Fight Club turns 25 with a major re-release and art book planned

Tools    

It looks like they're putting together quite a package for the 25th anniversary of Fight Club, which is getting a theatrical re-release as well as a commemorative book and more.

Franky I never quite understood the appeal of the movie, beyond it being a kind of a clever things-aren't-what-they-seem take on male aggressiveness.

But it does seem to have a lot of fans, for some reason.

Victim of The Night
It looks like they're putting together quite a package for the 25th anniversary of Fight Club, which is getting a theatrical re-release as well as a commemorative book and more.

Franky I never quite understood the appeal of the movie, beyond it being a kind of a clever things-aren't-what-they-seem take on male aggressiveness.

But it does seem to have a lot of fans, for some reason.
I thought it was very good when it came out and even enjoyed it on home-video a few times but for some reason I have no desire to ever revisit it.

I will revisit it, just to see how well it has aged. I'm pretty sure I haven't watched it since the day it opened in theaters

I don't actually wear pants.
I watched it once and strongly disliked the film. I understand it speaks to the rebellious sides of people. I just found it annoying. The author thinks people have issues if they idolize Tyler Durden and that the fans completely missed the point of the story. Then why'd you write it...

It's been a while since I've seen it. My memory was that the first half was a powerful deconstruction of toxic masculinity with the emphasis on the underground fight clubs (one forum poster I know said a handful of people at his college started their own fight club after the film was released) and some of the lesser crimes the characters committed. However, the more extreme their crimes got and the more the film leaned into the terrorist organization, the more its commentary became all too over-the-top and its plot too implausible for me to take it seriously. I do think the twist is a brilliant way for its commentary to culminate though, so that partly saved the film. However, men who think that beating each other up for fun makes them look cool is more relatable to me as a deconstruction of masculinity than the Space Monkey's goals to cripple the entire financial system.

I watched it once and strongly disliked the film. I understand it speaks to the rebellious sides of people. I just found it annoying. The author thinks people have issues if they idolize Tyler Durden and that the fans completely missed the point of the story. Then why'd you write it...
I mean, the film is a deconstruction of toxic masculinity, so if your takeaway was that you're meant to idolize Pitt's character, then you are missing the point of the film.

I don't actually wear pants.
I mean, the film is a deconstruction of toxic masculinity, so if your takeaway was that you're meant to idolize Pitt's character, then you are missing the point of the film.
I came away thinking him to be an awful person. He seemed to be a reflection of what people sometimes wish they could do but always know they shouldn't. Honestly I don't think the movie was well-written at all, although I haven't read the book. Anarchic stories don't appeal to me, because it's a lot of, "Look! Authority sucks!" and then everything crumbles when authority is removed, and it defeats itself.

I won't call a fan of Fight Club anything derogatory because that's not who I am. I just don't see its appeal. I will question the morals of someone who idolizes Tyler Durden though.

The Guy Who Sees Movies
Maybe I need to revisit it. It's been quite a while, I did not like it when I saw it and could not understand why it was and is so well regarded. The appeal of guys standing right next to each other punching each other's brains into gelatin is lost on me.

It's been a while since I've seen it. My memory was that the first half was a powerful deconstruction of toxic masculinity
It's deeper than that. It's about the death of meaning.

Is, for example, the blatant homoeroticism a critique of toxic masculinity? If so, how does that function? Is it a schoolyard jeer that a "real man" is a "man's man"? That would be less of a "powerful deconstruction" and a lame folk-psychological appeal (attempting to move men off masculinity for fear of getting gay cooties). Or, worse, is the critique homophobic? That is, is it really saying that a real man would be a man's man (i.e., that it would genuinely be a bad/gay thing to take the red pill, so go fall into the arms of Marla)? I don't think that the film is homophobic, so reading it as a critique of the toxic male is not accounting for the homoerotic themes of repression and desire. At best, this idea is incomplete. At worst, it misses the point of the film. And I think that the latter is closer to being true.

Sure, the bro-reading of the film chants the name of Robert Paulson and sees a pattern for reclamation. Yes, I am sure some idiots actually did start their own fight clubs.

The "deeper" reading, however, ain't that deep. It fails to acknowledge the problems identified in the film, or meekly asserts that our world, as bad as it is, must be better than the alternatives ("Sure, there's a downside to civilization, now put on your blue corn silk tie, sit in traffic for two hours, and fill out your TPS reports"). If Fight Club is this story, then it is no different than Falling Down, a film which lacked the courage of its own convictions (see below)

I think that Fight Club captures the desperation of modernity grappling with the loss a metaphysical picture (loosely, the death of man). How do we make meaning as the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world? Is the hedonic treadmill of consumerism in latter-day capitalism's era Bullshit Jobs sustainable? Be careful. Keep sweeping it under the carpet, keep kicking the can and you face the revenge of the repressed. This is what Sting is singing about in Synchronicity II.
The film doesn't present an answer, but rather warns us what will happen if we lack the will and imagination to learn how we modern materialists may live in a fulfilling dramatic mythos, a story worthy of us continuing to turn the page.

And it's a message we should pay attention to. Hitler would appeal to dispossessed Germans and offer them a transformative narrative complete with scapegoating, purpose, and a solution. Today's boys are increasingly lost boys. They're dropping out of college (or not even enrolling). They're dropping out of the workforce. Get a lot of men who are pissed off, poor, and seemingly have nothing to lose, and a Tyler Durden will appear. The message Fight Club IMO is NOT that everything is fine (or would be if males would stop being so toxic), or that "Well, modernity is still better than a sharp stick in the eye!" Rather, the message is that we're missing something vital in our humanity and that we need a new pattern of being, new formal relationships in society. It's a challenge. Tyler isn't the answer, but he does have a point.

i felt a bit cheated by the movie

You guys - don't forget the first rule of Fight Club