Uncut lists the 100 greatest debut albums of all time!

Tools    

Originally Posted by linespalsy
Is Pavement mainstream (I honestly don't know, the first time I heard of them was here)?
They're certainly not 'underground' (though whether a true 'underground' can even exist in the internet era is open to question).

The point is more that the list reads like a hipster's guide to major label music, sort of a calculated attempt to triangulate between a list acceptable to indie nerds and one that will move magazines when a normal person picks it up.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Purandara88
They're certainly not 'underground' (though whether a true 'underground' can even exist in the internet era is open to question).

The point is more that the list reads like a hipster's guide to major label music, sort of a calculated attempt to triangulate between a list acceptable to indie nerds and one that will move magazines when a normal person picks it up.
How is it a guide to major label music? "The Velvet Underground & Nico" was totally ignored by the critics and the majority of the public when it was released. Some of the usually pretty all-covering critics didn't even bother to review it. What the list is is a guide to music that the people of Uncut considers to be groundbreaking. There's both major label releases and independent label releases on the list, and my guess is that the independent releases are in majority. These albums had some form of impact on some form of music scene and even if you despise that scene, you can't deny it. There are no black metal debut albums on there because, firstly, Uncut is a not a metal magazine, but possibly also because no black metal band has yet produced an album that has had the same impact as bands like those on the list. That would kind of go against the whole agenda of black metal since I suspect that those bands dread the whole concept of popularity, unless it's among their peers. There are bands that have had great impact on the extreme metal scene, I'm sure (I guess that would be bands like Emperor, Mayhem, Deicide, Immortal.. well, you know a lot more about them than I do), but that would have to be a list of its own.

About Pavement (yes, I am a fan). Have you heard "Slanted and Enchanted"? There's not one song on the album that a major radio channel would play and still there are beautiful songs with some pretty good lyrics on there (you have to like melodies to appreciate it, I guess). And, like it or not, it's certainly not a mainstream realese, neither technically nor in any other form.

Originally Posted by linespalsy
Pretty sure Compton wasn't NWA's debut.
Yeah, there's actually a couple of more mistakes like that. I think My Bloody Valentine had made one album before "Isn't Anything" and I'm also pretty sure Eminem made one before "The Slim Shady LP".

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by adidasss
and indie nerds are a lower life form than metal nerds ?
In that the former valorize a musical form with no creative value, yes.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
How is it a guide to major label music? "The Velvet Underground & Nico" was totally ignored by the critics and the majority of the public when it was released.
It was released by an imprint of MGM!!! How can it NOT be a 'major label' release?

Moreover, it's reception in 1967 aside, punk-leaning and later indie critics have been fellating the band's entire catalog for well-nigh on 30 years now, they sit squarely in the contemporary mainstream.

What the list is is a guide to music that the people of Uncut considers to be groundbreaking.
Yeah, and the point is that Uncut wouldn't know 'groundbreaking' if it bit them on the tiny dicks they make these lists to overcome. Mainstream rock music has never had a groundbreaking idea in all its long and storied history.

There's both major label releases and independent label releases on the list, and my guess is that the independent releases are in majority.
There aren't more than 5 'independent' releases in the top 50, and several of these are 'independent' in the way that Miramax is an 'independent' film company.

These albums had some form of impact on some form of music scene and even if you despise that scene, you can't deny it.
Who cares if they had an impact on an uncreative scene? Derivative product is derivative product, regardless of its impact on other, derivative product. There are maybe four or five releases on the whole damn list that transcend mere entertainment (The Doors, Black Sabbath, Murmur, and, if you're exceptionally charitable Isn't Anything and perhaps Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Maybe, maybe, MAYBE Captain Beefheart if novelty for its own sake is your thing. The rest? Disposable crap - more plastic for the landfill.

There are no black metal debut albums on there because, firstly, Uncut is a not a metal magazine, but possibly also because no black metal band has yet produced an album that has had the same impact as bands like those on the list.
Creatively, any Burzum album is more significant than the entire gaggle of throwaway pop bands on that list.

But seriously, you don't even have to go for metal (or even, necessarily, off of the major labels) to find far more artistically important releases then this crap:

Where's Brian Eno? In the Court of the Crimson King? Maeror Tri? Kraftwerk? Dead Can Dance? Something, anything working outside the verse/chorus pentatonic box?

About Pavement (yes, I am a fan). Have you heard "Slanted and Enchanted"? There's not one song on the album that a major radio channel would play and still there are beautiful songs with some pretty good lyrics on there (you have to like melodies to appreciate it, I guess). And, like it or not, it's certainly not a mainstream realese, neither technically nor in any other form.
Oh horse****, they're a pop band dressed up in bad production and irritating harmonic intervals. That doesn't make them any less 'mainstream.'

It was released by an imprint of MGM!!! How can it NOT be a 'major label' release?

Moreover, it's reception in 1967 aside, punk-leaning and later indie critics have been fellating the band's entire catalog for well-nigh on 30 years now, they sit squarely in the contemporary mainstream.
Eh.. well... I guess all this people regard it as a pretty important album then.

Yeah, and the point is that Uncut wouldn't know 'groundbreaking' if it bit them on the tiny dicks they make these lists to overcome. Mainstream rock music has never had a groundbreaking idea in all its long and storied history.
"That's, like, your opinion, man". It's really hard to discuss bananas with someone that hates bananas. You don't agree with the list simply because you hate the kind of music it lists. I wouldn't say that your opinion is totally irrelevant, but it comes pretty close.

There aren't more than 5 'independent' releases in the top 50, and several of these are 'independent' in the way that Miramax is an 'independent' film company.
Ok, so maybe you got me on that one, I didn't "research" it very well before I wrote that before. And if you're right I have to say that it's another sign of the big record companies in the past being a lot more about good music than about **** and biceps.

Who cares if they had an impact on an uncreative scene? Derivative product is derivative product, regardless of its impact on other, derivative product. There are maybe four or five releases on the whole damn list that transcend mere entertainment (The Doors, Black Sabbath, Murmur, and, if you're exceptionally charitable Isn't Anything and perhaps Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Maybe, maybe, MAYBE Captain Beefheart if novelty for its own sake is your thing. The rest? Disposable crap - more plastic for the landfill.
Again, you're being completely subjective. I've had this discussion a million times with all kinds of prog rock nerds, metal nerds, art rock nerds or whatever. It's just a matter of taste. To me the black metal scene is interesting to a certain degree and in some cases it's even very artistic, but it is as often pretty laughable to me. You can't tell me that after having witnessed a handfull of norwegian bands, all masked like demons and corpses and bathing in pig blood on stage while hissing in the microphone, that I'm suppose to think that each of those band is unique? They are just anohter scene, on the ground, over ground, underground... It really doesn't matter. And just like any other scene the bands belonging to it all sound pretty similar in the ears of someone who's not into it. Like Velvet Underground sound in your ears. ...I'm kind of surprised that you think Doors and Sabbath are acceptable while you seem to think VU are awful.

Creatively, any Burzum album is more significant than the entire gaggle of throwaway pop bands on that list.
Please explain to me why an imprisnoned nazi with a syntheziser and an obsession with darkness and Old Norse is that significant. I would agree, it isn't completely uninteresting. But replace Count Grishnackh with a 17-year old computer geek with pimples and you would probably not even consider it. And the list lists debut albums and it wasn't until he went to prison that Burzum's albums started to be interesting, right?

But seriously, you don't even have to go for metal (or even, necessarily, off of the major labels) to find far more artistically important releases then this crap:

Where's Brian Eno? In the Court of the Crimson King? Maeror Tri? Kraftwerk? Dead Can Dance? Something, anything working outside the verse/chorus pentatonic box?
I don't know. As for Kraftwerk, who I love by the way, I don't think it was until their third or fourth album that they really started to get their vision together. They themselves refuse to re-release their earliest albums since they don't want to even be associated with them, or so I've read. And again, the list lists great debut albums, not just great albums.

Oh horse****, they're a pop band dressed up in bad production and irritating harmonic intervals. That doesn't make them any less 'mainstream.'
Ah, you don't like the verse-chorus structure...

So which debut albums would you put on the list?

For starters, I don't think there's anything like 100 debut albums that are creatively significant enough to be worth noting. For most artists, the first release is either rushed, heavily dependent on influences, or both. Merely defining 'debut' is itself rather problematic. Is a band's 'debut' its first 'professional' recording? Its first release for a label? Its first album-length recording? A band like Discharge would be hard to pin down, they released five 7" or 12" EPs before rolling out their (monumental) first LP, Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing in 1982. That last album undoubtedly belongs on the list...if you consider a band's first long player to be their 'debut'. What about demos? Quite a few bands have recorded demo tapes that are essentially full-length records, and, in underground genres, these often have as much, if not more influence than 'official' recordings.

Well, you're banned, but just in case you'll read this anyway...

For starters, I don't think there's anything like 100 debut albums that are creatively significant enough to be worth noting. For most artists, the first release is either rushed, heavily dependent on influences, or both.
Or none of the above. The exceptions sometimes end up on lists like Uncut's.

Merely defining 'debut' is itself rather problematic. Is a band's 'debut' its first 'professional' recording?
Pretty much, yeah.

Its first release for a label?
Yes.

Its first album-length recording?
Exactly.

A band like Discharge would be hard to pin down, they released five 7" or 12" EPs before rolling out their (monumental) first LP, Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing in 1982. That last album undoubtedly belongs on the list...
Well, a perfect example then!

if you consider a band's first long player to be their 'debut'.
Debut album - debut LP. I think it's pretty much the same thing, yes.

What about demos?
That's another thing. A demonstration of you talent with the aim of scoring a recording deal.

Quite a few bands have recorded demo tapes that are essentially full-length records, and, in underground genres, these often have as much, if not more influence than 'official' recordings.
I think you might have an idea for another list here. Except it would be even more problematic for you to make than the debut album list. If most debut albums are rushed and heavily dependent on influences - what does that say about demos?

Ooooh! i really enjoyed Is This It and Franz Ferdinand
I also liked (not on list) Left of the middle by Natalia Imbruglia

And do check my "art": Deviant

Originally Posted by VeronicaJ
Ooooh! i really enjoyed Is This It and Franz Ferdinand
I also liked (not on list) Left of the middle by Natalia Imbruglia
I wonder what P88 would have said about that.....

rhymes with Goebbels
probably one of the better musical discussions I've ever read on a randomly googled forum, so well done

But, aw, Animal Collective's debut was pretty lovely, as was Go! Team

rhymes with Goebbels
yeah, what happened to the guy anyway? He wasn't banned because of the posts in here was he?

Originally Posted by shirble
yeah, what happened to the guy anyway? He wasn't banned because of the posts in here was he?
Nope. He's a racist.

rhymes with Goebbels
hah, jeez

Silly Purandara. You just get more and more charming.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.

Van Halen

Nirvana - Bleach

There are so many good bands on that list. I think The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium and Toadies- Rubberneck should be on the list.