Television Tab

Tools    

I’m going out on a limb and assuming you meant season 1 not series 1. I loved this show too.
She's in the UK and we say series here, but it's the same thing.

I’m going out on a limb and assuming you meant season 1 not series 1. I loved this show too.
Sometimes I say series and sometimes I say season.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched the series premiere of Matlock starring Kathy Bates. For most of the episode, I was somewhat underwhelmed but there is a twist late in the episode that changes things. Kathy Bates does a good job, but I'm not sold on the rest of the cast yet. There is some potential here. 7/10 is my rating. Anyone else check it out or plan to check it out?

I DVRed "Matlock", but I haven't watched it yet. I read an article a couple of days ago that even though "Matlock" just premiered, Kathy Bates announced her retirement.

If that's true, it might not be worth watching the show because it's not likely to be renewed without her.

I watched the premiere episode of Murder in a Small Town starring Rossif Sutherland and
Kristin Kreuk. I thought the acting was pretty good. I found the story a little slow at first, but it picked up towards the end. It's worth checking out, although I'm on the fence if I will watch the next episode. I would rate the first episode a 7/10. Anyone else seen it?

My rankings of the new series I've seen so far:

1. Agatha All Along
2. High Potential
3. Matlock
4. Murder in a Small Town

I watched the premiere episode of Murder in a Small Town starring Rossif Sutherland and
Kristin Kreuk. I thought the acting was pretty good. I found the story a little slow at first, but it picked up towards the end. It's worth checking out, although I'm on the fence if I will watch the next episode. I would rate the first episode a 7/10. Anyone else seen it?
Is Rossif Sutherland related to Keifer?

My rankings of the new series I've seen so far:

1. Agatha All Along
2. High Potential
3. Matlock
4. Murder in a Small Town
I'd say Agatha All Along is definitely the best new show out right now - and now is a wonderful time to be an Audrey Plaza fan (between this show and the 2 new movies she's in that are out now)

I'm about halfway through the 11 seasons of Frasier. 264 total episodes. It's held up surprisingly well. I had forgotten how entertaining it was. I'm usually good for at least two to three laugh out loud moments per episode.

I definitely miss the old Frasier

Frasier was kind of good for its time. Looking at it today it has the same problem as most of the popular sitcoms of the 90s (points at the elephant in the room)

I don't think I have ever seen an entire episode of Fraiser. It just never interested me.
I’ve never seen a single second of Frasier & plan to keep it that way.

Frasier is close to the Platonic ideal of a sitcom. It holds up very well and executes the formula about as well as you can. I prefer the more modern shooting and joke style (IE: 30 Rock), but I have to admire Frasier for pure craft alone.

Frasier is close to the Platonic ideal of a sitcom. It holds up very well and executes the formula about as well as you can. I prefer the more modern shooting and joke style (IE: 30 Rock), but I have to admire Frasier for pure craft alone.
I think 30 Rock deserves serious consideration for Top 10 sitcoms of all time. Maybe not Frasier but like I said I was surprised by how much I've been enjoying revisiting a show that I don't remember all that fondly when it first aired. I think you're right though. It is the craft I'm appreciating.

One thing I definitely miss about Frasier... that theme song.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
With the Mets game having been rained out tonight, I had time to watch a few of the new shows.

"High Potential" was great. It reminded me of shows like "Monk" and "Columbo" where the detective picks up on the little things that everyone else misses. I've only seen one episode so far, but it has the potential to become my new favorite show. (No pun intended.)

I've only seen a couple of the original "Matlock" episodes with Andy Griffith, so the Kathy Bates version will have to stand on its own, but I liked it. It's far from the best legal show that I've seen, but I like Kathy Bates in it, and the twist could make it even more interesting as the season goes on.

"Brilliant Minds" was okay, but not as good as I had hoped. It seems to be a "House M.D." wannabe, but Zachary Quinto isn't as good as Hugh Laurie.

I DVRed "Murder in a Small Town", but I haven't watched it yet. The preview looked good.

Frasier was kind of good for its time. Looking at it today it has the same problem as most of the popular sitcoms of the 90s (points at the elephant in the room)
What elephant?

The one we can't talk about here.

I checked out the first two episodes of Grotesquerie, the new FX horror show from Ryan Murphy, streaming on Hulu or Disney+ (depending on region). I'm on the fence about this. It feels like they were being grotesque and gory for shock value, but it didn't completely work for me. I was hoping it would be more fun or entertaining. It's slower than I expected, but there is potential here. The acting is pretty good. I'm undecided if I'm going to check out future episodes. 6/10 would be my rating.