The MoFo Top 100 Musicals Countdown

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I had Begin Again at 3. It's one of the best movies I've seen in a long time this year and I've already watched it twice. Thank you to the other voter who got it into this list!

I also had the West Side Story remake at 14. I really dug it.

My List

3. Begin Again
4. Tick Tick Boom
14. West Side Story (2021)
25. Brave Little Toaster

Trouble with a capital "T"
Haven't seen either of today's musical reveals. Mildly interested in Spielberg's West Side Story just so I can compare it to the original 1961 version.

It seems like this was the only time we got a remake to make a countdown list, even though the original will make the list too. Can anyone clarify that if it's happened on another countdown before.

When a remake makes the list with the original movie.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Haven't seen the remake of West Side Story because, to be honest, I haven't seen the original all the way through. Although I have seen the major plot points at different times to know what happens to all the main characters. One day I will sit down and watch the entire thing without interruption. Also, I didn't like the idea of Spielberg filming a remake of a classic musical when there were so many remakes out there, and I think Spielberg can do unique, original films better (although I did like Always, his remake of A Guy Named Joe). Also, the original WSS was directed by Robert Wise, a director whose films I really love, so there was that also.

Begin Again is a fine film and I need to rewatch it again but I loved it the only time I've seen it. It didn't even cross my mind when this countdown came up.

So far:
#1. On the Town
#25. Neptune's Daughter (one-pointer)

Obviously a guy like Steven Spielberg behind the camera will make for a great looking movie and all, but overall I didn’t care much for the West Side Story remake.

A lot of flair and big arm movements but the story wasn’t that interesting really… I like the original more because at least it feels more original…

I actually really enjoyed Begin Again and thought it was a very solid music film. But a musical in the traditional sense, it is not. And I kept my list a musical list by the more classic definition of the genre.

But a good film nonetheless and cool to see it made it. Raul is happy I take it even though I didn’t help him here.

It seems like this was the only time we got a remake to make a countdown list, even though the original will make the list too. Can anyone clarify that if it's happened on another countdown before.

Both versions of 3:10 to Yuma made the Westerns List. The 2007 version ranked higher at #29 while the 1957 version was #48.

There's a few on the horror and Sci-Fi lists, and it's probably happened somewhere else as well.

I owe the other person who voted for it a beer.
I'll have a triple IPA, with an IBU above 80 if possible .

My list:
8. Begin Again (2013)

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Is LaLa Land really that popular around here?
Yeah I think it is. I liked it a lot and rate it an A- some really cool stuff and a spectacular ending which is an homage and ode to An American in Paris. It's also a very flawed film with some poor pacing, cringe moments, and horrible staging of musical numbers. It's also heartfelt and a love letter to the Golden Age of Hollywood and people following their dreams. Moviewise on youtube does a great job an analyzing the film.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Like many of you, I'm not much of a musical fan and the placement of my votes reflects that more than enthusiasm for the movies on my list.

Rocketman makes it for Taron Egerton's performance (singing included) and for an original approach to the biopic that doesn't involve turning its subject into a CG chimp. I still think it's funny that they used Elton John's songs to tell his life story when he didn't write the lyrics.

The original West Side Story was never going to come anywhere near my ballot, but I'm a Spielberg fan and the visuals and supporting cast greatly boosted my enjoyment of this one.

7. The Smiling Lieutenant (1931)
12. West Side Story (2021)
16. Rocketman (2019)
25. Commentary! The Musical (2008)

MoFo's mostly hate bio pics, mostly.
Yep. Count me in that crowd. Biopics can be great if done right - Mank, Ed Wood, Lawrence of Arabia, Amadeus and so on. But most biopics are just meh formulaic Oscar Bait stuff that's passable but ultimately empty... stuff like Walk the Line and Ray.

I'm afraid West Side Story felt more like an exercise in Spielberg ticking the "I've directed a musical" box than a deeply felt film. At least he knows where to put the cameras.
Yeah, I have zero interest. There's only one West Side Story. I would have as much enthusiasm and interest watching the remake of it as I would one of Singin' in the Rain. Some great films just are not in need of remakes.

Cinderella (1965) is on my list. I saw it over and over again as a kid. Like The Wizard of Oz it played on tv once a year. Lesley Ann Warren is so lovely and charming as Cinderella and the wicked step-sisters are hilarious.

I have seen The Meaning of Life, tick, tick...Boom!, Amadeus, The Smiling Lieutenant, Walk the Line, On the Town, Tommy, and Rocketman. I haven't seen many of the newer musicals. On The Town should have been on my list, but my fat thumbs submitted it after I had only made 19 choices. I was going to move the ones I did make around as well before I submitted, but...c'est la vie. I could have aggravated my way into changing my ballot but I thought better of it.

Aside of the ones already mentioned, both versions of All Quiet on the Western Front made it on the War countdown

A couple more from the Horror Countdown...

Both versions of Invasion of the Body Snatchers made it..

Both Nosferatu and Nosferatu: The Vampyre made it.

Both La Jetee and 12 Monkeys made it into the Sci-Fi countdown.

Both Infernal Affairs and The Departed made it into the Neo-noir countdown.

Victim of The Night
Oh thank god, for a second I thought that was the real West Side Story all the way down at 90 and I almost died.