Jaws 2

Tools    

So I bought the remastered Blu-Ray of Jaws last year and I've watched it a few times since. There's not much I can say that has already been said before about the film. (e.g. There's no such thing as a prefect film... but Jaws is one of the closest there is)

I had almost forgotten about the the film's sequel Jaws 2. So I thought that I'd give it a watch to make up my own mind on it. I've seen the film before but I couldn't remember much of it (could only remember how it ended).

As for the film itself, I actually thought that it was good. The main problem, in agreement with other reviews I've read is the film's pacing and cuts. A lot of what made the first film great is that we never saw the shark properly that often. The shark is shown a little bit too much in this film. For example, at the start of the film, there is a scene which shows the shark coming into the docks showing a boat turn at night as the giant fish is passing it. Imaginations run wild... But then, the fin is shown coming out of the water. I just think that it is showing the audience too much.
The same for the water kite sequence. When the kid lifts of the water at the last second, a small wisp of a fin is seen which looks great. But then they go to an underwater shot of the whole shark.
However, there are still some very good sequences in the film. Some which made me jump :P

In my opinion, I think that with some small bits of editing this film could be a lot better. Not on par with the first film, but certainly up there. Some scenes run on just a tad too long. Especially the ones with the teenage sailors. The film could probably be about 10 minutes shorter than it needs to be.

John Williams score thumps and twists throughout again. Dare I say that some parts of the score are better than the first film. Also, I would have to say that Roy Scheider is definatley the main reason that the film didn't "sink" ( ). His portrayal of Brody is just as good as ever.

I would love to see the film get the same make over treatment as the first film maybe with suggested cuts and edits from perhaps Mr Spielberg. Perhaps if the studio had waited a year to let him finish Close Encounters then I wouldn't be making this thread.

What do you guys think?

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Ime not really a fan of Jaws 2, don't get me wrong it's a masterpiece if you compare it to Jaws 3, but my problem with the movie is what you stated, I think the suspense is taken away in this movie with the shark getting shown way to often.