AMC Theatres to Release Three New Nicole Kidman-Led Ads

Tools    

"Heartbreak feels good"... yadda, yadda, yadda....

P.S.: folks who don't go to AMC Theaters, you don't know what you're missing!

AMC Theatres will release three new Nicole Kidman-led ads in its theaters starting in March, Variety has confirmed.

On March 1, a new 30-second version of the “We Make Movies Better” ad will make its theatrical debut at AMC locations nationwide. AMC Theatres will then rotate in two other never-before-seen-in-theaters versions of the original pre-show ad in the coming months.

“The main theme of the campaign remains the same: With state-of-the-art technology, luxurious amenities, and an unwavering commitment to excellence, AMC Theatres is the ultimate destination for moviegoers seeking unparalleled cinematic experiences. Quite simply, We Make Movies Better,” a statement from AMC reads.

AMC Theatres launched the “We Make Movies Better” ad campaign, featuring Oscar winner Kidman, in the fall of 2021. The ad is known for the line, “Somehow, heartbreak feels good in a place like this.”

In celebration of the campaign’s one-year anniversary, Oscar-nominated screenwriter Billy Ray spoke to Variety in 2022 about writing the iconic AMC ad.

“I was trying to think, ‘What do I so cherish about the movie-going experience?’ And, ‘Why is it so important for people to hear stories along with 1,000 other strangers?’ And what occurred to me was there are certain cathartic experiences that movies provide for us,” Ray said of iconic “heartbreak” line. “We see our characters go through hell, and we get to cry about that. There’s something very cleansing about it because it feels bad. But it doesn’t feel like what they’re feeling. They’re walking through the feeling for us. They’re walking through the devastation for us. And, so, our heartbreak does feel good in a place like that.”

She's about 55-60 years old but she looks 30 in these ads.
I'm pretty sure that's just the work of a good plastic surgeon.

No babe, that is the work of a great plastic surgeon.
Well, in all fairness, it all depends on what they had to work with in the first place. I do remember her face looking really weeeeeeiiiiiirdddd around the time she made The Golden Compass.

"Heartbreak feels good"... yadda, yadda, yadda....

P.S.: folks who don't go to AMC Theaters, you don't know what you're missing!

Since when did ads make news?

Since when did ads make news?
Since AMC hired Nicole Kidman for theirs.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
And since I have been watching that insanely annoying ad for two years. I guess at least we will get some variety.

I don’t know who this stuff is for. It’s the same way I feel about the thanks for coming out the theater bits that happen a lot now. You guys already got ME, I’m at the theater, I enjoy the theater experience. You aren’t saving cinema by pandering to people like me.

#JusticeForHamilton

Well, in all fairness, it all depends on what they had to work with in the first place. I do remember her face looking really weeeeeeiiiiiirdddd around the time she made The Golden Compass.
That is probably when she had the work done. The work needs to relax into its true form. I remember when Diana Rigg had her facelift. It was frightening but a year later it looked real good.

I loved the SNL parody it inspired:

Nicole Kidman looks GOOD. She can take me to the movies anytime.

Nicole Kidman looks GOOD. She can take me to the movies anytime.
Yeah, I would definitely look forward to the heartbreak that feels good in a place like that.

I loved the SNL parody it inspired:

The Saw version is better