Old war movie

Tools    

Ok i need help again this is an old 1950s black and white war movie basicly the GI's were fighting in Either China or Japan and the GI's found a litttle foreign boy either Chinease or Japanese and he as in the little boy would call the soldiers GI buddy please help i loved this movie

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm not 100% sure. I have two suggestions though, and both are films set during the Korean War. The Steel Helmet (1951) has a young Korean boy nicknamed Short Round who befriends the American sergeant played by Gene Evans.

In the 1962 film War Hunt, a young Korean boy becomes part of a group of new American recruits. This film stars John Saxon and Robert Redford.

The Steel Helmet (1951) has a young Korean boy nicknamed Short Round who befriends the American sergeant played by Gene Evans.

In the 1962 film War Hunt, a young Korean boy becomes part of a group of new American recruits. This film stars John Saxon and Robert Redford.
Beat me to the punch, Mark. I was going to suggest the same two films. Don't remember the kid calling people "Buddy" in either film, but it's been a long time since I saw either.

Not questioning your summary; like I said, been a long time since I viewed these films. But my recollection is that in War Hunt, Redford is the only replacement coming into a veteran unit. Certainly Saxon has been there long enough to have established a routine of going out alone at night to knife enemy soldiers. Which makes it one of the most unusual war films I've ever seen. Another interesting point--others in the cast include Gavin MacLeod and Sydney Pollack in the days before he became a director.

Another observation: you probably remember me dumping on Saving Pvt. Ryan about the scene in which a soldier carelessly steps out from behind cover and gets popped by a sniper (saw that same scene on TV a few days ago, and remembered even more reasons why that was all wrong). In War Hunt, some soldiers carelessly expose themselves, again with fatal results. But the scene is done much better and more believeable in War Hunt.

Saw The Steel Helmet as a kid, back at the time of the Korean war. I was really impressed by the opening scene--as the credits roll, the camera pans across a pile of bodies of several US soldiers, their hands tied with wire behind their backs, executed after they were captured. As a kid raised on John Wayne's heroic war movies, it had never occurred that sometimes US soliders get captured, that sometimes they are murdered while helpless prisoners. Up to that moment, I thought the US always won. It was quite an awakening.

Thanks Mark ill check those both out see what one i remember