Have had this on my list for some time, and finally got around to it. I didn’t find any other thread on it, but apologies if that exists.

I’m loving it, but occasionally, it’s hard to gauge the intended (!) tone. I suppose one never quite knows authorial intent, of course, but I feel like there’s got to be a way one is meant to perceive this (I see it described as a ‘comedy’ on a few websites, which sort of fits, but then it’s also quite sad).

I feel a great deal of contempt towards the ‘you missed the point by idolising these characters starter pack’ meme, because I find it to be arrogant, but I also feel like there are ways to read a film/show entirely wrong, and I feel like maybe that’s what I’m doing with Patriot. And I say that as a lifelong lover of all things surrealism. Even The Leftovers never baffled me anywhere near this much.

For instance, how are we supposed to interpret the fact that
WARNING: spoilers below
John’s songs narrate every single thing that happens to him, to the point of absurdity, even the ‘top secret’ stuff? Does he have a form of Tourette’s, or are we meant to see this as satire?

What on Earth did others think? Would love some perspective.