I ♥ Lizabeth Scott, Great Siren of Noir

Tools    

I am a huge, slobbering fan of actress Lizabeth Scott.

She had a relatively brief and some might even argue minor film career in the 1940s and '50s, but to me she'll always remain one of my favorite movie stars and is, I think, the quintessential classic Noir dame.

A strikingly beautiful blonde with a husky voice, she was a model and stage understudy when she was discovered by producer Hal Wallis after he left Warner Brothers to become an independent producer, with his pictures distributed mostly through Paramount. After co-starring in a small drama with Robert Cummings, You Came Along (1945) directed by John Farrow and co-scripted by Ayn Rand of all people, she made her mark in her second film, a higlighted supporting role in The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946, Lewis Milestone), a Noirish melodrama starring Barbara Stanwyck and Van Heflin (also notable as Kirk Douglas' big screen debut). And that success led to her real big break.

After Rita Hayworth had to back out of Dead Reckoning (1947) because her then-husband Orson Welles wanted her for The Lady from Shanghai, Lizabeth was given the lead opposite Humphrey Bogart. It's a post-War Noirish mystery, and a good one. Lizabeth is sexy and commanding on the screen, and her character is the sympathetic love interest. She more than holds her own with Bogie on screen. Her next was an oddly Technicolor Noir, Desert Fury (1947) with Burt Lancaster and Mary Astor. But again Lizabeth is basically a good girl mixed up in a bad circumstance. In I Walk Alone (1948) she's paired with Burt Lancaster again as well as Kirk Douglas (the first time Kirk and Burt worked together). Now she's stepping a bit closer to the classic Femme Fatale archetype, though not quite there yet. That year she was also in the underrated Pitfall (1948, André De Toth) where she plays a sort of unwitting Femme Fatale as the unforgettable object of desire to both married man Dick Powell as well as a sleazy P.I. played by Raymond Burr, who basically blackmails her into a sexual affair. But even then, Lizabeth's character wasn't intentionally luring these men, they were just drawn to her (I, for one, don't blame them). It's her next movie, Too Late for Tears (1949, Byron Haskin), where she assumes the mantle of Queen of Noir. Here she plays a woman capable of doing anything to get what she wants, which happens to be a suitcase full of sixty-grand in cash. Her natural beauty is turned for selfish evil, and it is delicious to watch.

Lizabeth would appear in movies other than those classified as Noir throughout the 1950s, including the Victor Mature melodrama Easy Living, the Martin & Lewis flick Scared Stiff, the Westerns Silver Lode and Red Mountain, and Elvis Presley's second movie Loving You. But while she was good in all of these, it was the dark crime pictures where she was absolutely perfect: Dark City (1950), The Racket (1951), The Company She Keeps (1951), Two of a Kind (1951) and Stolen Face (1952). She didn't appear in the best-known Noirs, but they are some of the best in terms of quality, and her performances are iconic and sexy. With her husky voice and blonde hair she has sometimes been labeled a poor man's Lauren Bacall (co-starring with Bogart in Dead Reckoning helped with that perception), but while movies such as Double Indemnity, Out of the Past and The Postman Always Rings Twice are rightfully heralded as classics of the Noir genre, for me nobody, not Stanwyck, not Lana Turner, not Veronica Lake or Rita Hayworth or Ava Gardner or anybody was ever any better than Lizabeth Scott.

Through all of her success in the Studio System, Lizabeth never became an A-List star. After gossip in the Hollywood tabloids implied she was a lesbian, in 1955 she sued Confidential Magazine for $2.5-million in libel damages. The suit was eventually thrown out on a technicality and Scott dropped the matter. But she chose to essentially retire after that incident, appearing on episodic television now and then and years later made one final screen appearance in Mike Hodges & Michael Caine's odd Get Carter follow-up, Pulp (1972) at the age of fifty, but nothing since then. Lizabeth never married and has never said whether or not the '50s rumors about her sexuality were true, and honestly it doesn't matter in the slightest. She's still with us, turned eighty-five this year, but generally hasn't done much in the way of public appearances the past forty years. Anytime I want to curl up with her, I just pop Dead Reckoning or Too Late for Tears into the DVD player and she's mine, all mine!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Liz1.jpg
Views:	5237
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	19920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ivers.jpg
Views:	3808
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	19921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Liz2.jpg
Views:	3992
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	19922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Liz4.jpg
Views:	4878
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	19923   Click image for larger version

Name:	loving you.jpg
Views:	4513
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	19924  

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You haven't salivated all over her before here? Yowza! No wonder you wanted to stay home tonight and not go see that movie. You wanted to hang with your Real (aka Reel) Girl

Great write-up, Holden.

A system of cells interlinked
Great stuff. I just moved both Dead Reckoning and Too Late For Tears to the top of my queue...

I must have seen Lizabeth in Scared Stiff when I was a kid, as I saw all of the Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis movies multiple times from the ages of seven to twelve (and all the Abbott & Costellos and Hope & Crosbys, too). But she didn't imprint on me back then. Probably because I hadn't yet hit puberty in full stride yet. When I saw Dead Reckoning when I was fifteen or so, going through an early phase of burgeoning film mania where I was renting everything and anything that Bogart was in, as soon as she hit the screen I thought, 'Who is this super sexy babe, and how come I haven't heard of her? Surely she must have been a big star.' Or so I thought. Then I had to hunt for those handful of movies she was actually in. She could play innocent or heartless, sultry or sweet.

I've had a cinematic crush thing for her ever since.

Attachments

Name:	Liz3.jpg
Views:	3484
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	19925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Liz.jpg
Views:	3562
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	19930  

Put me in your pocket...
With her husky voice and blonde hair she has sometimes been labeled a poor man's Lauren Bacall (co-starring with Bogart in Dead Reckoning helped with that perception),
Nice thread Holden. I've only seen Liz in Dead Reckoning. I have to admit, I'm among those who thought she seemed like a 'B' rated Lauren Becall. Their similarites are pretty striking in their appearance, voices and they way they carry themselves. After reading through your thread I'll have to check out a few more of her movies.

I'm going to do reviews for some of my favorite Lizabeth Scott flicks here...

Stolen Face
1952, Terence Fisher

The British Hammer Studios, famous for their striking and graphic Horror movies of the '50s and '60s, also dabbled in the Noir genre. One of the better entries has Lizabeth Scott in a dual role. Paul Henreid (Casablanca, Now, Voyager) stars a gifted plastic surgeon who falls in love with a concert pianist (Scott) while on vacation. They have a passionate tryst, but she's not willing to leave her fiancé for him. He goes home, distraught and obsessed. An opportunity walks in his door when a female ex-con wants massive reconstructive surgery so she can start a new life. He of course remakes her in his unattainable love's image, then he marries her. But things get complicated when the real love comes back into the picture and decides she will choose him after all, leaving him with an extra Lizabeth Scott...and the second one ain't gonna go quietly (plus she hasn't exactly reformed her criminal ways).

It foreshadows the themes of Hitchcock's Vertigo (1958) a bit as well as harkening back to Anthony Mann's underseen Strange Impersonation (1946). A great if absolutely preposterous set-up, a decent resolution, and Scott is terrific as both women with the same face - the "good" one and the "bad" one. Two Lizabeth Scott's to choose from, what's a body to do? My own solution would have been a bottle of vodka, some sexy music, and the greatest Ménage ŕ Trois ever.

GRADE: B

Although no Claire Trevor or Gloria Grahame, Lizabeth Scott was good in films noir. But although she was a much better actress than Veronica Lake, I still sometimes confuse the two because of the long blonde hair.

I started this thread back in early December, just before I decided to move across town and abruptly uproot myself. Time to get back to it!

Desert Fury
1947, Lewis Allen

An odd amalgamation of a Noir, a Melodrama, and a Western, all in glorious Technicolor! The three genres blend together at times, but too often they play against each other. Had the material been refined in one direction or another it may have made a better overall film, but as a B picture of the day you can certainly do worse.

Lizabeth is terrific starring as Paula, the "bad girl" in her small Nevada town that the proper ladies talk about behind her back when she drives down the street in her convertible. This despite the efforts of her mother Fritzie, played by Mary Astor (The Maltese Falcon), who is an influential woman in the State, running a popular gambling house in town - but she wants straight respectability for her daughter. Paula has a chance to go that way, as the town's straight arrow lawman Tom (Burt Lancaster) is sweet on her. Unfortunately she's drawn to the darker side, represented by slick gambler Eddie Bendix (John Hodiak), someone her mother is dead-set against...especially as Eddie once had a torrid affair with Fritzie, herself. Wendell Corey, in his film debut, plays another hood, Eddie's friend and cohort who tries to keep the hot-headed Eddie out of trouble; trouble with the coppers, and trouble with Dames. But maybe he's sick and tired of helping Eddie and taking lumps for him? And what happened to Eddie's previous girlfriend on that bridge outside of town they keep alluding to? Will Paula find out the truth in time? Will her love for him blind her? Will his love for her protect her?

It's a lot of plot crammed into ninety-some minutes, but it all wraps up neatly in the last couple reels, maybe even too neatly? The cast elevates it all a bit, except for Hodiak who is the one weak link (and unfortunately has the second largest role), and Lancaster is his usual watchable self but given precious little to do as the good guy. Hodiak, who was married to Anne Baxter off-screen, was a contract player at MGM for fifteen years or so but never made it out of the Bs, sort of a poor man's Tyrone Power, a job which Robert Taylor had covered (Taylor and Hodiak both later appear in a minor Noir The Bribe that became the spine of the clever Steve Martin movie Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid). Other than Lizabeth, it is really Wendell Corey who steals the picture, and it is a reminder of why he was such a valuable character actor in his day.

For my taste Desert Fury slips into Melodrama too often, and if it had been a little sexier, a bit tighter, and allowed to be darker it might have become a Noir classic. As is it's a "color Noir" footnote, but still a nice diversion...especially for us Lizabeth Scott fans.

GRADE: C+

]

Attachments

Name:	Desert.jpg
Views:	3690
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	19928  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Thanks for that, Holds. It's been forever since I watched it. I probably am a bit harsher than you though because even raising my rating from what I gave it previously, I'd probably give it a C- (
). I'd still like to rewatch it, especially since it pobably looks a lot better than it did back in the day and it does have a solid cast.

Originally Posted by mark f
Thanks for that, Holds. It's been forever since I watched it. I probably am a bit harsher than you though because even raising my rating from what I gave it previously, I'd probably give it a C- (
). I'd still like to rewatch it, especially since it pobably looks a lot better than it did back in the day and it does have a solid cast.
No, I'm probably overrating it a bit. But it is because of that cast. Not just my Lizabeth, but Mary Astor and Wendell Corey in particular have some great bits. Corey steals just about every scene he's in, and it's the turn his character makes in the third act that makes the plot go and sets up the exciting finale.

But it's hard to grade B-movies. You kinda have to use a sliding scale. I mean when you see Desert Fury was released the same year as Tourneur's Out of the Past, Carol Reed's Odd Man Out, Delmer Daves' Dark Passage, Dmytryk's Crossfire, Hathaway's Kiss of Death and the aforementioned Dead Reckoning with Bogie and Lizabeth, it's difficult to rate a true B like this one very highly...but damn if it isn't entertaining, just the same.

For those in the U.S., if you want to catch a few Lizabeth Scott flicks set your DVRs to Turner Classic Movies tomorrow night, part of a run of movies directed by John Cromwell (Blacklisted in the 1950s and the father of actor James Cromwell).

All times Eastern...
  • 9:15PM
    The Racket
  • 11:00PM
    Dead Reckoning
  • 12:45PM
    The Company She Keeps

All good people are asleep and dreaming.

It's the evil eyes and pouty lips.

Happy eighty-eighth birthday to Lizabeth!

Which reminds me, I have to resurrect this thread and fill it with more reviews of her movies. Especially since a few more have recently been released on R1 DVD: Dark City (1950), Two of a Kind (1951) and Bad for Each Other (1953).

Attachments

Name:	lizz.jpg
Views:	6183
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	19931  

Through all of her success, Lizabeth never became an A-list star. After gossip in the Hollywood tabloids implied she was a lesbian, in 1955 she sued Confidential Magazine for $2.5-million in libel damages.
She wanted $2.5 million dollars for being called a lesbian? I would have wanted $40 million.

Ah, the 1950's.

Semper Fooey
For some reason the less attractive character actresses were more open about their preferences than the leading ladies. Marjorie Main, Patsy Kelly, Nancy Kulp and one or two others were pretty open about it, but probably no one was paying much attention to them. The gossip magazines weren't interested in their love life.

Semper Fooey
It doesn't get mentioned very often, but one of her very best is Pitfall co-starring Dick Powell, a somewhat more realistic film noir with a more nuanced femme fetale. Somewhat similar to Woman in the Window without the cheat ending.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
bump...

Several of her films are currently on Netflix streaming which has a rotating door of what's available and what isn't. I just watched I Walk Alone which I very much enjoyed.

I Walk Alone (1948, Byron Haskin)

Burt Lancaster plays an ex-con who has been locked up 14 years after his partner, Kirk Douglas, left him the fall guy while bootlegging. Douglas becomes a wealthy and successful nightclub owner, and Lancaster wants his promised cut of the profits. That's the setup for this solid little film noir co-starring the exquisite and uniquely warm Lizabeth Scott. Scott's very good here, playing against the typical film noir femme fatal type as she aligns herself with the good guy and in doing so develops a nice romance subplot. Of course Lancaster is not, in my mind, much of a romantic lead, but that's OK.
I always enjoy these little revenge/falling out movies. It's similar to the material in one of my favorite films, The One Eyed Jacks. A smart screenplay avoids a lot of gunplay until all other avenues have been dried up and it's unique to find a lot of legal talk in these film noirs where the villain draws his lawyers and contracts before his Smith and Wesson. Douglas is excellent as the smooth and level headed heavy, playing opposite of the emotional firecracker of Burt Lancaster. The two have excellent chemistry together. I really enjoyed this movie and as of this posting it's on Netflix streaming so go watch it.

Grade: A-

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201