Breaking Bad

Tools    

I also love how Walt set up the shootout. It was so classy, and fit the character perfectly.

Throughout the week, we were thinking back to Scarface, and imagining that kind of route. But honestly, Tony doesn't hold a candle to Heisenberg. Walt is a genius, while Tony is merely a drug dealer to shot his way to the top.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Finished here. It's been fun.
Breaking Bad just sealed itself as the greatest TV show of all-time. The finale was a 10/10.It was funny,sad,tragic,epic,dark,unexpected and just perfect. Perfect.

If I was to be honest I have to say that I am disappointed. Not a lot - for the most part things turned out pretty much as I thought they would. I think that is the problem I have. Everything sealed up too fine, I think the keys falling into Walt's lap when he prayed, told me the rest of the story before it happened.

Who was NOT routing for Walt to get his keys back off the pool table? (no one)

Who knew that Walt was going to tackle Jessie when it was time? (everyone)

Who knew that Meth daemon was going to die at the hands of Jessie? (most)

It was all wrapped in a perfectly created Breaking Bad fan bow -

I am glad that in the end Walt gave a **** about the money -- I loved that part.

Overall a 9/10 series for me... so not complaining here.

The Adventure Starts Here!
7thson, I agree that the key thing in the visor was a bit convenient... but I think the writers kinda let us know they realized that by having Walt first go through a bunch of gyrations trying to hotwire the thing on his own in the cold.

Only THEN does he think to check for a set of keys in the visor. Frankly, though, a mechanic we used to use always put our keys there after he was done with our car, and it's a fairly common practice in a lot of situations. Kinda like the ol' trick of hiding a spare house key in the mailbox or under a rock or flower pot just outside the door... obvious, but common.

As for tackling Jesse, I wasn't clear on that until Walt and Jesse eyed each other in that room. I'm convinced (having watched the finale three times so far) that Walt was really genuinely angry that Jesse was cooking again and really thought he had partnered somehow with Uncle Jack and Todd. Or, he at least suspected it and wanted to test the waters first.

I think that's precisely why he yelled to Jack about Jesse -- to get them to bring Jesse into the room too... if only to have them all die in a blaze of gunfire. If he had seen that Jesse was well-fed, well-groomed, and obviously a partner of some sort, rather than a prisoner, I have no doubt he would have let Jesse have it along with everyone else, perhaps even himself.

But when he saw Jesse looking like the caged animal he obviously had become, and he saw that hunted look in his eyes (which was incredibly moving, by the way), he knew he had to get him out of there. It was all water under the bridge by then. Time to redeem himself.

And so he tackles Jesse and gets them both out of the line of fire. I think it was a decision he made only after he saw Jesse face to face. Before then, I think the jury was still out on whether Walt would include Jesse in the gunfire.

Also, I found it astounding that that gun ripped through cement walls and conveniently killed so many of them so cleanly too. I would have expected more of them writhing around with flesh wounds.

And who didn't love the guy dead in the massage chair, still undulating up and down?

Yeah, the dead guy still "breathing"? I think it was meant to remonstrate "us" the viewers.

I was intrigued how the last time we saw Marie - there was no purple - no Hank, no enjoyment, no fluffy purple rug she could rely on .

Marie really was a bitch - wish Jessie had met her to tell her so. ;^)

A system of cells interlinked
"Feelin a little under the weather, Lydia? Good bye, Lydia."

Love it!

Tons of spoilers below!

Loved the beginning with Gretchen and Elliot.I noticed that Walt turned even crazier,I guess,losing family and being isolated does its job.
Overall,a decent finale but not extremely great,expected it to be more sentimental maybe,Walt's death was not that impressive,nazi killing was a bit unrealistic.Lydia's death was quite logic and it was such a moment full of hate when Jesse killed Meth Damon.
I'd say that I am satisfied but not overly impressed.

I'd say that I am satisfied but not overly impressed.
This is my feeling - but being satisfied is maybe more difficult than being impressed. That is how I take it all.

Okay fine - something is missing,

Jessie is a "loose end"

sigh

Exterminate all rational thought.
Just beautiful. I am so thoroughly satisfied with that ending. Great job Gilligan!

WARNING: "Breaking Bad" spoilers below
I do believe the final body count was 8(extra man at Uncle jack's, and not Jesse as I had thought). I loved every minute of that finale

I don't know if you can call Jesse a loose end, really. Obviously, his life will still be hard, at least for few months, but it's better than being chained up in a basement. He will most likely go on to do some carpentry for a living, as others here have suggested.

Walter let him go, the way a boss would let an employee go, who was ready to move on to bigger things. I'm fine with Jesse driving off into the night. I have no lingering thoughts on his character.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I still haven't figured out what happens to Jesse. He's on the lam now -- a fugitive, out on bail, no money, no one to help him. How long will he have that freedom before he's behind bars?

Also, why does everyone think Marie is such a bitch? When a man calls it like it is, he's honest and forthright. When a woman does, she's a bitch. Please. Get real.

I think we are meant to see her last "wardrobe" (white) to be a sign of hope. She's sounding like her old self -- logical, thinking ahead, thinking like Hank in some ways -- and we see she's actually doing better than Skyler emotionally. Then again, she has nothing but good memories of her husband and she's not being hounded by the DEA. She's a hero's widow.

I've never understood the bitch thing with either of these women. I think some of you folks have a rather large double-standard when it comes to qualities exhibited by men versus women in this show.

I'm not really a feminist (ask Yoda!), but I see this as a bit unfair.

And I agree with you, 7thson, that it's harder to satisfy a large TV audience than it is to impress them. It would have been the easy way out to have stuff all blowin' up and fireballs comin' outta the clubhouse. Yeah, baby, YEAH!

Honestly, I think BB took cues from other shows who wrapped up their finales by letting the viewers "interpret" the endings any way they want. To me, that's always felt like a cop-out. YOU WRITERS are the ones telling US a story, not the other way around. So, TELL it and FINISH it.

I think Gilligan and crew did that splendidly. And, as I predicted, we needed to leave our precious storyworld with the bad guys GONE so we could leave in peace. Jesse was never a huge menace to society in our view, so he could live. The ones who needed to die in order for the others to live peacefully are gone. End of story.

Great job, Gilligan!

I hope you remember what the box flashback is about.. It was mentioned earlier in the series. I don't think it refers to Jesse becoming a carpenter.

^^^^ Please elaborate!

I recall something about Jessie in shop class, but I can't recall any details other than that. :-/

I really can't say which season it was but there was a scene where Jesse was talking about school times.Technology(or whatever the subject is called) teacher asked students to make a box.So Jesse made a lame box,he did it just to do it and when he brought it to his teacher,he asked him: well,can't you do any better? Jesse was moved by those words,so he started again and he made a new box so carefully,he wasted lots hours for that box until it was perfectly smooth.He gave it to his mom.

I am pretty sure that flashback referred to that new box.

Found the scene,it's a bit different than I just told But yeah,now I watched it and it does refer that Jesse was interested in a way in carpentry.

Oh right, right...but wait, didn't he say that he didn't give it to his Mom, and instead bought drugs with it? Or maybe he decided to keep his drugs in it and not give the gift?

So yeah, I said I am not re-watching the series, but I am going to re-watch the series.

I've never understood the bitch thing with either of these women.
With Skyler, I honestly don't get it either. Every reaction she has is the most logically and emotionally sound reaction ever. Seriously, I loved her character because of how realistically she faces the situation. I sort of love her when she hates Walt, and also that she secretly still loves him.

Now, Marie's another story. I mean towards the end here, she's OK. But when there was no real drama involved with her, she was one annoying bitch, definitely. Snobby, self-righteous, possessive, spoiled. Just hated her. After Hank got shot, she got better though.
I hope you remember what the box flashback is about.. It was mentioned earlier in the series. I don't think it refers to Jesse becoming a carpenter.
Exactly, he talked about it on the addict meetings.