My Favorite Movie Guilty Pleasures

→ in
Tools    

Some great stuff on this page; Unlawful Entry, Seems Like Old Times, Less Than Zero, St. Elmos Fire, and especially Slap Shot.

I haven't seen Butterflies are Free but I would watch it as Goldie Hawn can do no wrong in my eyes.

The one I don't like is Blow. That's the kind of movie I really love but it didn't work for me-big disappointment.
Totally agree with you regarding Goldie Hawn...I could have put her entire resume on this thread.

Change of Habit

Elvis' final film featured him as a singing doctor who becomes emotionally involved with a nun (Mary Tyler Moore). I never really bought Elvis as a doctor or Moore as a nun, but I will watch it if I run into it.

Small Town Girl

This 1953 MGM musical about a rich playboy (Farley Granger) who is arrested for speeding through a small town who falls for the sheriff's daughter (Jane Powell). Ann Miller tap dancing among a disembodied orchestra and Bobby Van's human pogostick number always make this movie worth watching.

Imitation of Life

I was scolded by another poster on this site several months ago for my review of this film because it is considered a great and serious film...that might be, but the movie just produces a lot of unintentional giggles in my opinion. The only thing in the movie I take seriously is the performance of Juanita Moore.

Twister

Nothing earth-shattering here, but the special effects are decent and it's one of my favorite time-wasters.

Drum roll please...actually, I have to admit that when I started this thread, I already knew what #1 was going to be, but throughout this whole journey, my # 1 guilty pleasure never changed...

Valley of the Dolls

Oh yeah, definitely my ultimate guilty pleasure...I've lost track of how many times I've watched this movie but it makes me laugh out loud every time. This 1966 bomb based on the best selling novel by Jacqueline Susaan provides consistent laughs, mainly due to some really dreadful performances, especially Patty Duke as Neeley O'Hara, a character supposedly based on Judy Garland, who was originally cast as Helen Lawson. Speaking of which, Susan Hayward, who ended up playing Helen, also has a memorable encounter with Neeley in a ladies room. Then there's the forever wooden Barbara Parkins and the most famous role of Sharon Tate's short-lived career ("Yes, mother, I'm doing my breast exercises). THIS is the funniest movie ever made.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Twister is one of my top guilty pleasure movies too. It's one of those movies that I have to stop and watch it every time it's on TV, but I don't know why.

One of my top guilty pleasure movies, (that you didn't mention), is The Negotiator (1998) with Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Spacey. It's another movie that I stop and watch it every time it's on TV. It's probably my #1 guilty pleasure movie.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Imitation of Life

I was scolded by another poster on this site several months ago for my review of this film because it is considered a great and serious film...that might be, but the movie just produces a lot of unintentional giggles in my opinion. The only thing in the movie I take seriously is the performance of Juanita Moore.
I'm a mean scolder.

I haven't seen the remake, but I heard that Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick were fantastic in the Broadway play. I have the remake on DVD, so maybe I'll push it up on my watchlist.

Remakes vs. originals are always kind of tricky because if you see them in the wrong order, then the original has to live up to the remake instead of vice versa.
They were just as fantastic in the movie as they were onstage, but I just get the feeling that the only people who were interested seeing the movie were people who saw the show onstage,,,every time I mention this movie to a non-buff, they tell me they've never heard of it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen the remake, but I heard that Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick were fantastic in the Broadway play. I have the remake on DVD, so maybe I'll push it up on my watchlist.

Remakes vs. originals are always kind of tricky because if you see them in the wrong order, then the original has to live up to the remake instead of vice versa.
They were just as fantastic in the movie as they were onstage, but I just get the feeling that the only people who were interested seeing the movie were people who saw the show onstage,,,every time I mention this movie to a non-buff, they tell me they've never heard of it.

I watched both versions of The Producers, and they're both good movies, but in different ways. The original version is more of a comedy that has some musical numbers in the play within a movie, but the remake is really a remake of the Broadway play, not really a remake of the original movie. The remake is more of a musical comedy with more songs and more energy.

It's interesting to see the differences in the cast too. Both versions had excellent casts, but I thought that Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder had better chemistry together. However individually, I liked Gene Wilder better than Matthew Broderick, and I liked Nathan Lane better than Zero Mostel. And there were a couple of nice surprises in the remake, like John Barrowman, who I think is a fantastic singer, and seeing Mel Brooks reprise his role as the Nazi Stormtrooper in the play. Also, the tribute to Matthew Broderick's Ferris Bueller after the credits was a nice touch.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Great List Gideon! I love to watch them all. I really really like your #1 choice Valley of the Dolls, it's such a fun movie to watch. It's the perfect Guilty Pleasure!