Movies released since 2000 that you consider classics?

Tools    

Gladiator (2000)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
There Will Be Blood (2008)

Gladiator

Gladiator 2000 USA Ridley Scott
In the Mood for Love 2000 Hong Kong Kar-Wai Wong
Mulholland Drive 2001 USA David Lynch
Uzak 2002 Turkiye Nuri Bilge Ceylan
There Will be Blood 2008 USA Paul Thomas Anderson
Once Upon a Time in Anatolia 2011 Turkiye Nuri Bilge Ceylan
Argo 2012 USA Ben Affleck
Drive 2012 USA Nicolas Winding Refn
La La Land 2016 USA Damien Chazelle
The Lighthouse 2019 USA Robert Eggers

Only Three?

Waking Life (2001)
Inland Empire (2006)
Safety Not Guaranteed (2012)
That's the only three I could think of.

How do you define classic?

Cause I don't know on which planet a random Audrey Plaza film from 2012 counts as one...

Iron Man (2008)
Scoff if you will but it started a cinematic multibilliondollar juggernaut of MARVEL Studios films that's still going today.

Hereditary (2018)
A horror movie that pushed the envelope so effectively it still has me traumatized today. Showed the horror of helplessness.

Spirited Away (2001)
This is a work of art, completely fresh, and is still ahead of its time 24 years later.

Cause I don't know on which planet a random Audrey Plaza film from 2012 counts as one...
It's very subjective.

Actually it's a Colin Trevorrow movie. Written by Derek Connolly. Aubrey Plaza is one of the actors.

Also, by the same token I'm sure some would view Pulp Fiction as a random John Travolta movie from 1994. Or Back to the Future as a random Michael J. Fox movie from 1985. I view them as classics.

Anyway, can't wait to hear yours

Spirited Away (2001)
This is a work of art, completely fresh, and is still ahead of its time 24 years later.

Yeah it's good

Actually it's a Colin Trevorrow movie. Written by Derek Connolly. Aubrey Plaza is one of the actors.

Also, by the same token I'm sure some would view Pulp Fiction as a random John Travolta movie from 1994. Or Back to the Future as a random Michael J. Fox movie from 1985. I view them as classics.

Anyway, can't wait to hear yours
I don't view it as that much of a subjective term at all... People can consider Pulp as what you wrote, they can even hate on it - but the movie "trumps" them. It goes beyond the question of us having a chat like "so did you like it?" or the positive-negative reviews of it's day... It has earned it's status through several factors; it has stood the test of time, and it has contributed to the medium of film. Audiences and critics alike have gone back to it. Filmmakers have discussed it, remembered it and imitated it. Angel Dust on the other hand, is an Asian horror film from 1994 that I enjoed a lot, but don't consider a classic.

The Dark Knight, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Sideways and Brokeback Mountain are among the classics of their decade. They might not be *my* favorite films (which I guess is closer to what the OP has in mind?), but they are the ones I consider the C-word.

Iron Man (2008)
Scoff if you will but it started a cinematic multibilliondollar juggernaut of MARVEL Studios films that's still going today.

Hereditary (2018)
A horror movie that pushed the envelope so effectively it still has me traumatized today. Showed the horror of helplessness.

Spirited Away (2001)
I have never heard of Spirited Away

Trouble with a capital "T"
In the Mood for Love
Spirited Away
Pulp Fiction
Back to the Future

Of the films listed so far I'd consider these to be classics. Though I don't care for Pulp Fiction much.

I don't view it as that much of a subjective term at all... People can consider Pulp as what you wrote, they can even hate on it - but the movie "trumps" them. It goes beyond the question of us having a chat like "so did you like it?" or the positive-negative reviews of it's day... It has earned it's status through several factors; it has stood the test of time, and it has contributed to the medium of film. Audiences and critics alike have gone back to it. Filmmakers have discussed it, remembered it and imitated it. Angel Dust on the other hand, is an Asian horror film from 1994 that I enjoed a lot, but don't consider a classic.

The Dark Knight, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Sideways and Brokeback Mountain are among the classics of their decade. They might not be *my* favorite films (which I guess is closer to what the OP has in mind?), but they are the ones I consider the C-word.
Well by that definition the whole point with the thread kinda evaporates doesn't it? You could just google it, get some AI algorithm to list the approved candidates and move on.

My definition would be movies I believe I'd still enjoy watching say 20 years from now and that I expect would hold similar value to others. Of the examples you listed, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is the only one I might consider watching again.

In the Mood for Love
Spirited Away
Pulp Fiction
Back to the Future

Of the films listed so far I'd consider these to be classics. Though I don't care for one of them.
Hi Rules, the last two you mentioned (and I realize they were mentioned in other posts as examples of "classics") are from before 2000. The topic was what films released since 2000 do you consider classics. (Just making sure we're all on the same page.)

Trouble with a capital "T"
Hi Rules, the last two you mentioned (and I realize they were mentioned in other posts as examples of "classics") are from before 2000. The topic was what films released since 2000 do you consider classics. (Just making sure we're all on the same page.)
I was just looking at what others had already mentioned, copied the titles and then listed those that I'd call a classic. I didn't bother to look up the years that the movies were made

Well by that definition the whole point with the thread kinda evaporates doesn't it? You could just google it, get some AI algorithm to list the approved candidates and move on.
Yeah, I wanted to make sure where OP is standing on the usage of the term and I got my answer.

There would definitely be overlaps in our responses had we gone with a definition closer to mine but that could lead into interesting conversations too. To what point exactly would audiences engagement as a "consensus" matter in classifying something as classic? are there different kinds of classic? Is The Dark Knight more of a pop-culture-backed classic and Mulholland Dr. a critics-darling classic? Is Kill Bill closer to the status than let's say Harry Potter? How big of a factor is "auteur's touch" with any case?... the bubbles of thoughts go on and on.

I agree on La La Land and Dark Knight. I'll submit Ocean's Eleven. I really like Queen & Slim and Inception, but I expect they may not stand up as well a decade or so from now.

I agree on La La Land and Dark Knight. I'll submit Ocean's Eleven. I really like Queen & Slim and Inception, but I expect they may not stand up as well a decade or so from now.
I enjoyed Queen & Slim too. Think it's under rated.
Not sure I'd put it at classic level.