"Guess the movie from the Screenshot" game

Tools    

That is correct, the answer was incorrect.

Here's a really important hint: in this movie, a well-known actor plays the mother of the character who she herself played in the movie to which this one is a prequel.

The Rainbow.
Well, THAT was a journey!
Yes, that is the correct answer. Ken Russell's The Rainbow is a prequel to his earlier Women in Love. Glenda Jackson appears as the mother of the character she played in the earlier movie. Both are based on novels by D. H. Lawrence.

The movie also features Kenneth Colley, who played Admiral Piett in 2 Star Wars movies and Jim Carter of Downton Abbey.

Ok, who's next?

Wow, that didn't take long.

I give up.
Because you thought there were several dozen films featuring Kyle MacLachlan finding an ear in a field? Did you really think that was an obscure image from a little-known film or is it a memorable and obvious image from a famous film?

OPEN FLOOR
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

So I'm terrible at attachments. If you don't want to cheat, avoid quoting this post because the answer is in the link. I'm not sure how popular this film is, so I have a more "obvious" backup picture. Or maybe someone will immediately recognize it!

No clue

Well I guess we can rule out The Piano

Good guess, but no. (But you're in the right zone of weirdness!)

This movie has fewer than 4,000 votes on IMDb, and while it's not directed by a certain very famous New Zealand director, he does get a special thanks in it. I think I may have overestimated how many people might have seen this one.

Here's another two pictures:

Correct!

I think that it got this little wave of buzz in the early 2000s and so I assumed more people had seen it. When I saw just 3.1k IMDb votes, I was like "Uh, oh!"

It's really hard to find these days, but highly recommended if you come across it!

Congrats @Louis126

OK I've got one!

Plunder of the Sun * 1953
Sorry, no.

Hint: this isn't an English-language movie.

Here's another screenshot