Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Reptile (2023)

It’s surprising and also a little encouraging that, despite a plethora of films and series present and past of its type, writers are nonetheless able to fashion a fresh, interesting and entertaining crime-thriller-police procedural. A good example of that is Reptile, whose original screenplay was created by writer/director Grant Singer, Benjamin Brewer, and Benicio del Toro.

Del Toro is the feature and main draw of the film, also starring Justin Timberlake, Alicia Silverstone, and with a nice turn by veteran Francis Fisher.

The story is relatively complex, with several red herrings to keep the viewer off the scent. Early on a real estate agent is found murdered in one of the high end homes that she and her boyfriend had been preening to facilitate a market sale. Two detectives (chiefly del Toro) are assigned to the case. Neighborhood security video shows a recognizable car make as the culprit’s likely vehicle.

Suspicion immediately centers on the boyfriend, but in turn switches to her ex-husband, and then to an ex-farmer whose father was bilked out of his land possibly by the realtor. Soon massive drug smuggling and real estate schemes enter the equation, eventually followed by the suspicion of a cadre of bad cops involved. The plot inexorably moves along, resulting in a classic whodunit conclusion.

One mark of a good picture is that the viewer immediately is convinced of its high quality by being drawn into the production’s atmosphere. Whether it’s the screenwriter, director, production designer, cinematographer, or a combination of all four, Reptile has that attraction right from the git-go. The title is a misnomer, having nothing to do with the movie, so one might be fooled as to the subject matter.

The acting is first rate from the entire cast, but it is Benicio del Toro who owns the film. He’s one of a handful of actors whose weathered looks, charisma and presence grab the viewer’s attention whenever he is on screen. The simplest facial expression of his pretty much conveys whatever it is he’s saying. He would’ve been a premier silent film actor. In fact he’s equally effective with non verbal expression as he is with dialogue.

The run time is 136 minutes, but the picture never feels labored. They might have made a good series out of the story, but it’s just right as it is. It’s surprising that writer/director Grant Singer’s only previous projects had been in commercials, music videos and a couple of documentaries. But based upon Reptile we’ll be looking for his future directing work.

Available on Netflix and other sources.

Doc’s rating: 8/10

Rebel Ridge

I have to confess that when I first watched the trailer for Rebel Ridge, I was fearing it would be something kind of like Road House, but stupider.

I'm happy to report, that's not the case. This is a revenge thriller that's relatively straightforward and practically guaranteed to keep you on the edge of your seat. Unless you're watching the movie standing up, which is probably not recommended.

Aaron Pierre, who is a Brit but plays an American here, does a pretty good job of being both a commanding presence and someone whose eyes clearly indicate he's way smarter than probably everyone else around him (The movie was originally supposed to star John Boyega).

AnnaSophia Robb is absolutely adorable as the straight-arrow local official who goes out of her way to help Pierre's Terry Richmond, who is a former marine and more trouble than any of the crooked local cops bargained for.

Also, let's hear it for Don Johnson, who is as good as anyone could be playing a slimy, no-good crooked sheriff of the backward Louisiana township where the film takes place.
I noticed that about Terry's eyes, you got the proper felling there were some serious cogs turning behind them. I liked this.

Francis Ford Coppola's Megalopolis: A Fable

Francis Ford Coppola's Megalopolis: A Fable is a mad masterpiece, and easily the most astonishing and memorable cinematic achievement of the 21st century.

Perhaps no other major filmmaker of our times besides Jean-Luc Godard has taken experimental cinema to the extremes that Coppola does here, with results that are both breathtaking and awe-inspiring, giving us a vision that only a true cinematic genius could possibly pull off.

Megalopolis is right up there with the likes of D.W. Griffiths's Intolerance and Abel Gance's Napoleon as one of those exceptional cinematic achievements that practically redefined what cinema as a narrative form was even capable of.

There's really never been a movie like this before, and perhaps there never will be again, because, really, who else besides Francis Ford Coppola would happily invest over $100 million of his own money on a project that was so completely and utterly uncommercial?

To fully appreciate this movie, having a hearty taste for experimental cinema is practically a prerequisite. People who do not love experimental cinema, or have not seen much of it, should probably just not even try to watch this; it is highly unlikely they could make heads or tails of it.

The experience of watching Megalopolis on a humongous IMAX screen is both dreamlike and completely intoxicating like very few movies of the last 50 years have been. You would have to go back, possibly, to the likes of 2001: A Space Odyssey to find something that was even in the same ballpark.

As with everything that has to do with experimental cinema, even those who already really like it may not be completely on board for everything that Coppola is trying to do here; the point really doesn't seem to be so much any kind of conventional narrative (although there is unquestionably a storyline that is a delight to follow) as much as it is to just bring some kind of dreamlike quality to the big screen.

I have very little faith in the Hollywood establishment to properly appreciate this movie, because Coppola is basically just completely rejecting everything that conventional commercial cinema stands for; it is the grand final gesture, possibly, of one of the biggest maverick filmmakers to have ever lived. Thus, it will not be at all surprising if the movie is completely shut out by the Oscars - and possibly most of the other big awards.

That would, of course, be completely unfair to the cast and crew of this absolute masterpiece, who have all made a totally superlative effort to bring Coppola's vision to life with astonishing vibrancy.

Adam Driver, Nathalie Emmanuel and Giancarlo Esposito are the biggest standouts among the cast; on the technical side, Mihai Malaimare Jr.'s cinematography, Milena Canonero's costume design, and the production design by Beth Mickle and Bradley Rubin are all top-notch.

It should be noted that the movie does make very appropriate use of the "full IMAX" aspect ratio on some key scenes; this will be lost on regular theaters as well as the eventual home release.

No real movie buff should miss the chance to watch this on the biggest IMAX screen available. It stands to reason it will not be in theaters for very long, because this is definitely not a movie for a mass audience. Only the most sophisticated viewers are likely to fully appreciate what Coppola has accomplished here.

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/2024/substance_ver5_xxlg.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=77640869

The Substance - (2024)

Demi Moore really comes out of nowhere with her turn in The Substance, letting her body speak for itself in a way that's incredibly brave, and has earned her points from me. She knows the camera isn't looking from all the best angles - and her body accuses her character, Elisabeth Sparkle, of Hollywood's worst crime if you're a woman : getting old. The story takes place in a mainstream arthouse version of reality that's pretty close to the real - ultra-misogynistic, disgusting, unfair and loud. A place ruled by really dumb people who got where they are by unfair means. Elisabeth's way of cheating age is a black market substance that creates a new her - but watch out, because you can't let it get wet, and you can't feed it after midnight. Something like that. But you know, of course she lets it get wet. And of course she feeds it after midnight. The results are glorious scenes of body horror featuring practical effects. Thank you for the practical effects Substance! If there was any CGI used, I couldn't see it - even when copious amounts of blood was needed, it ended up being real. This was also good because the metaphorical weight behind the strange dynamic in this film can be carried further than just standards of beauty. Welcome back Demi Moore - you really deserve this late career highlight. Welcome Margaret Qualley - great job in this. RIP Ray Liotta - not a dis on Dennis Quaid, but I wish it had of been you up there. The Substance was satisfying in many ways - a throwback I'm old enough to appreciate.

8/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7294661

Déjà Vu - (2006)

This could have been amazing! If only Tony Scott had of had Terry Gilliam's sense of dourness and bravery, because Déjà Vu broke so many of it's own rules in it's last 10 minutes, and left so many gaping plot holes dangling, that I felt cheated. Up until then it was one of the best time travel movies I'd ever seen, because everything was fitting so neatly into place. Denzel Washington as ATF Special Agent Douglas Carlin wants to save a woman he's falling for who is already dead, and thinks the machine the Feds are using that can look back in time might actually be able to send him back in time to prevent a massive terrorist attack in New Orleans. For the most part, this was an excellent sci-fi thriller, and uses time travel/peeking into the past in very clever ways.

7/10

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

Oldboy (2003)

My 2nd time watching after being disappointed the 1st time 8 or 9 years ago. I've wanted to try it again for a long time because it always suited my taste. I didn't remember much besides what can be seen in the trailer. Maybe I was too hyped before, or maybe I just understood it better this time. It's impressive that it's so wild yet so mature, so ugly yet so beautiful. I'm glad I finally got back to it.

I rarely watch trailers or have any idea what movies are out or coming out. 99% of what I watch I learn of from here and this page is a good example. Reptile and Rebel Ridge added to watchlist where The Substance is currently my #1 target. I first heard of The Substance a couple weeks back on this forum.

A system of cells interlinked
Reviews on this page from Doc, Filmbuff, and Phoenix have me wanting to see Reptile, Megalopolis, and The Substance. Add in Strange Darling and there are several films in theaters currently I need to get out to see (save Reptile, which is streaming). I am thinking I won't have time to see them all, so I probably need to head to the IMAX to catch Coppola's swan song...

Meanwhile...

The First Omen

Stevenson, 2024

+

To coin a phrase: Well, I'll be damned. We put this on, fully expecting the usual hacked cash grab, the obligatory exhumation of a long-dead franchise: a boring, slick, creatively bankrupt product concocted to extract the last remaining drops from The Omen chalice. Imagine my surprise when we were presented with a bonafide film.

An obvious love letter to 1970s horror cinema, The First Omen is a labor of love. Everything from the lensing to the set design, the attire, to the perfectly chosen locations all combine to create an excellent period piece that not only respect the original film, but enhance its mythos in a way I didn't know it needed, but now couldn't image without. The lighting and cinematography deserve a nod, as well.

It's a real shame this was not only released n the same year as Immaculate, but just a month after that clearly lesser film hit theaters. The films share several aspects so closely, that one can't help but compare them, especially when I had just watched Immaculate last week. While The First Omen is easily the superior film in my eyes, I couldn't help but wonder if the screenwriters of the two projects were colluding, perhaps using the same outline as a jumping off point. I've no idea which project went into production first, how the scripts were handled or any of the other relevant details, but man are these films similar in their setups.

The First Omen, while paying homage to the films of the 70s in what is clearly reverence, tends to copy them a bit too closely, lifting a scene from the original The Omen wholesale, and also another 70s classic, Possession - notably its most famous scene. Nell Tiger Free does an excellent job with the scene, but the inspiration is clear.

Speaking of performances, everyone is excellent here, with a strong set of seasoned actors joining the young faces to present a memorable narrative, which combines with the other elements as strong pieces of an sturdy whole - one that dovetails elegantly into the 1970s classic first film.

Easily my favorite horror of 2024 of the films I have seen so far, and perhaps a contender for top 5 of the last 5 years. Is it a classic on the level with The Exorcist or the first The Omen? Certainly not, but it definitely punches quite a bit above its weight class in the melee of poor prequels/sequels of long-dormant franchises.

Francis Ford Coppola's Megalopolis: A Fable

Francis Ford Coppola's Megalopolis: A Fable is a mad masterpiece, and easily the most astonishing and memorable cinematic achievement of the 21st century.

Perhaps no other major filmmaker of our times besides Jean-Luc Godard has taken experimental cinema to the extremes that Coppola does here, with results that are both breathtaking and awe-inspiring, giving us a vision that only a true cinematic genius could possibly pull off.

Megalopolis is right up there with the likes of D.W. Griffiths's Intolerance and Abel Gance's Napoleon as one of those exceptional cinematic achievements that practically redefined what cinema as a narrative form was even capable of.

There's really never been a movie like this before, and perhaps there never will be again, because, really, who else besides Francis Ford Coppola would happily invest over $100 million of his own money on a project that was so completely and utterly uncommercial?

To fully appreciate this movie, having a hearty taste for experimental cinema is practically a prerequisite. People who do not love experimental cinema, or have not seen much of it, should probably just not even try to watch this; it is highly unlikely they could make heads or tails of it.

The experience of watching Megalopolis on a humongous IMAX screen is both dreamlike and completely intoxicating like very few movies of the last 50 years have been. You would have to go back, possibly, to the likes of 2001: A Space Odyssey to find something that was even in the same ballpark.

As with everything that has to do with experimental cinema, even those who already really like it may not be completely on board for everything that Coppola is trying to do here; the point really doesn't seem to be so much any kind of conventional narrative (although there is unquestionably a storyline that is a delight to follow) as much as it is to just bring some kind of dreamlike quality to the big screen.

I have very little faith in the Hollywood establishment to properly appreciate this movie, because Coppola is basically just completely rejecting everything that conventional commercial cinema stands for; it is the grand final gesture, possibly, of one of the biggest maverick filmmakers to have ever lived. Thus, it will not be at all surprising if the movie is completely shut out by the Oscars - and possibly most of the other big awards.

That would, of course, be completely unfair to the cast and crew of this absolute masterpiece, who have all made a totally superlative effort to bring Coppola's vision to life with astonishing vibrancy.

Adam Driver, Nathalie Emmanuel and Giancarlo Esposito are the biggest standouts among the cast; on the technical side, Mihai Malaimare Jr.'s cinematography, Milena Canonero's costume design, and the production design by Beth Mickle and Bradley Rubin are all top-notch.

It should be noted that the movie does make very appropriate use of the "full IMAX" aspect ratio on some key scenes; this will be lost on regular theaters as well as the eventual home release.

No real movie buff should miss the chance to watch this on the biggest IMAX screen available. It stands to reason it will not be in theaters for very long, because this is definitely not a movie for a mass audience. Only the most sophisticated viewers are likely to fully appreciate what Coppola has accomplished here.
OK, I'm going out on a limb and venturing that you liked this one.

OK, I'm going out on a limb and venturing that you liked this one.
I am absolutely blown away by this, it's clearly the work of genius.

Not a lot of people will dig it as much as I have, but I have always had a deep fondness for anything that is experimental.

I can't be 100% sure, but this might be the first big-budget experimental film ever made.

I cannot think of another experimental film that cost $120 million to make. Can anyone?

2nd Rewatch...This movie improves a bit with each watch. This explosi0ve docudrama is about a car thief named Bill O'Neal who, in order to avoid doing some serious jail time, agrees to assist the FBI in getting the head of the Chicago Blank Panthers, Fred Hampton off the street. According to this screenplay, the order to get Hampton off the streets came straight from J Edgar Hoover, though he never really dirties his own hands. The film also provides an underlying theme that the Black Panthers were just as dangerous as the KKK, evidenced in one nail-biting scene where Hampton crashes a klan meeting. But the meat of this movie circles around the battle for O'Neal's soul between the FBI and the Panthers. Lakith Stanford delivers the performance of his career as O'Neal and Daniel Kaluuya won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his Fred Hampton. It's not pretty, but it's compelling entertainment. And stay tuned for the epilogue.

Umpteenth Rewatch...This 2000 comedy was one of Martin Lawrence's biggest hits, but it has not aged well and I noticed a lot of stupid stuff here that just doesn't fly anymore. During this watch, I noticed that Malcolm's Big Momma and the real Big Momma don't look anything alike and all of the town folk who have lived with Hattie Mae forever, ONE of them should have figured out that this was an imposter. Not to mention Sherry (Nia Long), who should have been able to tell immediately that this Big Momma was not her Big Momma or that scene where she had to deliver Tichina Arnold's baby and didn't have a clue what she was doing, despite the fact that she was supposed to be the town's midwife. And how did the bad guy (Terrence Howard) track Sherry down so quickly? The only real laughs in this most recent viewing came from Paul Giamatti as Malcolm's partner. Can't believe this film inspired two sequels.

1st Rewatch...This reimagining of the body switch comedies of the 1980's suffers from a little too much raunch and rampant predictability. The film is about lifelong buddies Dave and Mitch. Dave (Jason Bateman) is a lawyer who is married with three kids and in denial about a crush he has on a co-worker (Olivia Wilde). Mitch (Ryan Reynolds) is a struggling actor who dates different women every night, has a mouth like a sailor, and serious issues with his father (the late Alan Arkin). One night Dave and Mitch take a piss in a fountain and wish that they had each other's lives. The city blacks out for five seconds and when the light comes back on, Dave is inside Mitch and vice versa. This is different from the body switch comedies of the 80's because it involves two adults, but the film takes way too long to set up a well-worn premise, not to mention the plot twist of an entire fountain conveniently disappearing the next day. The screenplay tries to make up for the predictability of the story by inserting a lot of Ferrelly Brothers-type bathroom humor, but it doesn't really help. Bateman and Reynolds work hard to bring the funny and I have never enjoyed Leslie Mann more as Bateman's wife, but this one takes too long to get to its destination determined in the first 30 minutes.

Never Let Go

Never Let Go has an intriguing premise, some great locations and a committed performance from Halle Berry. And yet, for some reason, it is also weirdly forgettable.

Still, I enjoyed the creepy atmospheric look of the movie, most of which takes place in the woods (the exact location is unnamed but the movie was shot in British Columbia). This is one of those movies where you don't know what's real and what isn't - and the movie isn't too concerned with giving you a straight answer.

One word of warning: if you can't stand it when a movie even suggests that a gorgeous animal might be killed, then you should definitely avoid this movie!

Reptile (2023)

-

I first heard of this a couple of days ago in this thread, and while I don't look into movies that interest me a whole lot, I did at least google the title. The first line of the synopsis had me thinking oh wow. You see my wife and I watch a lot of true crime shows, and she's obsessed with the unsolved murder of Lindsay Buziak, a real estate agent who was brutally killed during a mysterious showing. This film was inspired by her story, and as soon as I mentioned it to my wife she was as gung ho as she ever is to watch a movie with me. I follow the case as well, just not to her level. To go along with our expanded interest, the film was much better than anticipated. Benecio del Toro is the star and he seems like he's performing in his sleep. That's a compliment because he's great. The rest of the cast is strong as well, but a special shoutout for Alicia Silverstone as well. Her role as the lead's wife would often be a thankless and empty role. I don't want to overstate it, but her role is more than that and Silverstone excels. A lot of credit to the filmmakers for providing that opportunity as well. I would definitely recommend this movie to fans of police procedurals/whodunits. On Netflix.

A system of cells interlinked
Oddity

McCarthy, 2024

Very creepy with excellent atmosphere and sound design. That said, it sort of plays out like an X-Files episode. I also found it odd that it sets itself up as a sort of whodunnit murder mystery, but the mystery is sort of obvious, gets revealed early, and isn't surprising in the least. The rest of the elements make this a pretty strong experience, so the tend of no duds so far continues!

I was determined to finish this movie no matter I failed the first time. I did finish it. Would never want to see it again, but Emma Stone made the movie for me. I hate musicals so I was bound to not like the movie.

Why it’s so highly acclaimed is beyond me, but there you are.

I was determined to finish this movie no matter I failed the first time. I did finish it. Would never want to see it again, but Emma Stone made the movie for me. I hate musicals so I was bound to not like the movie.

Why it’s so highly acclaimed is beyond me, but there you are.

LOVE this movie, but I'm not sure Emma Stone deserved an Oscar for it.