My Favorite Movie Guilty Pleasures

→ in
Tools    

Spaceballs

Considered to be one of Mel Brooks' lesser works, the film is a dead-on parody of Star Wars, which features a scene-stealing turn from Rick Moranis as Dark Helmet.

Summer Wishes Winter Dreams

Joanne Woodward's Oscar-nominated performance as a woman trying to adjust to growing older practically went unnoticed in 1973, but it's a moving film nonetheless...another one I saw in an empty theater.

Reflections in a Golden Eye

This twisted romantic drama is kind of all over the place, but watchable due to the performances of the stars, especially Brando.

The Producers

This lavish musical is the screen version of a Broadway musical that won 11 Tony Awards, which, in turn, was based on a 1970 film that won Mel Brooks his only Oscar for Original Screenplay. This is another movie that I think I'm the only person on the planet who liked it.

The Secret of My Success

Michael J. Fox plays a small town college graduate who moves to New York and gets a job in the mail room of a company run by his uncle (Richard Jordan) and scratches his way to the top by creating a separate identity and job for himself within the company. As long as you can accept this movie as the complete fantasy that it is, it's a lot of fun. Fox is charming, Jordan makes a great villain, and Margaret Whitton is very funny as Jordan's wife, who has the hots for Fox.

With Six You Get Eggroll

This film is part of movie history because it features the final appearance of the legendary Doris Day, who walked away from the business almost 50 years ago and never looked back. It's not a great movie, but it's not bad, but I love Doris Day and this movie will always have a special place in my heart because it was her cinematic farewell.

Nuts

A sleeper that I don't think anyone else saw because I have never seen it mentioned on any movie discussion boards. Under the skillful direction of Martin Ritt, Barbra Streisand delivers an eye-opening performance as a prostitute whose sanity is brought into question when she is arrested for murdering one of her johns (Leslie Nielsen). I'm pretty sure most people dismissed this movie because it was Streisand and a lot of moviegoers hate the woman on general principle, but she delivers the goods here and has a solid cast behind her, especially Richard Dreyfuss as her defense attorney, Maureen Stapleton as her mother, and Karl Malden as her stepfather. Will never understand why this movie went practically unnoticed in 1987.

A Very Brady Sequel

The scenes of Greg (Christopher Daniel Barnes) and Marcia (Christine Taylor) exploring possible sexual attraction to each other make this one worth watching alone.

Hollywood Ending

A rare box office bomb for Woody Allen that nobody saw but I still think is very funny. Woody plays a director scheduled to direct his first film in 12 years and is so freaked out about it that he develops psychosomatic blindness on the first day of shooting. Even hardcore Woody-philes didn't care for this one, but I found it very funny. As always, Woody has a first rate cast behind him, including Treat Williams, Debra Messing, Mark Rydell, Tea Leoni, and George Hamilton.

Loving You

This was Elvis' second film, but he really hadn't learned anything about acting yet (some might say he never did), and his line readings are pretty wooden, but he sings some of his most famous songs here (including "Teddy Bear") and I LOVED Lizabeth Scott as his agent, who comes between Elvis and the girl he really loves (Dolores Hart).

Where the Boys are

This second cousin to the Frankie/Annette beach party movies is a minor classic that is silly and pointless, but I still like watching it and the title tune is practically iconic.

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

There is a school of thought that Tim Burton's 2005 reboot is a better film because it is more faithful to Roald Dahl's book, but I think that film is dark and depressing. I love this film because though it is basically a children's story, the screenplay is rich with adult humor and Gene Wilder's wonderful performance in the title role has more substance than one might think. I could watch this movie once a week forever.

It's My Party

I don't know why this film went unnoticed. I hope it had nothing to do with the fact that most of the principal characters are gay. Eric Roberts plays an architectural designer who is dying from an AIDS-related illness that will turn him into a vegetable. Instead of living that way, he decides he's going to swallow a bottle of pills and throws a party the night before to say goodbye to his family and friends. This movie has a smart screenplay and it's really well-acted, I don't know why more people don't know about it.

The Truth about Cats and Dogs

A smart and sexy romantic comedy that should have made a star out of comedienne Janeane Garafolo...her performance alone makes this one worth watching.

The Brothers

OK, this movie brings out the shallow in me...the only reason I like sitting through this male version of Waiting to Exhale is because the four lead actors are VERY easy on the eyes...sue me.

The Money Pit

This early Tom Hanks misfire has always provided laughs for me...this re-thinking of Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House stars Hanks and Shelly Long as a couple who buy a dilapidated old house and the nightmare they go through trying to restore it. It's not a great movie and didn't do much box office, but Hanks really makes me laugh in this one.

The Wedding Planner

Lopez really hasn't made a decent movie since Selena, but I enjoy this one...she actually has chemistry with Matthew McConaughey and I actually found myself caring about these two getting together.