The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TOMORROW! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Why do songwriters run out of ideas as they get older?

Tools    

Almost without exception.

a tough question, i know

Because songs are about having something to say in a new way and it's only when you're young that it's new. That, or song writers as you're thinking of them sing the songs they write and so they're stuck to what works/what they hear. If you just write songs for anyone to sing I'm guessing this age thing doesn't work quite so easily/well as it does in your head.

The well goes dry... 10-15 years seems to be the max. Then, it's bad recycling.
even for the big names it seems.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
a tough question, i know
No, i mean can you elaborate on the thread title and topic other than saying almost without exception? Is it a given fact that songwriters run out of ideas as they get older? Some? All? Maybe. I don't know from the opening post though.

To help, I'm sure there are several factors as to why one could run out of ideas. Or at least reach a plateau of creativity. Life changes. As do interests and the time remaining to pursue those interests. Perhaps the external muse has gone. Maybe self discipline has waned and interests have shifted.

It's difficult to argue for or against one position or another without some frame of reference. Anecdotally, I have not written music is probably more than two years. I wouldn't say that this is because I am out of ideas though. In my case, much of my music came from emotional lows usually created by the people I chose to keep close to me. I have since closed a few doors, so to speak, to that negativity. Doing so has removed so many negative patterns that would inevitably lead to some emotional inspiration in music, writing, drawing, whatever. Suddenly, I find myself is a weird and unfamiliar positive mindset. I don't know what to do with myself, as I am now more excited in other aspects of my life.

I question that shift often. Perhaps it's age. Perhaps it's the tilt of the galaxy. Who knows. What I do know, however, is that Bowie was prolific. As are several artists that I listen to regularly.

Hm. I suppose you cannot discount the market tastes, but I would hope that would only affect commercial sales of work rather than the creation of it.

Are there any artists in particular that you were thinking of when posting?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

No, i mean can you elaborate on the thread title and topic other than saying almost without exception? Is it a given fact that songwriters run out of ideas as they get older? Some? All? Maybe. I don't know from the opening post though.

To help, I'm sure there are several factors as to why one could run out of ideas. Or at least reach a plateau of creativity. Life changes. As do interests and the time remaining to pursue those interests. Perhaps the external muse has gone. Maybe self discipline has waned and interests have shifted.

It's difficult to argue for or against one position or another without some frame of reference. Anecdotally, I have not written music is probably more than two years. I wouldn't say that this is because I am out of ideas though. In my case, much of my music came from emotional lows usually created by the people I chose to keep close to me. I have since closed a few doors, so to speak, to that negativity. Doing so has removed so many negative patterns that would inevitably lead to some emotional inspiration in music, writing, drawing, whatever. Suddenly, I find myself is a weird and unfamiliar positive mindset. I don't know what to do with myself, as I am now more excited in other aspects of my life.

I question that shift often. Perhaps it's age. Perhaps it's the tilt of the galaxy. Who knows. What I do know, however, is that Bowie was prolific. As are several artists that I listen to regularly.

Hm. I suppose you cannot discount the market tastes, but I would hope that would only affect commercial sales of work rather than the creation of it.

Are there any artists in particular that you were thinking of when posting?
Elton John and Billy Joel, for instance.

As songwriters age, their life experiences and perspectives change. They might find it challenging to relate to or express the same themes and emotions they once did, leading to a perceived lack of inspiration or new ideas.