Ross' Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Jackie

Jackie, portrayed by Natalie Portman, gives an unnerving insight to the assassination of JFK through the eyes of his wife Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy. The film follows the days immediately after the assassination and hones in on the First Lady's psychological lapse and her mentality with coming to terms with the death of her husband.

Portman superbly conveys a fragile grieving widow ,who is teetering on the edge of a breakdown. Although surrounded by her family and friends, Portman depicts a vacant look of isolation for Jackie who's only comfort is to ensure that her late husband has an elaborate funeral service that will ensure he has a lasting legacy.

On occasion Jackie is seen to be battling inner turmoil questioning her actions on the day and that she should have known, she could have saved him. Natalie Portman delivers an Oscar worthy performance of a woman whom internally is unhinged trying to maintain composure for the people around her.

Hacksaw Ridge

Hacksaw Ridge tells the true story of Desmond Doss, a conscientious objector, whom serves his country not through the killing of enemies but by saving his fellow soldiers in battle and on some occasions even the enemy.

This dramatic and gory depiction delivers a grotesque reality to the audience and Mel Gibson has successfully encapsulated the brutality of the war through various scenes of the film that hasn't been seen since the likes of Saving Private Ryan.

Andrew Garfield can successfully bid The Amazing Spider Man a fond farewell now, with this raw portrayal of emotion that is genuinely conveyed to the audience and his sheer determination to be able to save just one more.

Overall a great return for Mel Gibson and a major step up for Andrew Garfield that offers total clarity to why both parties have got Oscar nods for the film.

Gold (2016)

Gold follows the premise of a true story during the late 1980s and early 90s mining scandal of the apparent discovery of gold in Indonesia. Kenny Welsh, played by Matthew McConaughey in one of his most physically committed roles to date, is a man that has hit rock bottom in failing to maintain his family business and has now lost his home and is working out of a bar with what little dignity he has left. Welsh on the brink of total poverty, has a visionary dream that sends a surge of life back into him and he musters up several items to pawn to head for Indonesia in search for gold. In Indonesia he teams up with Michael Acosta, played by Edgar Ramirez, and establishes a contract and Welsh ensures he can fund Acosta in return for him finding Gold.

After the apparent 'discovery' there is an additional buzz from outside investors ready to offer an advisory role and to list the company on stock exchange and the film progresses and the truth is discovered that there has no in-fact been a gold discovery and the world was duped.

The film truthfully feels like a less glamorous and slower Wolf of Wall Street. There is no real connection or building of characters other than McConaughey's Kenny Welsh and the film merely coasts through with tedious dialogue and dull plot. Kudos to McConaughey for the commitment to the role physically as there is a genuine feel for a man that has hit rock bottom that is on his last leg. All and all, an extremely bland movie that feels like an attempt to recreate a similar nature to that of The Wolf of Wall Street.

The Lego Batman Movie

I remember putting off the LEGO movie for so long hoping that this, in my opinion, suspected ‘fad’ (boy was I wrong) would be quickly forgotten about. Then I watched it and although I’m in my early 20’s, the genuine hilarity and wittiness of this ‘kids’ film won me over immediately.

Then came the announcement of the LEGO Batman Movie and unlike stalling for the original I was actually excited to see this spin-off. With what many thought would be an insurmountable weight of expectations and originality, this film delivers on visuals, plot and cast and does so in style. Batman, voiced by Will Arnett, is a successful crime fighter; yet batters loneliness and isolation at his manor with only a computer and Alfred as his only genuine connections for contact. The Joker (Zach Galifianaskis) is hurt by Batman’s refusal to admit he is his greatest enemy- which leads to genius gags suggesting Batman prefers “fighting around”. It also takes aim and hits at Batman Vs Superman and introduces more cross-overs throughout, however I won’t spoil the fun if you haven’t seen this film.

Once again, this LEGO franchise will have both kids and parents laughing alike- and not through some silly slapstick humour (enter stupid fart noises here), but through genuinely quick witted gags and a profoundly funny script. If you too were like me and initially disregarded these films, please I urge you to rethink; I think you may be pleasantly surprised!