Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Blade Runner (1982) - Ridley Scott

- It's been 3 years since I first watch that flick and once again it amaze me. The universe is AMAZING so many details and beautiful visuals. Characters are well-writen and every dialogue is great. Rutger Hauer is simply fantastic in this flick. Every single shots are wonderful. You need to respect this movie for what it is... One of the best (if not the best) sci-fi movie ever made. period

> - It's been 3 years since I first watch that flick and once again it amaze me. The universe is AMAZING so many details and beautiful visuals. Characters are well-writen and every dialogue is great. Rutger Hauer is simply fantastic in this flick. Every single shots are wonderful. You need to respect this movie for what it is... One of the best (if not the best) sci-fi movie ever made. period

I rewatched it yesterday too!

I kept looking at all the props, cars, decorations and admiring, to some extent even distracted from the plot. The attention to details is great. I'd really like to see behind the scenes shots of the movie if anyone has a link.

Finally got off my ass and went see It (2017) this weekend. I thought the hype would ruin the movie since I waited soo long to see it, but I really enjoyed it. The film was way funnier than I thought it would be, and I liked how this version of the movie explored more of the history of Derry. Given my penchant for gangster films, I was really interested when I saw this mural during the film:

When I saw this, I thought to myself, that's some gangster looking ****. And when Ben mentioned the "Bradley Gang" by name later in the movie, I assumed that's what it was.

Now, I never read the book, but anyone who has, feel free to tell me if there are Depression-Era gangsters in IT, because I will read the **** out of that. I will make those ****ing pages float.

King, and the creative minds behind this movie, based the Bradley gang off of real life bank robber Al Brady, who was named Public Enemy No 1., and killed by the FBI in Bangor, Maine while trying to purchase two Tommy Guns from a sporting goods store (because the 20s/30s were ****ing insane). Here's the mural of IT's Bradley gang vs. a photo of the Brady gang's real life demise.

Besides the over use of CGI (Pennywise growing to like 40 feet in the garage was dumb), I thought this would be more practically driven effects wise, my biggest problem with the film is the line "You'll float too". Again, I've never read the books, but the line in the 1990 version left me with the impression with when Curry said that, he meant your dead body will float in the sewer or something like that - and that line always creeped me out. I was sort of dissapointed to see in this film, he literally meant you will float.

Overall I really liked the movie. Though I prefer Tim Curry's portrayal of Pennywise (because that's the one that scared the crap out of me as a child), I liked how Bill Skarsgård played Pennywise as something that was trying to pretend to be human, but not quite sure how to do it.

This left me really excited for the next one. Rating:

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I thought this lacked the charm of the first one, but still enjoyable

Man on the Tracks (1957) (Dir. Munk)

Munk's debut is a bit too reliant on clunky narration and narrative gimmickry, recalling Siodmak's The Killers in one regard and Kurosawa's Rashomon in another, but the tears he wrings from his conclusion and the haunting impression he leaves on his audience is remarkable.

Traffic (2000) (Dir. Soderbergh)

tl;dr the war on drugs is bad

Trouble with a capital "T"
I thought this lacked the charm of the first one, but still enjoyable

I liked both, I gave the first a 3/5 the second a 3.5/5

It was nice seeing all these established actors in an assemble cast. And I really liked the actor who played the owner of the hotel, Dev Patel. He's the same guy in Lion too.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The ensemble is excellent, and Dev is great (but I thought he pushed it a bit far in the 2nd. Too much of a caricature for me). Still, he;s a fantastic actor, nd I love that this is full of older characters but any age can enjoy it. Judi Dench and Maggie Smith *swoon*

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Krisha - 5/10

Cliched, but tried to disguise that with editing... But when I see an old female as the lead, I usually give it a shot..

Terrific movie.

Also very good movie.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Armstrong (Kerry Carlock and Nicholas Lund-Ulrich, 2017): On her first night as an EMT, Lauren, along with her new partner Eddie soon find themselves in a situation they never expected. They find a wounded man in an alley and attempt to help him. Soon, they find themselves followed by a high-tech drone intending to kill them. The EMTs soon learn that they man they are trying to nurse back to health is Armstrong, a superhero with a high-tech bionic arm that shoots bullets. Armstrong informs the duo of an impending war between him and the Fifth Sun, a Doomsday cult.

Actually a pretty good meshing of superhero, sci-fi, and drama driven by the performances of Orange is the New Black's Janae, Vicky Jeudy as the EMT with a past and Shawn Parsons as the titular superhero.

Got to see this via screener with an official VOD and Walmart DVD exclusive release tomorrow.

Final Rating
: B+

The Decoy Bride (2011)

Le Corbeau (1943)

French for The Raven, and because of that I was expecting a horror movie. It's from the same director as Diaboliques, Wages Of Fear, and Quai des Orfevres, and as it turns out I like the two lesser known films the best. This is a mystery/drama about a smear campaign against a doctor, with letters traveling around town from "The Raven". It's got a dark edge to it, and I knew I'd like it right from the start. It deserves it's place on the 40's countdown.

Trouble with a capital "T"

Sunset Song (2015)

A stunningly beautiful to look at, visual film, with slow reflective scenes bathed in warm amber light....like the embers of a warm fire on a winter's day, the appeal is in the ambiance of the illusion. And a story line that covers the life of a young woman in rural Scotland in the 19th century is equally appealing.

It's too bad it's cursed with a hackneyed script that trouts out two dimensional characters of the most overused film tropes. The actors themselves were fine, especially the actress who plays the lead..But this film has nowhere to go and all that visual beauty can't save what is efficiently a hack writing job. Another trip through the editing room might have trimmed off the fat and tightened the film up. As is I give it a: