The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TOMORROW! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Actors/actresses who should have had a bigger career?

Tools    

Ethel Merman....Yes she had a big career in theater but made almost no impact in movies. Every time I see her in a movie I realize how personable she is on the big screen.
I think she was a little too big for movie screens. The Broadway stage was more suited for her.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I think she was a little too big for movie screens. The Broadway stage was more suited for her.
Her singing yes. I just seen her last night in Alexander's Ragtime Band (1938) her singing would be more suited to the stage where they could hear her all the way to the back row. But she had a great comic personality, probably at her best in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963). Loved her as Gopher's mom on a recurring role on The Love Boat where she did at least one episode with Carol Channing.

Interesting points.
Not arguing for the sake of it, but I think Janet Leigh's great.
Her final shot is astonishing.

Janet Leigh
Eva Marie Saint

Her singing yes. I just seen her last night in Alexander's Ragtime Band (1938) her singing would be more suited to the stage where they could hear her all the way to the back row. But she had a great comic personality, probably at her best in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963). Loved her as Gopher's mom on a recurring role on The Love Boat where she did at least one episode with Carol Channing.
She was great in Mad Mad World but that was one movie

Hiroyuki Sanada - seems like he had his leading man years thrown away and he's now stuck in the character actor box.

Billy Crudup - Strange career from obvious leading man and likely Oscar winner to baffling supporting actor and low budget choices.

Meg Tilly - We kinda switched from Meg to Jennifer and Meg just kinda disappeared after Body Snatchers which she was excellent in.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Ethel Merman....Yes she had a big career in theater but made almost no impact in movies. Every time I see her in a movie I realize how personable she is on the big screen.

The trivia for the movie Call Me Madam (1953) includes this interesting tidbit:

"Before pre-recording the song "You're Just in Love", Donald O'Connor felt that a better result would be achieved if he sang it with Ethel Merman in a recording studio accompanied by the orchestra. Musical Director Alfred Newman agreed and let them sing together. It turned out that Merman's legendary loud singing voice was too deafening for O'Connor. In the end, they had to record the song with O'Connor in an isolation booth. When filming the musical number accompanied by the pre-recorded playback, O'Connor had to wear ear plugs."

Trouble with a capital "T"
The trivia for the movie Call Me Madam (1953) includes this interesting tidbit:

"Before pre-recording the song "You're Just in Love", Donald O'Connor felt that a better result would be achieved if he sang it with Ethel Merman in a recording studio accompanied by the orchestra. Musical Director Alfred Newman agreed and let them sing together. It turned out that Merman's legendary loud singing voice was too deafening for O'Connor. In the end, they had to record the song with O'Connor in an isolation booth. When filming the musical number accompanied by the pre-recorded playback, O'Connor had to wear ear plugs."
Ha, that's funny and not surprising, Ethel belts them out that no one else can. I seen that movie but didn't know that bit of trivia, thanks for posting it.

tom berenger

I guess as a tough guy.

My pick is Lee Pace. He's amazing.

I think MovieGal is the only one here who picked someone who didn't have quite a big career. Everybody else is quite well known and highly regarded. I haven't even heard of Lee Pace.

I think MovieGal is the only one here who picked someone who didn't have quite a big career. Everybody else is quite well known and highly regarded. I haven't even heard of Lee Pace.
He has been in 2 franchises. He's in The Hobbit and Guardians of The Galaxy., as well as several movies and TV series.