Three Most Remarkable Performances in Film or TV

Tools    

Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Ralph Fiennes as Amon Goeth, Schindler's List (1993)
(Tommy Lee Jones was fine in The Fugitive, but Fiennes' performance was stunning)

Jessica Lange as Frances Farmer, Frances (1982)
(A gut-wrenching performance; cry-yourself-to-sleep-afterwards type of experience)

And just for the heck of it ....
Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley, Aliens (1986)
"Get away from her, you bitch!"
"You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them f**ing each other over for a ******* percentage."
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."
"Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?"
Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Here's 3 more

Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda

Larry Hagman as J.R. Ewing in Dallas. Possibly the best TV villain ever.

Jerome Lester Horwitz as Curly in The Three Stooges. We used to clamor to see the three stooges, but only if it was a Curly episode.

Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda
I watched A Fish last year. I was howling at Kline.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Martin Landau in Ed Wood - My favorite movie performance. It just covers the gamut of acting and of the human experience so well. It's funny, sad, tragic, inspiring, elegiac, representative of what it means to be a good friend...you name it.
...I don't like Tombstone much but damn Kilmer is unforgettable in it.
Both excellent choices, but I wonder how much of that is due to the script giving their characters a sad but memorable ending? Still it takes a great actor to make it believable and make us feel their pain, so my hats off to them!

Both excellent choices, but I wonder how much of that is due to the script giving their characters a sad but memorable ending? Still it takes a great actor to make it believable and make us feel their pain, so my hats off to them!
I'd say they steal their movies way prior to their (admittedly memorable) ending moments... Landau had won me earlier with the bit in which he's wrestling a plastic "creature" in the lake (I was laughing my butt off) and Kilmer with the one-hand mug trick in front of the baddies at the saloon, to name a couple of examples.

Bruce Dern in The Cowboys (1972)

His performance was so intense that the young actors on the film were terrified of him even on the set, and would go out of their way to avoid him.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I'd say they steal their movies way prior to their (admittedly memorable) ending moments... Landau had won me earlier with the bit in which he's wrestling a plastic "creature" in the lake (I was laughing my butt off) and Kilmer with the one-hand mug trick in front of the baddies at the saloon, to name a couple of examples.

I can agree with that.