yearly subscriptions sometimes help!

This is where yearly subscriptions sometimes help!
If Hulu had a discount for annual for the no ads plan, I'd definitely do it, but their only annual discounts are for the ad-supported plans.

If Hulu had a discount for annual for the no ads plan, I'd definitely do it, but their only annual discounts are for the ad-supported plans.
Yeah, a yearly subscription to the Hulu/D+ ad-free package would hit the sweet spot for me, but since that's not an option right now, I'm more likely to go with the "subscribe every other month or so" plan.

I'm thinking of resubscribing to Crave (Canada's equivalent to HBO Max) because I want to watch Anyone But You. It's 9.99/month for the basic ad supported level, but there isn't much else on there that I want to watch, so I'm not sure if it is really subscribing.
Watched it yesterday. Never watch rom-coms, but this was ok. Sydney very watchable.

A couple of services that nobody's mentioning are Hoopla and Kanopy. In many US cities, your local library card gets your free access to everything they have to offer.
Tried yesterday here in Connecticut. I think they’re both cancelled. I wanted to stream Memoria.

You’re in love.

She's worth every penny!
You’re in love too.

I've seen 15 of her films now. I want to watch her entire filmography.
Has she made so many movies? First time I saw her was in the Handmaid’s Tale as Eden. She had one of the most gruesome deaths in the entire series.

Has she made so many movies? First time I saw her was in the Handmaid’s Tale as Eden. She had one of the most gruesome deaths in the entire series.
She has been in 28 films,plus several tv shows and short films.

She has been in 28 films,plus several tv shows and short films.
Wow. I also saw her in Euphoria. Very good.

Shudder isn't very good, but every month, I'd say maybe two or three things might pop up which just about justify it. Plus, there are some standard classics on there I've seen a million times, and probably have a copy of somewhere, that I like to have the easy access too.

Criterion is rock solid. Every month lots of movies, and lots that I want to see or haven't heard of.

Mubi has really pared back their offerings over the last six months to the point that I think anyone who is paying there hefty fee should have a right to complain. There whole thing was a new movie a day and now it's.....sometimes a new movies shows up...sometimes they pretend a movie that was already on their service or that they literally just lost the rights to, is a new offering. It still has loads of things I like, and it's been invaluable for finding modern films I find really interesting, but if it wasn't for the fact that my ex renews my subscription ever year, I would be getting annoyed over how much less they are now giving for the same price.

Yeah, I can't help but feel like Shudder concentrated only around October *feels* better, but once you do enough of the surrounding months "to get into the spirit," it didn't cost that much more to do a year with the discount (at least, the last time I did that calculation, years ago. Before the streaming services started tightening and hiking up rates a lot. Maybe it's time to reconsider. Still, having live channels is nice).

Criterion feels like it's just exploding with content recently. Maybe it's just a perception thing. Hard to tell.

Mubi used to be originally, literally only 30-31 movies in the entire library. The whole, one movie goes in, one movie goes out. One might say you were paying for the curation, another might be just solving the analysis paralysis of abundance of choice. Then they just kind of accepted people want a library and things stuck around. I didn't subscribe in those early days, but I remember the ad reads, including to when they changed. Somewhere in the time I've subscribed, it feels like the "movie of the day" curation feature disappeared (which was a bummer), and the existence of the back library combined with keeping movie of the day is probably what you're noticing (and I guess introducing movies into the service like other services do and not doing it one movie a day is going to do that). But the other thing I've been noticing more this year is, it seems like they're distributing movies now that I don't recall them ever doing before (the first one I was aware of was Decision to Leave and played a part in me signing up for the service in the first place). But maybe that's anecdotal and I just didn't grok they were doing it before.