What did the ending of Evil Does Not Exist mean?

Tools    

The truth is in here
I saw Evil Does Not Exist in theaters a few months ago and was digging it a lot... and then the ending arrived. It left me utterly baffled, like I hadn't understood the story that was presented to me at all, wondering if there's some giant picture I failed to get a good look at. In fact I found the ending so confusing I ended up hating it.
WARNING: spoilers below
It took a likable character and turned him into a murderous psychopath with no clear explanation for what provoked him.

If somebody else has seen this movie and is able to deciper what Hamaguchi's intent was, I would love to hear it.

Did you watch it at a festival or do you live somewhere where it was released early?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I can't believe Hamaguchi is using those upper-hand normie repellants and they work so well. He did it before with Asako I & II. They're almost like gimmicks, but they work because the dude is a genius.

My write-up about Evil Does Not Exist below. Maybe it'll shed some light on the ending.

WARNING: "Evil Does Not Exist" spoilers below

Ah, Hamaguchi's back, and his theme is again people's inability to communicate. Here it's city dwellers and country dwellers. But then there's more. The long glamping site debate could easily be taken straight from a lost Shinsuke Ogawa doc. The opening title and jump cuts (including abrupt music cuts) feel Godardian.

Pretty great how Hamaguchi uses the Japanese cinema cliche that appeals to city dwellers. He first tries to lull you to sleep, pretending to imply that rural life is peaceful and that city dwellers can change fast thanks to it. But then he hits you with an ending that transgresses this idea, enlarging the divide back to where it always was.

Nature doesn't really welcome people. If people make a misstep, it acts against them. If a glamping site is supposed to be where the deer track is, that's the man directly meddling with nature, the man crossing nature's path, and stopping a natural cycle. Nature will fight back when it's the last thing it can do, but it'll fight back all the same because nature is not that nice picture-perfect thing city dwellers believe it is.

Nature is primordial and wild. But it's not evil. Good and evil are man-made concepts. Nature is above that. This is a refreshing if not-that-deep denouement. The girl learned her lesson to never cross nature's track. And this sure showed Takahashi. Of course, he tried to stop nature from taking its course, and so he found himself in a choke, unable to act at nature's course. The girl was stopped by a gut-shot deer. Takahashi was stopped by a parent. You cannot touch deer because they have diseases. There's a natural divide between man and nature. The man shouldn't interfere in nature.

This DOES feel, for lack of a better word, gimmicky, but then again, I have no idea how else this could've ended.

The ending begs the question of the difference between choking somebody to death and choking somebody to unconsciousness. It takes some time before we see Takahashi back up on his feet, coughing. You're free to interpret this as a dream-like scene and proof he was murdered, but I don't believe anything else in the film hinted at any sort of abstract/surreal/dreamy approach (maybe apart from the opening shot of trees that, when contemplated long enough, made them look like veins inside the human body). Nevertheless, I believe that the coughing is way too visceral to appear in any sort of non-realistic scene, and as such, my takeaway can only be that Takahashi wasn't murdered, the brutality of Takumi's act notwithstanding.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I can't believe Hamaguchi is using those upper-hand normie repellants
Yeah, that did not sound elitist at all

Gatekeeping is good. It was a pleasure to observe what happened after Drive My Car won the Oscar.

what happened after Drive My Car won the Oscar.
What did happen? I don't remember lots of people becoming Hamaguchi fans.

Look, if they guy wants to preach to a smaller audience, that's totally his prerogative. I think he's missing out on the potential that comes with reaching a wider audience, but who are we to tell him what kinds of movies he should make?

What did happen? I don't remember lots of people becoming Hamaguchi fans.
Exactly.

It's cool for Hamaguchi that his film won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film. It was recognized by more people and so on. I hoped he wouldn't sell out and would continue making great cinema. Evil Does Not Exist is his worst in about 10 years, but still amazing, so I'm looking forward to what he'll come up with next.

Back to the Oscar, the worst part is that, sure, thanks to Drive My Car winning an Oscar, more people got to know it. The trouble is that they didn't approach watching this film as "Drive My Car or another film by Japanese director Ryusuke Hamaguchi." No, they approached it as "Drive My Car, an Oscar winner."

And immediately a cloud of normies poured out, who, approaching the film, expected something completely different from what the film offered. Of course, quite a few of them pulled out their phones during the screening and mindlessly played with them. They didn't come to the theater to see the movie Drive My Car. They came to the theater to see an Oscar movie. There's a bit of dissonance between the critical acclaim and the personal tastes of the normies.

Some of those bloody normies went home and wrote on their Letterboxd account what an "objectively good movie" it is, but left it unrated because it's "not a movie for them." Others mindlessly retweeted thoughts from last year's (actually, annual) Oscars about why all the films that win there are weak and overrated. Finally, yet another subgroup of the normies admitted that the film simply surpassed them and they got bored. They found the film pretentious, gave it some ridiculously low rating, and went back to their daily lives with a smile on their lips. The highest-rated films of those people on Letterboxd include The Green Mile, Forrest Gump, The Dark Knight, and Promising. Young. Woman.

And yes, many of those people are "critics" - a position now completely discredited, an insult to honor rather than any kind of distinction. The only thing those people are able to spout about Drive My Car, other than "boring and pretentious" are some arbitrary, meaningless keywords like "Chekhov" and "Murakami." They can't even understand the author's rights to how he adapts a literary work. The same was true of the latest adaptation of All Quiet on the Western Front. But that's a topic for another occasion.

So yeah, normies might not get a film, okay. But I expect more from someone who calls himself a critic. Meanwhile, those "critics" are just normies in drag. Total film normies.

Sometimes gatekeeping is a good thing.

I think he's missing out on the potential that comes with reaching a wider audience
His themes are very universal. What do you even mean by a wider audience? Normies? **** normies. Hamaguchi doesn't owe them a thing. He should stick to what he's doing. He can't become another sellout.

Sometimes gatekeeping is a good thing.
Good for whom, and in what way? That just sounds like a lot of elitism.

His themes are very universal. What do you even mean by a wider audience? Normies? **** normies. Hamaguchi doesn't owe them a thing. He should stick to what he's doing. He can't become another sellout.
Again, there's an element of elitism that runs through much of what you post. Certainly some great directors of the 20th Century managed to make really great movies while also reaching wide audiences.

David Lean. John Ford. Alfred Hitchcock. Akira Kurosawa. Stanley Kubrick. Ernst Lubitsch. Federico Fellini. Orson Welles. Ingmar Bergman. Billy Wilder. Frank Capra. John Huston. William Wyler. Fred Zinneman. Otto Preminger.

Those weren't just a bunch of hacks. Most of their movies did reasonably well, with an odd turkey here and there.

Certainly some great directors of the 20th Century managed to make really great movies while also reaching wide audiences.

David Lean. John Ford. Alfred Hitchcock. Akira Kurosawa. Stanley Kubrick. Ernst Lubitsch. Federico Fellini. Orson Welles. Ingmar Bergman. Billy Wilder. Frank Capra. John Huston. William Wyler. Fred Zinneman. Otto Preminger.

Those weren't just a bunch of hacks. Most of their movies did reasonably well, with an odd turkey here and there.
Sure, so? What's your point?

A director is an artist. An artist doesn't have to make films that reach wide audiences. Some of these directors, while great, had their works butchered (Kurosawa's Idiot, Welles' everything safe for Kane). Many were studio directors, working for a bowl of rice. And yet they exceeded at their art. Fellini was a rare breed of arthouse filmmaker whose films gained mainstream appeal. I used to hate Fellini but I warmed up to him through the years.

But the directors you named are just a select few. I could name two, three, or four as many that were just as great and worked just as hard in just as hard a studio system, but they never reached a wide audience, whatever this means anyway.

I think 'wide audience' is a misnomer anyway.

An artist doesn't have to make films that reach wide audiences.
True, but if the underlying themes and messages in their work are truly universal, then reaching wide audiences is something that will very often come naturally.

True, but if the underlying themes and messages in their work are truly universal, then reaching wide audiences is something that will very often come naturally.
Hard disagree. The themes and messages are one thing. How they're conveyed through style is another. And then you have things such as fame, limelight, and so on.

Tarkovsky's themes are truly universal, too, and yet his films are regularly flowing above normies' heads. At this point many just pretend they like/get them because Tarkovsky became Arthouse 101. It's better to observe normies' reactions to films outside of the obvious canon. They really show their taste/true colors when faced with a less obvious masterpiece.

The themes and messages are one thing. How they're conveyed through style is another. And then you have things such as fame, limelight, and so on.
But isn't the very essence of cinema the ability to convey thoughts, ideas and emotions in a way that truly transcends time and space?

If an artist has been blessed with the opportunity, so to speak, to put themes and ideas out there that will transcend time and space, is it not perhaps a little bit wasteful to not try to make the most of it?

Is it not better when the artist's ideas are like a seed that has spread far and wide?

But isn't the very essence of cinema the ability to convey thoughts, ideas and emotions in a way that truly transcends time and space?
Maybe. But the artist doesn't owe you an in-your-face explanation or accessible style. I believe it should be the other way around. To make films as cryptic and mysterious as it gets. Or as obvious as it gets, but with an unfathomable mystery hidden in plain sight. Film is not just about telling the story but also about the amazing ways one can do it.

If an artist has been blessed with the opportunity, so to speak, to put themes and ideas out there that will transcend time and space, is it not perhaps a little bit wasteful to not try to make the most of it?
In what way? Pander to the general audience by explaining everything and leaving no mystery, nothing to think about, no style to be amazed at? Modern mainstream cinema has lost its artistry as it is. They used to know how to block a shot, where to put the camera, and how to create aesthetically pleasing images. Even insufferable sugar-coated melodramas of Sirk or musicals of Minnelli have amazing visuals. This is a long-lost art. Some have tried but they just cannot recreate this look without a comical effect. Digital just doesn't cut it. You cannot fake the beauty of Technicolor, or Eastmancolor with digital. Pick a Suzuki film from his early career, something like Inn of the Floating Weeds and marvel at how fresh this film is. It's from 1957 and yet Suzuki has a verve most modern filmmakers lack. So many interesting camera movements and shot angles - you really feel he's trying. Modern filmmakers don't try. They forgot how to make films. They just put the camera down and start rolling. They'll fill the rest with CGI anyway. That's why art cinema nowadays is more important than ever. But this doesn't mean art cinema must appeal to the normies because if it does, the normies will devour it, regurgitate it and make it their own, e.g., just like the rest of modern mainstream cinema.

Is it not better when the artist's ideas are like a seed that has spread far and wide?
You can spread your seed far and wide and merely brush a few people. But if you concentrate your seed on a specific point, a miracle will happen.

Maybe. But the artist doesn't owe you an in-your-face explanation or accessible style.
I do not want (nor do I usually appreciate) "an in-your-face explanation or accessible style" - quite the contrary. For my own personal preference, there can be no better art than that which defies easy explanation and does not limit itself to "accessible style". There are, however, some exquisitely multi-layered pieces of work out there, including some amazing movies, that can work on different levels for different people.

I believe it should be the other way around. To make films as cryptic and mysterious as it gets. Or as obvious as it gets, but with an unfathomable mystery hidden in plain sight. Film is not just about telling the story but also about the amazing ways one can do it.
The artist doesn't owe you anything, either. Artists should make the kind of art they really want to make - but I wouldn't want to see them starving for it, either. Would you?

Modern mainstream cinema has lost its artistry as it is. They used to know how to block a shot, where to put the camera, and how to create aesthetically pleasing images. Even insufferable sugar-coated melodramas of Sirk or musicals of Minnelli have amazing visuals. This is a long-lost art. Some have tried but they just cannot recreate this look without a comical effect. Digital just doesn't cut it. You cannot fake the beauty of Technicolor, or Eastmancolor with digital. Pick a Suzuki film from his early career, something like Inn of the Floating Weeds and marvel at how fresh this film is. It's from 1957 and yet Suzuki has a verve most modern filmmakers lack. So many interesting camera movements and shot angles - you really feel he's trying. Modern filmmakers don't try. They forgot how to make films. They just put the camera down and start rolling.
Aren't we just incredibly fortunate to live in an era where so many great films from decades past are (for the most part, anyway) easily and readily accessible? We should hope they would become even more easily accessible!!

They'll fill the rest with CGI anyway. That's why art cinema nowadays is more important than ever. But this doesn't mean art cinema must appeal to the normies because if it does, the normies will devour it, regurgitate it and make it their own, e.g., just like the rest of modern mainstream cinema.

You can spread your seed far and wide and merely brush a few people. But if you concentrate your seed on a specific point, a miracle will happen.
That just sounds like more elitism. The most powerful ideas are the ideas that spread rapidly and become stuck on people's minds. Some would equate that with "going viral," but it has happened in the arts since time immemorial. Some art is just more likely to make an impression, and some of it will just be forgotten.

The trick is not minding
I learned about him because of of the Oscars (possibly, anyways) I haven’t watched Drive My Car yet. I started with his firsts films, and I love Asako I and II and Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy. Haven’t seen Haply Hour yet, but I’m ready to dive into Drive My car regardless.
I wouldn’t have known about him if it hadn’t been for Drive My Car. (Although there is a slight chance I may have heard of Wheel of Fortune And Fantasy first, because it seemed familiar when I looked him up).

A cinephile shouldn’t care for how other people concern themselves with films.
And gatekeeping is dumb.

I learned about him because of of the Oscars (possibly, anyways) I haven’t watched Drive My Car yet. I started with his firsts films, and I love Asako I and II and Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy. Haven’t seen Haply Hour yet, but I’m ready to dive into Drive My car regardless.
I wouldn’t have known about him if it hadn’t been for Drive My Car. (Although there is a slight chance I may have heard of Wheel of Fortune And Fantasy first, because it seemed familiar when I looked him up).

A cinephile shouldn’t care for how other people concern themselves with films.
And gatekeeping is dumb.
In case you're interested, Happy Hour is streaming on the Criterion Channel through the end of the month.

It's better to observe normies' reactions to films outside of the obvious canon. They really show their taste/true colors when faced with a less obvious masterpiece.
This is a really good point. Especially in the age of the Internet.

This is a really good point. Especially in the age of the Internet.
So you're saying there's never been a better time to be an elitist snob?

I saw Evil Does Not Exist in theaters a few months ago and was digging it a lot... and then the ending arrived. It left me utterly baffled, like I hadn't understood the story that was presented to me at all, wondering if there's some giant picture I failed to get a good look at. In fact I found the ending so confusing I ended up hating it.
WARNING: spoilers below
It took a likable character and turned him into a murderous psychopath with no clear explanation for what provoked him.

If somebody else has seen this movie and is able to deciper what Hamaguchi's intent was, I would love to hear it.
I haven't watched it since October, so some of the details have been lost in my mind and I recall my friend and I had to work out the ambiguous nature of the time jumps to determine where we landed on what the actual sequence of things were, but, at a high level of what you were asking:
WARNING: "Evil Does Not Exist ending" spoilers below

One variant of what we suggested was:

Glamping site in the nearby valley introduced hunting (there was something earlier in the film about the father or someone complaining about it). The deer(?) (stag?) that the daughter was following was injured by a gunshot, i.e. the glamping sites from the neighboring valley/mountain side. She incorrectly didn't understand or was able to manage how the wild animal would react defensively and aggressively to her, because it was injured (by a human) and a small human (her) kept following it. So that attacked her and... killed her, I believe. I can't remember if she was dead (pretty sure she was) or grievously injured and unconscious.

The father, in seeing his daughter's body, has a moment of anger rising and has sussed out what happened. His fury at the general project of glamping in the natural area, of crass civilization encroaching on nature and the destruction it brings just explodes and it manifests by choking the representative of the glamping company who is with him (even though neither his glamping company, and especially not him, are responsible for this particular deer that was shot). He chokes him until he is unconscious. Anger subsides at his limpness. One can argue if he was killed, or just left in a precarious situation. In some ways the father is mimicking the behavior of the wounded deer (or stag?). Metaphorically, you have two entities, civilization and nature, inflicting great harm on each other, out of understandable anger and desperation, but in a destructive, not constructive manner.

Another read, I seem to recall us trying to figure out was if the daughter and the deer were still standing there when they got there, and the father choked the glamping representative to prevent any sudden movement/etc because the deer was about to lunge at the daughter. But I think my friend and I decided against that based on visual hints of passage of time in the scenes. So the presentation of the deer and the daughter as they arrived was the father's mind's eye realizing what had happened (or the movie giving us the flashback without an obvious time change cue).

I apologize if my shitty memory got things wrong and confused things. I apologize if my take is just fundamentally unsound (probably compounded by time and my general degradation of memory). But does that sound about right based on what you were wrestling with?