Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

My cheesy movie of the night, except that it's actually not all that cheesy. It's Them!, set in 1954 (the present at that moment), starring James Arness and James Whitmore, a somewhat surprising cast for a movie like this. It's a dusty southwestern town and, all of a sudden, giant ants are devouring the citizenry. The FBI gets involved and everybody is worried.

What's interesting about this, a cheesy big bug plot, is that everybody plays it straight. It's a better movie than I would expect, decent acting, and, if you can believe in giant ants, the rest of the plot is fairly smart and believable. Well shot and acted, glorious black and white with hints about atomic paranoia.

I trust that’s the one you meant @Takoma11?
Yes!

I've read some criticisms of it, and I think some of them are valid, but dang if I didn't love both the connection between the backstory and the "now" story of it and also some really bold visual elements toward the end. I will really look forward to your thoughts when you finish.

Also, the lead actor (who starred in God's Own Country) is really solid, in my opinion. I think that he gives a lot of nuance (and, to be fair, so does the screenplay) to a character who could have been very one-dimensional. Once you finish the film I hope you'll get what I mean.

Expected something better from the ending (imagined the twist that wasn’t there, which is a bit annoying). But it was great.

Going to watch The Power of the Dog in an hour or so, ahead of the Oscars, since I think it is going to win best picture this year.