Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

Good movie.

Few Hopkins films left that I haven’t seen.
Lovely movie.

Well this is certainly, ahem, different. Quite a strange film, and the eventual denouement is very predictable, but it really is very disturbing and lingers.

Finally. Big screen, of course.

Well. I unexpectedly hated that. Can’t recall the last time I hated something so much. It’s not that I don’t appreciate what it was trying to do; but the body horror felt very, excuse the pun, plastic? I feel like this took the wrong lessons from Cronenberg and Possession (one of my favourite movies, which almost feels tarnished by association). Anyway.
I love satire, but my kind of satire is something like Fight Club and Choke, whereas this just felt absurd and, towards the end, lazy. To be fair, the entire cinema laughed hysterically towards the end, but I doubt this was what the film was going for; it was more like perplexed, hysterical giggles. A guy next to me had his head in his hands.
Quite apart from all that, I thought the sci-fi side of things/the ‘world building’ was really inconsistent.
WARNING: spoilers below
Initially I thought the two selves couldn’t exist at the same time; hence the big deal about switching. But if, as it appears towards the end when the two selves fight each other, and was referenced in The Cut review, the two selves can coexist awake, then it’s even more confusing and inconsistent, because what does the ‘original self’ get in this scenario, exactly? Enabling a younger separate self to have fun while she herself suffers at home? What’s the logic/rationale behind making that bargain? IMO this only makes sense if the original self isn’t awake to see the other self partying; and if the younger self can presumably gain weight from the food the older self obsessively cooks, then surely the older self can feel the residue from the partying (if only hangover?).

It also didn’t help that Demi Moore was made to look significantly worse than she actually does in everyday life. I get that this is done to enhance the contrast between the two, but it’s still a very bizarre decision. Whatever was done to her lips (some kind of botched filler vibe?) jars with the idea that she’s a former Hollywood mega-star (which in itself jars with the idea she was until recently the face of a fitness show). Very confusing. But poor Jane Fonda! This was definitely aimed at her.

Mr & Mrs Smith the 2005 movie with Brad Pitt and Anjelina Jolie. Id never seen it before now. Entertaining because I wasnt taking it seriously. I had to put myself in a MARVEL studios, specifically Deadpool, frame of mind the action was so ridiculously unrealistic.
Now Im going to start The Menu with Ralph Fiennes.

Mr & Mrs Smith the 2005 movie with Brad Pitt and Anjelina Jolie. Id never seen it before now. Entertaining because I wasnt taking it seriously. I had to put myself in a MARVEL studios, specifically Deadpool, frame of mind the action was so ridiculously unrealistic.
Now Im going to start The Menu with Ralph Fiennes.
The Menu was a good kind of weird imo.