Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You do know they based the story on Shakespeare's Tempest don't you? It's basically a contemporary future retelling of Tempest. The dialogue is also rooted deep in 1950s society, although I can understand a culture gap with it.
I didn't, and I'm not familiar with the Tempest, but I do know that that junk of a script is nothing like anything written by Shakespeare!!
I suspect any connection is very nominal. Interesting nonetheless.

Wanted eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. idK why people find it that interesting. It was an okayish watch i guess.

Wanted eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. idK why people find it that interesting. It was an okayish watch i guess.
Never been able to finish this movie though I have tried.

I don't actually wear pants.
I didn't, and I'm not familiar with the Tempest, but I do know that that junk of a script is nothing like anything written by Shakespeare!!
I suspect any connection is very nominal. Interesting nonetheless.
How can you know that if you aren't familiar with it?

How can you know that if you aren't familiar with it?
I am familiar with works of Shakespeare and the quality of his playwriting, and I am familiar with the film The Forbidden Planet and the quality of its plot and script.

I don't actually wear pants.
I am familiar with works of Shakespeare and the quality of his playwriting, and I am familiar with the film The Forbidden Planet and the quality of its plot and script.
These are not one and the same. I am starting to lose interest in this conversation. I think I'm going to end my part of it.

Watched the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, and it was a lot of fun! The stop motion effects were really good, and the acting was much better than expected. It's still a Godzilla clone, but I enjoyed it.

Didn't take any photos, and don't have all that much to say about it, but These Are the Damned (1962)
is a decent sci-fi and horror.
Particularly inventive sci-fi for the early 60s, and it makes a pretty decent job of it.
All things considered, I don't mind giving it an 8.5.

October 22, 2024

THE WILD ROBOT (Chris Sanders / 2024)
SATURDAY NIGHT (Jason Reitman / 2024)

Well, last week at the movies was a lot of fun. First up was The Wild Robot, a very cute and very intelligent animated sci-fi wilderness adventure about an all-purpose service robot named Roz (the voice of Lupita Nyong'o) - part of the ROZZUM series - who, due to an accident, finds herself stranded on an island populated by wildlife and devoid of humans to serve. Therefore, she must find herself a purpose and develops relationships with the local wildlife, as well as serving as a foster mother to an orphaned goose named Brightbill (Kit Connor). She is aided in her efforts by a sly fox named Fink (Pedro Pascal). I don't want to drone on any further, so I'll just say that it's a very fun, very entertaining animated feature, with very funny dialogue, lots of laughs, intelligent observations about modern society as well as questioning whether competition vs. cooperation is the key to survival, and a genuine sense of poignancy. There's a little something for everybody here, and I would heartily recommend it to anybody.

Next up, we've got Saturday Night, the true story of the chaotic events leading up to the first broadcast of Saturday Night Live on October 11, 1975. A very put-upon and stressed-out Lorne Michaels (a very good Gabriel LaBelle) - with only 90 minutes until showtime - is trying to deal with on-set accidents, friction between the actors, and a rebellious crew. On top of that, network man David Tebet (Willem Dafoe) has arrived on set and although the man is outwardly encouraging, it's 50/50 odds on whether or not he'll give this counter-culture longshot a chance and allow it to air live at the appointed time. For when asked what exactly the show is about, Lorne can't really give an easy answer. On top of that, he needs to encourage a very rebellious and wasted John Belushi (Matt Wood) to sign his contract before showtime. In the meantime, things threaten to get ugly between Chevy Chase (Cory Michael Smith) and Milton Berle (J.K. Simmons), the puritanical NBC censor Joan Carbunkle (Catherine Curtin) spars with Michael O'Donoghue (Tommy Dewey) and host George Carlin (Matthew Rhys) makes his own feelings known in no uncertain terms. In short, a quite famously bad case of last-minute collective showbiz jitters. But as history has proven, Saturday Night Live did make it to air, and has been entertaining us for the past 50 years. Very funny, very inspirational, and the actors playing the original SNL cast are very good in their roles, in particular Lamorne Morris as a perplexed Garrett Morris (no relation).

"I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours" - Bob Dylan, Talkin' World War III Blues (1963)