Italy’s less lauded directors

Tools    

Morricone's theme is enough to get into it:

Was this thread meant to be an Italian sausagefest? Why can't I find any mention of Lina Wertmüller?

The trick is not minding
Was this thread meant to be an Italian sausagefest? Why can't I find any mention of Lina Wertmüller?
Ha! No, just incidentally one.
Wertmuller is a welcome suggestion. I haven’t seen any of her films yet, despite knowing her name and films.
Liliana Cavani is another I have watch listed, particularly The Night Porter.

Wertmuller is a welcome suggestion. I haven’t seen any of her films yet, despite knowing her name and films.

Pasqualino Settebellezze is a very good movie, and Wertmüller was nominated for Best Director and Best Screenplay (she became the first woman ever nominated for a Best Director award).

The trick is not minding

Pasqualino Settebellezze is a very good movie, and Wertmüller was nominated for Best Director and Best Screenplay (she became the first woman ever nominated for a Best Director award).
Seven Beauties, right? Yeah, it’s on my watchlist.

Even the great ones aren't mentioned much. Fellini is always discussed because of the flamboyance. Some movies might be known, but I never hear their names. I constantly hear Dario Argento.
De Sica and Visconti are ignored. Ettore Scola, Petri, Olmi, Dino Risi, Marco Bellocchio, Pasolini, Mario Monicelli, Pontecorvo, Alberto Lattuada, Francesco Maselli, Marco Vicario, Robert Rosselini, Luciano Emmer, Mauro Bolognini, Bertolucci, Cesare Zavattini (known as their best writer)
I really liked M. Antonioni. I've seen almost none of his Italian films, although I liked Red Desert (1964).

I thought Blow Up (1966) was a masterpiece-- One of the greatest films of the Hippie era, and of all the '60s. It still fascinates me today.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I really liked M. Antonioni. I've seen almost none of his Italian films, although I liked Red Desert (1964).

I thought Blow Up (1966) was a masterpiece-- One of the greatest films of the Hippie era, and of all the '60s. It still fascinates me today.

Not my favorites, but then again, when I first saw L'Aventura I didn't like it at all. Second viewing, I enjoyed it a lot... Always liked "La Notte" but "L'Eclisse" is probably my favorite

Just a bit of a shout out for Sergio Carbucci.

Also Enzo Barboni (sometimes using the pseudonym of E.B. Clucher).