Did Sebastion Stan make a huge mistake?

Tools    

The best actor Oscar winner has always been one of the more obvious wins. It's rare to have a close race between performers in most cases it's simply a coronation of an obvious win from a big star.

Stan isn't really a big star....he's one of those guys that you point to and are like..oh he's Bucky from Marvel. Maybe you've seen his work in Pam and Tommy were he gives an incredible performance as Tommy Lee but he's not a guy you look at and think man can't wait to see his next film.

The Academy rules do not allow an actor to be nominated in an acting category twice so even if Stan gives two top five performances of the year (which it looks like) only one will make the cut. As we also know the Academy Awards is also a campaign...and Stan will be competing against himself.

Stan also isn't competing in a bubble...Timothee Chalamet also had three big films out but his huge hits (Wonka and Dune Part Two) came out long before A Complete Unknown where he plays Bob Dylan. You also have reports of Adrian Brody in The Brutalist, Daniel Craig in Queer, and I believe the front runner is Ralph Fiennes for Conclave. I also can see Keith Kuferer getting the grass roots push for Ghostlight.

and I believe the front runner is Ralph Fiennes for Conclave.
Mah, so satisfying to hear.

His mistake was not taking the stage name of "Stan Sebastian"... it rolls off the tongue so much easier than Sebastian Stan.

But seriously, I see from his bio on IMDB that he and I share the same alma mater, only difference is I majored in visual arts and I was starting there as a freshman the year Stan was born! (And the same year I started as a freshman was when James Gandolfini was at the same school in his senior year!)

I must admit. I don't know who he is.

I must admit. I don't know who he is.

he's one of those guys that you point to and are like..oh he's Bucky from Marvel.

So you never saw

I Tonya
I recently saw I Tonya where I attended for Robbie and found myself staying for him. He does more good to the flick than whatever the part asks him to do, kinda...

He's forgettable in Captain America. Excited to see his Trump.

So you never saw

I Tonya
Captain America series
Avengers Inifinity War
Pam and Tommy
Fresh

i have seen I, Tonya and Fresh. He just hasn't been on my radar which is not unusual for newer actors.