The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TOMORROW! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Yoda Reviews Baseball Movies

→ in
Tools    

@1.13 It's a great scene. The benchmark for the stadium drama.

There's one baseball movie that's better than any Pinku. On average, Pink Film is a much superior genre than Baseball Movie.

The trick is not minding
There's one baseball movie that's better than any Pinku. On average, Pink Film is a much superior genre than Baseball Movie.
Nah. Pink films are among the worst. Just a rung above nunsploitation and their related ilk.

Nah. Pink films are among the worst. Just a rung above nunsploitation and their related ilk.
This is exactly what a normie would say/think. Don't be a normie.

But let's not hijack Yoda's thread. Want to talk about Pinks, make a new thread.

The Natural (1984)

In a sentence: A preternaturally talented player emerges from nowhere.

There's a difference between story and myth. Stories are full of people, and people have to overcome challenges. Myths are full of emblems and inevitabilities. Stories are about the journey, but myths are about how they end.

The Natural is a myth.

Contra nearly every other sports movie, which is about a ragtag group of whatevers that learn to work together, Roy Hobbs (the titular "natural") doesn't really have to overcome anything, and he doesn't really need anyone else's help. Sure, there are obstacles, in the way a toddler clinging to your leg is an obstacle. But they exist only to be run over (the obstacles, not the toddlers).

To be fair, the movie announces its intentions almost immediately: after a brief opener where he plays catch with his father (more on that later), we jump forward to said father's death. The same night he dies, a tree outside their farmhouse is struck by lightning. Roy takes some wood from the broken tree and fashions a bat out of it, which he names "Wonderboy." He even carves a lightning bolt into the barrel. He is the baseball Prometheus, given a gift by the Gods and then gracing the rest of humanity with it. Within minutes he's striking out the best ballplayer in the country in an impromptu roadside challenge. This is obviously fantastical, but it's especially so for baseball, which is famously hard to dominate. It's a precise, strategic game where excellence is a mix of physical ability and experience; most players hit their peak at least several years into their career.

The only way in which he resembles a real person is that he's kind of a jerk, in keeping with what you'd expect both from someone whose success is immediate and effortless, and with what we know of the dispostitions of the most competitive athletes. He talks about wanting to break every record, and when someone asks him "and then?" he's left only to more or less reiterate this desire.

Emblems still have needs, I suppose, because he finds himself involved with several women. The first is Glenn Close, a childhood sweetheart. The second is a stalker who shoots him. The third is Kim Basinger, a bookie's girl who tries to manipulate him but sure seems to have fallen for him in the process.

Basinger's presence is appropriate, because Roy Hobbs is essentially what you'd get if you turned James Bond into a baseball player. Most men are threatened by him, and most women love him. He has a pithy rejoinder for everything and is unflappable. He has struggles, but they largely consist of a) self-inflicted distractions and b) literally getting shot. The shooter is the aforementioned stalker (in an event drawn from real life). But you can't kill a myth, so all it does is slow him down. We jump forward 16 years and he enters the majors around what should be the end of his career.

It's tiring listening to the gamblers or the managers or the journalists come at him verbally only for him to swat them down with something that we're apparently meant to find clever or quick-witted, but which mostly boil down to "I don't care."

Hobbs has to fight his way onto the team because he's old and because that's one of the few ways a perfect character can be made to face adversity, I guess. As soon as he gets his chance he supplants the normal right fielder (who literally dies, in the most dramatic Wally Pipping imaginable) and takes the league by storm. He struggles at some point, but it's never because he's not good enough or overmatched by the competition. His failures are all self-inflicted, down to personal distraction. He even blames himself for getting shot, saying that he should've seen it coming. He can only be defeated by himself.

There are, we learn, some lingering effects of the shooting. The wound is, of course, on his abdomen, because in addition to being emblematic of Greek myth, he's apparently Baseball Jesus, too. I hasten to add that the wound is on the wrong side, but this is presumably because he's left-handed. I will not be fielding questions about whether God is ambidextrous.

One of the bigger flaws here, in something that echoes the obligatory romantic subplot stuff discussed elsewhere, is that the film kind of tries to have it both ways. The childhood sweetheart stuff is there just to throw a curveball later in the film, when that sweetheart resurfaces and eventually reveals that the teenage boy she's got with her is, of course, his. And after he almost dies trying to play through his injury, we abruptly flash forward at the end to show him playing catch with his son in an echo of the film's opening. This is too little, too late in the character department. There isn't any sense throughout the film that he's learning or growing out of his obsession with greatness, or has come to any profound realization about the life he'll have to live after baseball. It's just a superficial reward tacked onto the end of the film, a destination we never saw the journey towards.

How's the Baseball?

Mediocre. The swinging is awkward and fake looking, and Redford runs like his elbows are attached to his sides. But the throws are decent and the movie manages to orient us without having people just read out the score and inning over and over. It conveys the stakes and situations naturally. But yes, it resorts to the classic newspaper headline montage, too. But I find that particular cliché charming.

Do They Win?

It's a myth, so of course they do. But how they win is the only reason anybody loves this movie. There are two key elements in the finale that have kept it in memory:

First, the imagery. Hobbs hits a pennant-winning home run into the stadium lights, shattering them and short circuiting the system. The entire sequence is in slow motion, and it ends with Hobbs and his entire team celebrating while sparks rain down on them. It might be the single most beautiful shot in any baseball movie, rivaled only by the shot moments earlier where the entire scene is reflected in the manager's glasses:

Second, the score. The word "iconic" is horrendously overused, but it has never been more apt. The music is pitch-perfect and elevates everything. In the way Maurice Jarre's score for Lawrence of Arabia has become evocative of the desert, Randy Newman's orchestral theme has become synonymous with baseball. When Major League Baseball unveiled its All-Century team at the 1999 All-Star game, they played it throughout:

Note that the intro here is an homage to Field of Dreams. And yet they use the score from The Natural under it. It's status as the definitive example of baseball music is so thorough that they use it in place of the score of other baseball movies.

There's a little audio easter egg I include at the end of all the podcasts I've done for this site. It's from Adaptation. where Brian Cox, playing Robert McKee, says:
"Wow them in the end and you've got a hit. You can have flaws, problems...but wow them in the end, and you've got a hit."
That sums up The Natural. It's not a good film, and it doesn't have many interesting characters. But it wows you in the end, and Hobbs got a hit.

One of the most intoxicating things about baseball is the way amazing things can happen at any moment, regardless of circumstance. They can lie in wait during a meaningless blowout between last place teams on a Tuesday afternoon in September. Entire seasons turning on a dime, entire careers bouncing off of pebbles. You have no idea what's coming next. So it's strangely appropriate that The Natural is so well-regarded. Because like so many futile seasons it trudges along out of necessity, only to surprise us with a singular moment whose shadow reaches back across the long summer that led to it.

A swing, and a myth.

my head will explode when you review Moneyball as there's alot more meat on that bone
I actually reviewed that way back when it came out, but I'll definitely write something about it here. I might reproduce the review and add a little extra commentary, not sure yet.

This thread inspired me to buy 2 baseball movies off Prime, $5 each, that I haven't seen yet. Mr 3000 and Million Dollar Arm. I'll still see them even if they're trash. HelI I saw Major League 2 so why not?
I haven't decided exactly how long I'll do this or for which films. You can safely assume I'll cover a lot of the classics, and a handful of lesser-knowns one, too. I think Million Dollar Arm has a decent shot of making the cut.

This thread fails unless it includes Field of Dreams. You’ve been warned
No-brainer. It'll definitely be in here.

A quick note about Hardball: I've never seen it, but whenever it is mentioned or I come across it, I remember that it did surprisingly well at the box office because it came out right when 9/11 happened. There was an article in Entertainment Weekly about its surprising success in theaters because people wanted to see something kind of predictable and "friendly".
I actually remember that! It was ultimately one of those factoids I considered mentioning but decided would interrupt the flow of the review, but yeah, it came out right after and that ultimately got it a lot more attention than it deserved, or would've otherwise had.

I remember liking The Natural quite a bit, but I'm also not likely to revisit it. I was mainly sold by the cinematography and the cast, which balanced out its simplistic plot to a degree.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I haven't seen The Natural, but it sounds like a film I'd like. One of these days I'll get to it. I'm betting because I'm not a sports fan but do love many sports movies that I'd like it.

2 put of 5?! Two?! Please don't hold a grudge against this movie due to me naming my 2011 Fantasy Baseball team after it

This movie was all the mythical tales told about players (exaggerated stories told by players from 75 years ago where there's no proof), games, and moments (the Babe Ruth point) all brought into a movie. The tempo of how it is on a ballfield during practice was handled accurately, with Brimley and Forrester shooting the bull in the dugout. My Dad used to play ball and adored the flick, and even read the book afterward. He said the book was completely different.
I look at The Natural as everything Moneyball wasn't. I liked Moneyball more, but this flick still has a place in my heart. It probably helped me seeing it when I was a kid.
4 STARS - TONGO HAS SPOKEN!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Snap to it, bubbs! It's been what, a whole 24 hours or so and there's only TWO reviews up?! OMG! I have work to procrastinate! How can I do that on only TWO friggin reviews?! I need a write-up on Eight Men Out! The Sand Lot!! For Love of the Game!?! 61*??!1?!!?! GET TO IT! You have earned vacation time. USE IT!

I'll help with a quick review of Moneyball. Best movie ever that should have cut the daughter singing scene. You're welcome.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
So far I am right with you on your ratings. I don’t remember The Natural well either though. That one I would have seen in high school, so I will leave the math up to you guys.

#JusticeForHamilton

Snap to it, bubbs! It's been what, a whole 24 hours or so and there's only TWO reviews up?!
I know this is sarcastic, so I'll just say I'd planned to have these trickle in over weeks or months but I decided I'd just start on the first one, and an hour later it was done. And then I had so much fun with that that the same thing happened this morning with the second one.

I'm determined not to be too precious about these, or else they'll take forever.

I know this is sarcastic, so I'll just say I'd planned to have these trickle in over weeks or months but I decided I'd just start on the first one, and an hour later it was done. And then I had so much fun with that that the same thing happened this morning with the second one.

I'm determined not to be too precious about these, or else they'll take forever.

Be as precious as you see fit. I love sports movies, especially well paced baseball films. Looking forward to coming posts.

*Looksit watch*

Snap to it, bubbs! It's been what, a whole 24 hours or so and there's only TWO reviews up?
Gosh, long stretches of what feels like inaction, waiting for something exciting to happen? It's almost like . . . um . . . hmmm, well the analogy escapes me now. I'm sure it'll come back to me.

Gosh, long stretches of what feels like inaction, waiting for something exciting to happen? It's almost like . . . um . . . hmmm, well the analogy escapes me now. I'm sure it'll come back to me.
Cricket?

A system of cells interlinked
This is my official request for a review of Trouble with the Curve

A system of cells interlinked
And before doing that, can you stop by my house and move everything in my basement over to the left by precisely 5/8"?

Great, thanks!

This is my official request for a review of Trouble with the Curve
I was on the fence mentioning that one! Glad it was you >=P