TERRY GILLIAM appreciation thread

Tools    

The Brothers Grimm

First off, let me spill the magic beans: this isn't vintage Gilliam. This isn't the distinctive one-of-a-kind dark fantasy that you can recognize instantly as coming from that cinematic visionary. It's a little more toned down, a bit more accessible perhaps, not as sharply cynical or disarmingly surreal or as smart. But it's still a Heck of a lot of fun.

The movie The Brothers Grimm follows Wilhelm "Will" Grimm (Matt Damon) and Jacob "Jake" Grimm (Heath Ledger), who are not only collectors of regional folk tales, myths and superstitions, but also traveling con artists. Will is the realist and huckster, and Jake goes along with the schemes but deep down still believes in magic and the unexplainable. Their act however is quite explainable: they go from town to town throughout the land, listening to the locals rant about a cursed river or ghostly apparition, then with a team of two assistants mock up the phenomenon and promptly vanquish it with a box of supposed amulets and potions. And of course these services are always rendered for a price. Since Will knows these sightings and hauntings are hysteria and self-made delusions, the panacea of a showy battle with the spirits is all the cure these folks need.

Jake is fed-up with the scheming, but before he can take a stand against his brother they are brought before a French General who controls the region. General Delatombe (Gilliam veteran Jonathan Pryce) is aware of their petty charades, and in exchange for not executing them he enlists team Grimm to travel to a remote village on the edge of a thick woods where ten little girls have gone missing, supposedly abducted by some sort of force hidden in the thickets. The panic and fear of the townspeople is making that corner of the region unstable, so Delatombe commands them to go and find what other hucksters are working the fairy tale scam over there and return the girls. The General sends his most ruthless henchman, an Italian torturer named Cavaldi (Peter Stormare), to keep an eye on them and make sure they do the job quickly. As you'd expect, these woods are actually haunted, and for the first time in their careers Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm come up against the kind of dark magic they've been faking to line their pockets.

It's a decent premise, and along the way we see the roots of many a famous Grimm fairly tale. This should be prime material for Gilliam, who covered similar kind of ground in Time Bandits and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. But it never reaches those lofty heights. Not consistently anyway. There are some wonderful moments, some deliciously dark and subversive, but outside of those scattered bits (the kitty cat is the flat-out best, a laugh as twisted and macabre as anything in Terry's filmography) and some very good visuals and sets here and there, it never kicks into the highest gear he's capable of. Damon and Ledger are fine, I actually like some of the mannerisms Heath adopted, but neither is great. For greatness look no further than Pryce and Stormare, who are hysterical and mesmerizing every instant they're on the screen. The other main character is Angelika, a quick-witted young woman with knowledge of the woods and skill with a bow, who's father and two sisters have already fallen to the cursed goings on. She's played by Lena Headey, an English actress who is easy on the eyes (kind of an older and taller Keira Knightley) and credible enough, but again falls short of any spectacular performance or charisma. Gilliam had wanted Samantha Morton (Minority Report, In America) for the role, and she's such a good actress with such a unique presence, I'd loved to have seen her as Angelika. And if say Pryce and Stormare had been cast as the Brothers Grimm instead of supporting parts…who knows what kind of shape the film might have taken?

The shape as it is, with the more lightweight and innocuous Damon, Ledger and Headey, is not bad. Not bad at all. It’s just not great, not the kind of great Gilliam has done in the past and will again in the future. The uber-stunning Monica Bellucci rounds out the cast in a crucial part that doesn't get a mountain of screentime, and she is just right as the vain Queen behind all the spells and enchantments.

The effects, like many aspects of the film, again are not bad, but simply are not the unique stamp that announces A TERRY GILLIAM FILM. For the first time in his career Terry uses CGI. Anybody who's seen Lost in LaMancha will remember the great lengths and expense he was going through to avoid reliance on the computer for effects, to keep his otherworldly creations tangible things rather than sophisticated cartoons. To me it's obvious he compromised here, to keep the budget down and get the flippin' thing in the can. After a now six-year span between movies with the heartbreaking disaster of The Man Who Killed Don Quixote still a bad taste in his mouth, I think it's perfectly understandable why he went that way. Now that The Brothers Grimm is under his belt and in the meantime between it being finished and languishing in non-release as he butted heads with Bob and Harvey Weinstein, Terry has already shot and completed another film: the smaller, cheaper, darker and infinitely more bizarre Tideland. Grimm is not the disaster I feared it would be, knowing one of my favorite directors had to make some compromises. It's not a triumph either, but I was happily surprised at how delightful it still is. And I am quite literally salivating for Tideland.

I'd grade The Brothers Grimm a healthy B-, and it's also one I suspect I'll like more with repeat viewings down the line. While it is the least of his films thus far, do not cheat yourself out of the enjoyment of seeing it on the big screen just because the preponderance of mainstream reviews have been awful. Masterpiece? No. Worth seeing? Indeed. And if you don't howl with laughter at what happens to that kitty cat there's something wrong with you. Or maybe those of us who will fall out of out seats howling with laughter have something very wrong with us? But that's the kind of devilish wrong that you get from Gilliam at his best.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grimm.jpg
Views:	1673
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	15506   Click image for larger version

Name:	queen.jpg
Views:	1670
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	15507  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

your review is right on the nose holden...i love jonathan pryce and was a pleasure to see him as always...

as far as laughter, at times i thought i was the only one...

Great thread Gilliam is a great director, can't wait to see Brother's Grimm

Still no release date, but the trailer for Tideland is finally available. Go the the officical movie website HERE. Click on the "access map" option, then to the trailer.

Below is an interesting exchange of a few e-mails between Sarah Polley and Terry Gilliam. Polley of course starred in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and now has become the queen of Canadian films (Exotica, The Sweet Hereafter, Guinevere, Last Night, eXistenZ, My Life Without Me) as well as appearing in movies such as Go (1999), Dawn of the Dead (2004) and The Claim (2000).

And then Sarah added this...
Postscript: At a film festival event a few weeks ago, I saw Terry for
the first time in seventeen years. We had a friendly chat and spoke about
Jodelle [the star of "Tideland"]. He said, "She had a great time, you could tell she really
loved it, she knows this is what she wants to do, and she was happy to
be there"

"Then again," he said, "I remember thinking the same thing about you...that's why
I was so surprised to get your emails." He looked confused.

It would have been difficult for anyone to see how unhappy I was, at
the time. Like many kids, I was eager to please and good at adapting
to difficult situations, storing them away to unpack later. When it
came time to publicize "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen", I spoke
glowingly of Terry and making the film.

In every interview I've read with Jodelle Ferland, she talks about
shooting "Tideland" as a very positive experience. Though she's still a
child, it's important to respect her impressions of her own film-set
experiences, as they stand now. Yet, based on my own experiences, I'm
curious about whether her impressions will change. Perhaps I'll drop
her a line in a decade or two to find out.
Attachments

Name:	Polley Letter.png
Views:	1540
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	15511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gilliam response.png
Views:	1529
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	15519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polley response.png
Views:	1506
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	15520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sarah Polley.jpg
Views:	1585
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	15523  

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Still no release date, but the trailer for Tideland is finally available. Go the the officical movie website HERE. Click on the "access map" option, then to the trailer.
Great work on this website, the trailer looks amazing. Looking forward to this. Thanks for link.

This is how I grade his work as solo director. I like all of them...
I've seen Time Bandits, Brazil, Baron Munchausen, Twelve Monkeys and Brothers Grimm.

First, thanks for the great article on Gilliam. It's been several years since I saw some of them and made me want to see Time Bandits, Brazil and Munchausen again. I've seen Twelve Monkeys recently.

IMO, Brothers Grimm isn't in the same league as these others. I found it disappointingly mediocre for a filmaker of Gilliam's stature. But nobody can hit a homerun all the time.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Thanks for the link

Originally Posted by Sleezy
Still waiting for The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.
It's still tangled up in rights limbo, but Terry is confident he can get them back and eventually make it (though obviously with a different Quixote). Depp is still very much interested in the project, so it's always a possibility. But it ain't coming real soon.

In the Beginning...
Jean Rochefort is still kicking, but I'm guessing the health problems would again be a factor. A shame, too, because his bits as Quixote were fantastic.

So, what's the big deal about the rights? I know Terry has been trying to buy them back, but why does some insurance company care to own his script?

This is a story from September...

---------------------------------------------------------------
The second coming of Don Quixote

Like a simmering saucepan, eventually the contents start boiling away again. Terry Gilliam may have failed to bring "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" to the screen first-time around, but he might be about to lift the lidd of the troubled project again.

Talking to Moviehole this week, Gilliam said he might be having another crack at it.

Gilliam tells us that his "Tideland" producer Jeremy Thomas is now on board and that he already has someone in mind for the lead. Originally, French actor Jean Rochefort was attached to play the titular role, but due to an incredible streak of health problems, as documented in "Lost In La Mancha", it's unlikely he would be considered for a return engagement.

“I have some ideas”, Gilliam says.

Our interviewer also suggested Gerard Depardieu for a leading role - and Gilliam's response suggested the legendary frenchman might already be on his list.

Meantime, Johnny Depp, who was set to star in "Quixote" as a time traveller, before it crumbled, tells Coming Soon that he would consider having another stab at it - should Gilliam manage to get it going again.

"Every time I see him, he threatens to do something," Depp told the site. "I just saw him last night. I'd love to do it again…well, I don't want to do that again. If there's any way to avoid the curse, that would be better. I'd love to do the film, if at all possible, and I stress that 'if at all possible' because it was really going to be good, that was the thing we all felt. It was really sad. It was really going to be good, like the best of Terry Gilliam. I felt really good about my character, and the good news is that if he wants to go back and do that, I already know the character, so I have less homework to do."
--------------------------------------------------------------

That's great news, of course. Though I seriously doubt it'll be Gérard Depardieu as his Quixote. He's so totally wrong, physically obviously, for the lanky Spaniard. Acting wise he'd be fantastic, but he goes about four hundred pounds these days, and I don't see him drastically dropping weight for the movie. Not even if he had two years to do it.

If he casts anybody truly elderly he runs the risk of the same problems he had with Rochefort, because the role is so physically demanding. I think it would be great to see Peter O'Toole as Gilliam's Quixote, making that progression from the Musical Man of La Mancha in the early seventies when he was a man of only forty to The Man Who Killed Don Quixote in his mid-seventies. I just don't think his health in recent years would allow him to undertake such a project.

While Terry was interested in finding an older man to actually play the role, I think he's going to have to settle for a man in his later fifties or early sixties and rely on good make-up and stellar acting. John Neville was in his early sixties when he starred in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and in the scenes where he was playing the character at his more advanced and decrepit stages he was wonderful and the make-up was fantastic.

One of his regular actors, Jonathan Pryce (Brazil, Munchausen, Brothers Grimm), is 6'2" and still a thin man. And he and Depp have co-starred before, in the Pirates of the Caribbean flicks. At not quite sixty with great costumes and make-up, he could work out perfectly as Terry's Quixote.

Jeremy Irons, who stands at about 6'2" and is fifty-seven this year, could do nicely.

Ten or fifteen years ago I would have suggested the 6'4" former Python John Cleese, but at sixty-six he ain't as svelte as he used to be either.

We'll see. I'll just be surprised if he actually ends up casting a man in his seventies.

Attachments

Name:	casting.png
Views:	1498
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	15491   Click image for larger version

Name:	quix sketch.jpg
Views:	1525
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	15496  

The People's Republic of Clogher
Thanks for that, HP.

There's still a lot of ifs, buts and maybes around ...Quixote but we live in hope.

In addition to your 'tall, thin and old' actors list, what about this guy?

Maybe a bit 'American' for the role though....

It's such a pity that Rochefort will probably never get health insurance for the role as he was, as seen in Lost In La Mancha, perfect.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
In addition to your 'tall, thin and old' actors list, what about this guy?

Maybe a bit 'American' for the role though....
He was able to pull off an Australian in Babe

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by nebbit
He was able to pull off an Australian in Babe
You must have been watching the XXX rated version.

Sorry nebbie, couldn't resist.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
You must have been watching the XXX rated version.

Sorry nebbie, couldn't resist.
Now that i read it again

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
So Gilliam is actaully attempting The Man Who Killed Don Quixote again?
They aren't in the pre-production stage or anything, but yes. Terry still wants to make his Quixote.

You're a Genius all the time
Huge, slobbering Gilliam fan here, happy to report that Don Quixote looks like it is in the very early stages of pre-production. Depp is back in and Gilliam has said it should start shooting sometime next year:

"As far as we're concerned, it's on. When Johnny's ready, we're ready. We're just talking about dates to film. Basically it all depends on his schedule but otherwise we're set. It will be next year some time, before next summer anyway."

And, apparently, Gilliam has been trying to coax Mike Palin out of retirement to play the eponymous hero. I love Palin, he's easily my favorite Python. I wouldn't have thought of him as Don Quixote or anything, but I have so much faith in Gilliam and he's more than earned the benefit of the doubt. I am excited.

Pretty quixotic, no?