WWII movie

Tools    

Hello. I watched this movie in Europe before 2006, not sure if it's an American made movie or a co-production among European counties.

I remember two scenes from it - an American (I believe so) guy getting trained during boot camp. Another scene is at a hospital. A Nazi sentry is at its entrance. The good guy takes his knife/bayonet and jumps down from a balcony and kills the Nazi soldier. Any ideas?

It's not The Dirty Dozen. It was somewhat of a newer movie, think 80s-90s. The guy who was shown during the bootcamp was the main character and the movie was following his experience in the war. It could be a TV movie.

Maybe Biloxi Blues (1988) ?
A group of young recruits go through boot camp during the Second World War in Biloxi, Mississippi. From the play by Neil Simon.
I didn't watch, but it is during the Second World War, so maybe? Other parts of "Dirty Dozen" are possible too.

It's not any of the Dirty Dozen movies nor is the Biloxi Blues. It was a very serious movie. I believe there was some kind of a love story. The girl was working in the hospital and the soldier, who killed the Nazi soldier by jumping off the balcony came to save her.

Perhaps it is "The English Patient" (1996). It is a serious war drama that includes a love story and scenes in a hospital. Unfortunately, I am not sure your scene. Every detail will be helpful.

Unfortunately, it's not The English Patient. I remembered one more scene - the protagonist, the good guy, and a girl make out next to a wall of a building. All of a sudden sirens can be heard all around. Bombers start dropping bombs some distance away from them but they don't stop kissing.

The other two scenes are at the hospital where the protagonist jumps from a balcony with his knife and kills an enemy soldier.

The other scene is at a bootcamp. His drill Sargeant asks him if he knows how to use a gun and he says no. I don't think he was part of the regular army or regular army bootcamp. So, he might have been trained to be a spy/saboteur/member of the resistance.

I think the song Caruso was used which makes me think the movie might be Italian.

I watched it in Europe probably in the 90s or early 2000s. 100% sure it was before 2006. I believe it was colored. Could be a TV movie or mini TV-series.

I think that "In Love and war" (2001) is similar, but I doubt that you are looking this movie.

I will be search on different databases.

It's not In Love and War either. It's probably some obscure European TV movie. It'll be close to impossible to find

Maybe Krigerens Hjerte(1992)?
A Norwegian nurse falls in love with a Finnish soldier in the Winter War of 1939/40 between Finland and the USSR. After settling down World War II erupts, and he is lost in Finland, as she falls in love with Maximilian, a German soldier.

Other possibility is using IMDB filters, your description is good, but keywords aren't too specific in this case.
https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?t...ot&plot=second

Strayed (2003) is similar too.
Emmanuelle Béart stars as a widowed schoolteacher who flees German-occupied Paris with her children. A teenage boy comes to their rescue by leading them into the forest -- their best shot at survival.

And Il partigiano Johnny (2000) is some similar too.

Or La Neige et le Feu (1991)

According to the original post, the protagonist trained at a boot camp, and then went off to kill Nazis. That would mean the protagonist was a uniformed soldier in an allied army. So the protagonist could not have been Italian or Finnish, for example, because those countries were on the side of the Axis. So it is probably not an Italian or Finnish movie. (Although given the recent post from the OP, I suppose there is a chance it could be an Italian who is some sort of anti-Fascist and anti-Nazi partisan, and who somehow gets trained at an allied boot camp)
I am suspecting that the protagonist was English, and that this is an English movie. Hearing air raid sirens but then ignoring them to keep making out with your girl sounds like a very English thing to do. Also telling your sergeant you don't know how to use a gun.
I think there is a possibility that the protagonist was with the Special Operations Executive, which would have had secret missions that would have involved things like sneaking up on German guards with a knife. Or maybe he was just a regular soldier who went off on his own to save this nurse.
Or, it could be an American who gets stationed in the UK, maybe meets an English nurse, then goes into Europe on D-Day.
The English are rather obsessed with World War II, they make tons of movies and documentaries about it.

OK. I know several English-language movies:
Captain Corelli's Mandolin (2001)
Enigma (2001)
Black Book (2006)

I think that best solution will be if OP checks all my ideas.

According to the original post, the protagonist trained at a boot camp, and then went off to kill Nazis. That would mean the protagonist was a uniformed soldier in an allied army. So the protagonist could not have been Italian or Finnish, for example, because those countries were on the side of the Axis. So it is probably not an Italian or Finnish movie. (Although given the recent post from the OP, I suppose there is a chance it could be an Italian who is some sort of anti-Fascist and anti-Nazi partisan, and who somehow gets trained at an allied boot camp)
I am suspecting that the protagonist was English, and that this is an English movie. Hearing air raid sirens but then ignoring them to keep making out with your girl sounds like a very English thing to do. Also telling your sergeant you don't know how to use a gun.
I think there is a possibility that the protagonist was with the Special Operations Executive, which would have had secret missions that would have involved things like sneaking up on German guards with a knife. Or maybe he was just a regular soldier who went off on his own to save this nurse.
Or, it could be an American who gets stationed in the UK, maybe meets an English nurse, then goes into Europe on D-Day.
The English are rather obsessed with World War II, they make tons of movies and documentaries about it.
I've been leaning towards spy/Resistance member, too. The spies did get training in England before they parachuted into Axis territories.

I'd add French or Norwegian to the possible candidates - lesser chance of Denmark or Netherlands. All would be in England for training, too. Italy was occupied by Germany following their surrender - it could be an Italian movie - bombing could be before or after surrender by Americans or Germans.

Max Manus: Man of War (2008) fits quite a bit. He was trained in England. He did fight in Finland first against the Russians. He did escape from a hospital, but he jumped through a window and didn't kill a sentry then.

I don't remember a love interest or a bombing scene, but it's been years since I've seen it.

I don't believe your movie is:
Flame & Citron
Soldier of Orange

Thank you everyone for the input. I have checked all of the suggestions. Unfortunately, I haven't found the movie I'm looking for. However, I like the idea of the character being part of "Special Operations Executive". To be honest, I had no idea this organization ever existed, so thank you KEVP for suggesting it. I have found a bunch of movies and series with characters involved with them. I believe a good contender are the series Secret Army, but it'll be awhile to go through all of them, Secret Army has 43 episodes alone. I've also been looking at smaller nations' productions - Poland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Belgium, Norway. I'm also looking at WWII movies in general, I have found a lot that didn't know about before.

Soldier of Orange is interesting. There's a scene where the guy sees that those are German planes but kept kissing the girl because he thought they'll pass over them on their way to England but they started bombing around them and that's when they stopped kissing. In any case, the movie/series I'm looking for is newer, has better quality from what I remember. It's also missing the balcony scene. I remember that scene distinctly because when the main character was sneaking on the soldier from above, my dad and my sister said that he'll jump and my mom and I said that he'll simply drop the knife/bayonet. He ended up jumping.

I want to apologize for mentioning the song Caruso. I believe I got confused with the TV mini-series The Fortunate Pilgrim (Italian: Mamma Lucia) with Sophia Loren in the main role. They used the Luciano Pavarotti version of the song and it has nothing to do with the WWII movie.

It cannot be Max Manus since this movie is from 2008, although I did check it out, it looks exciting. I went to college abroad in 2005, so it can't be any movie made after June 2005.

Thank you everyone, I'll keep looking and give an update later.