Welcome To Our Nightmare III: Terror, Wooley... and TAKOMA!

Tools    

Victim of The Night

“The humans are our cattle.”

News reporter Karen White (an excellent Dee Wallace) has been receiving messages from a serial-killer-on-the-rampage, Eddie, and goes to meet with him, secretly on-air and with police close at hand. Unfortunately, Eddie's bloody homicidal rampage may be more than just psychology. She survives but has a complete blackout of the events so friendly pop-psychologist Doc Waggner recommends she go spend some time up at The Colony, his pastoral psych-resort upstate. But something seems seems ominous at The Colony and Karen could be in more danger than ever before.

So, this movie is the definition of a mixed-bag. It was kinda big when it came out, I remember everybody talking about it and when I finally saw it (at maybe 13 or 14 years old) I kinda understood why. It has a number of intense moments (for 1981), it has a good bit of gore, it has a a lot of special effects, it has a pretty serious sex scene (for 1981), and it has a pretty good hook from beginning to very end, Dee Wallace is really great in this. She is nuanced and convincing. Very impressed with her. And the cast in general was good top to bottom with maybe Eddie being the only person I thought could have been better.
And, honestly, I really dig Joe Dante's style. I wish we'd gotten more out of him and I especially wish we got more of him without Spielberg in his life. He gives this movie a great wicked energy that I really, really liked and was largely what kept me going through the weaker parts of the movie.
* And before we get off of Dante, I'd like to mention that he named two of the characters in the film Teri Fisher and Fred Francis! If that doesn't warm your little heart you may be in the wrong thread.

Now for the negative. For one thing, the special effects in this movie are mostly pretty bad. Some may recall that it took a bit of a beating because it came out the same year as American Werewolf In London and it uses a lot of the same effects... and yet it looks pretty bad comparatively. The big transformation late in the movie was almost certainly supposed to hit really hard but it ends up looking really rough. I wondered if, while they were making this, they thought they had the most amazing transformation imaginable only to have American Werewolf make the look silly four months later.
Our werewolf design, actually, would almost be better than AWiL... but they went with these crazy ridiculous ears! So like, in this shot, It actually looks pretty cool (though you can see, on the left, that the ear is just comically large).

I mean, that's mostly a pretty scary-looking werewolf. But in other shots these enormous ears are just so silly it takes you completely out of the fact that you should be terrified by this thing. You're like, "Oh shit, this werewolf is terrifying... wait, look at his ears! Hahahahaha!
Anyway, there's also animated werewolf silhouettes that look so bad you can't believe it and even some stop-motion werewolves late in the game.
So then you start wondering, wait, is this movie actually supposed to be campy? Cuz like, earlier, a serial-killer was showing his (ostensibly) next victim a rape-scene but now it feels like you're adding a sort of goofiness to the movie? Joe, what is your tone?!

At the end of the day, I will enjoy this movie more in the future, and I will re-watch it, now that I've been reminded that it has a lot of highs but is ultimately just not that good of a movie.

Edit: I forgot to mention the best part of the movie which is the story.
This movie is actually about
WARNING: "Moderate to severe spoilers." spoilers below
a colony of werewolves living outside of San Francisco with an internal political struggle going on of whether they should continue trying to assimilate with the humans and just eat cattle or return to "The Old Ways" and make humans their cattle. And Eddie, the serial-killer, is really just a kind of sadistic werewolf who decided to go into the city and have a little reign of terror. That's why they bring Karen up to the colony, because she's the only one who has seen what Eddie really is and has it deep in her psyche that there are really werewolves in the World. And, of course, the way the movie ends is so great. Double-spoilers here, do not ****ing read this if you haven't seen the movie: To know you're bitten and know you're gonna turn and to make an act of self-sacrifice to go on television and tell everyone that werewolves are real - and have your transformation on the air for the World to see! - and then have your friend shoot you dead with a silver bullet once you've turned - man, that is heavy.

Victim of The Night

Curse of the Werewolf, 1961

In rural Spain a starving beggar (Richard Wordsworth) makes the mistake of begging at the wedding of a cruel Marques. Thrown into the dungeon for years and years, he loses his humanity. When a mute servant girl (Yvonne Romain) is thrown into the dungeon for refusing the Marques’ advances, she is raped by the beggar and becomes pregnant. She finds refuge with Don Alfredo (Clifford Evans) and his housekeeper Teresa (Hira Talfrey), who kindly take her in and ultimately adopt her baby. But the young Leon (played as a child by Justin Walters and an adult by Oliver Reed) has a curse on him, and soon it begins to impact those he loves.

Taking its time to develop characters and relationships, this is an impressive and memorable tale of horror.

In terms of werewolf films, this would probably be a top 5 for me. Just incredibly solid and a masterful example of managing a sprawling cast of characters.

Really liked this one. Currently on Criterion and highly recommended.

FULL REVIEW
Oh yeah. It's been about 10 years actually but I remember thinking last time I saw it (I've seen it like five or six times) that it was really a pretty good movie and had to be one of the better werewolf movies out there.

Victim of The Night

The Entity, 1982

Carla (Barbara Hershey) is a single mother raising three children in a house in Los Angeles. One night, out of the blue, Carla is physically and sexually assaulted in her bedroom by an unseen assailant. Initially perplexed---and understandably traumatized---by the unexplainable incident, Carla soon suffers another attack and then another. Desperate for help, Carla goes to Dr. Sneiderman (Ron Silver), who is convinced that the attacks are really just bouts of hysteria. Will Carla find someone who believes her before it’s too late?

A nightmarish scenario and a solid lead performance make for an impactful, if not entirely well-executed, horror movie.

I joked while halfway through the film that it could have been called “A Woman Trying to Get Medical Help: The Movie”, and honestly I think that this stays true for almost all of the runtime. A few days after watching the film, a woman told me a story about how her kneecap spontaneously dislocated and she fell down the stairs, and the doctor in the ER told her, “Well, as a woman that’s going to happen sometimes.” I could write paragraphs and paragraphs about experiences my female friends, relatives, and I myself have had trying to get help with a medical problem, only to be told it’s just a “woman thing” or that it’s “all in your head.”

Someone raised the very valid point that all of the “based on a true story” framing adds a slightly icky sheen, because in reality, yes, someone who thinks that they are being attacked by ghosts is probably mentally ill and needs psychological help, not an exorcist. But in the context of the film, the events and interactions frequently capture the absolute frustration of needing help with a real, painful, visceral thing, only to be told you’re imagining it. (The peak of this, for me, is when a senior doctor refers to Carla as a “little girl” who is “masturbating”).

The film is notable for its special effects, and they certainly make an impact. Using a prosthetic body, we see the invisible entity groping and restraining Carla as she is assaulted. It’s disturbing to witness as an audience, and obviously disturbing for Carla to witness as the victim of the assault. These sequences are interesting in terms of the effects, but do veer a bit toward the exploitative because in wanting to show off the neat effects, we’re also constantly being shown Carla’s exposed body.

I really liked Hershey in the lead role. She manages to portray fear and vulnerability, and the experience of someone who knows her experiences are real, but keeps coming up against people who say it’s all in her head. A standout sequence for her is when she talks to the doctor following the entity sexually abusing her while she was asleep. Unaware of what was happening, Carla experiences an orgasm and then must grapple with the deep, deep shame of that moment. I also enjoyed Margaret Blye as Carla’s friend Cindy, one of her strongest allies. There is a recurring theme of people wanting to explain away what Carla is experiencing, and a wonderful moment of allyship happens when Carla is being attacked and Cindy and her husband walk in on the attack. Cindy’s husband wants to hand-wave it all away, but Cindy stands firm, and just the act of her bearing witness has a restorative effect on Carla.

One of the strongest themes in the film, along with the maddening experience of not being believed, is the soothing nature of being seen. Most of the people who acknowledge what Carla is experiencing can’t actually do anything to help her. This entity is not going to be deterred by waving around some sage or saying a few prayers. But just the fact of knowing that she is believed does wonders for Carla.

Where the movie does sag quite a bit is in the internal logic of everything. The entity is not at all subtle. In fact, it is willing to attack Carla or otherwise manifest in the presence of other people. While at first this includes only more “subjective” characters like Carla’s son, it’s later shown that the entity will put on a show for just about anyone. It makes it harder and harder to get that tension of the doctors not believing her. If one of them spent even 20 minutes in her home, they’d be likely to see compelling evidence of Carl’s experiences. I would have found the story much more believable from a character/plot standpoint if the entity confined itself to tormenting Carla only when she was alone.

There’s also the really weird relationship between Carla and her children. To begin with, her relationship with her teenage son is just . . . hmm. Worrying? The way they talk to each other at first I couldn’t tell if they were meant to be married or parent and child. I also thought it was incredibly bizarre that Carla never seems to worry at all about her daughters. As far as she knows, her home has been invaded by a sadistic sexual predator. And she never even talks about being worried that they will be assaulted, nor does anyone ask the children if they have experienced any unwanted touching, voices, etc. I can’t imagine knowing there’s a sexual predator on the loose in my home and not having a single conversation about getting the kids out of the house. The movie makes some gestures at Carla not having the financial means to move them to a new place, but come on!

The premise itself is solid, and there’s enough to recommend it, but it does have several elements that detract from it feeling fully coherent.

I remember this movie blowing my mind when I was a teenager, it was really intense back in those days (maybe it still is I dunno). Sadly, I have not seen it since to figure out what it was and if it was as intense as I remember.

I don't actually wear pants.
I watched Immaculate tonight. I honestly didn't know the plot before going into the movie, so I thought that enhanced the experience. It's a gripping picture with some really good scares this time, vis my recent track record of horrors being sans scares. Really though I thought it was awesome. I'm starting to really dig Sydney Sweeney. Maybe I'll sift through her IMDb page and see what appeals to me and go from there. I jumped five times, including one ten-minute stretch where I jumped thrice.