Yoda Reviews Baseball Movies

→ in
Tools    

42 (2013)

In a sentence: The story of Jackie Robinson, the first black player in Major League Baseball.

My favorite part of the Jackie Robinson story has always been how pragmatically it unfolded. It's the closest thing sports has to a fairy tale, and because of that it has a Hallmarkian quality, a Vaseline-smudged-on-the-lens feeling in its recounting. This is true of many historical events, but this one happened just late enough, and was just well-documented enough, that we can see the distinctions between the legend and the messy, realpolitik way it happened.

This was not the story of some perfect golden boy destined to break the color barrier. It's a story of calculation, anger, and steely resolve. We have a way of looking back on righteous causes as if they were inevitable, destined to succeed. We give D-Day the same treatment, but this operation, like that one, was the result of incessant planning and consideration.

The first thing to understand about breaking baseball's color barrier is this: good enough wasn't good enough. There were many Negro League players with the skill and talent to excel in the majors, and many more good enough to at least contribute. Unfortunately, we'll never know exactly how many. But most of them would've been poor candidates to become the first over the wall. Caesar's Wife must be beyond reproach, and the first black ballplayer in the majors must not only belong there on merit, but clearly belong there. He must be undeniably contributing to the team's chances of winning, and he must rise above the resistance he'll meet with grace and dignity.

All potentially legitimate objections must be eradicated, so that only the illegitimate remain. This is how you break barriers, by denying bigotry anything with which to cover itself. His being black must be the only thing people object to. It must be an isolated variable.

That's how you get Robinson. Tremendous fielder, great hitter, superb baserunner. And then all the things that aren't about baseball: a young man, about to be married. A veteran. Instances of civil disobedience...but not too much. Just enough to let them know he's a fighter, but the kind that can pull his punches.

Oh, who's "them"? Among others, Branch Rickey. Most of the specifics of how this unfolded were not inevitable, could have been otherwise, but it's hard to imagine anyone other than Rickey orchestrating this. He was and is widely recognized as one of the shrewdest and gutsiest general managers in baseball history. The kind of guy that's smarter than others, and knows it.

He bonds with Robinson over the fact that they're both Methodists, a commonality which transcends their race and which he draws on for personal strength; to power his fiery rebuke of others, and to buttress Robinson in his darkest moments. A lesser, made-for-TV-style film would've made Rickey a footnote, but 42 is smarter than that. In the same way Robinson, as a player and person, had to be beyond reproach, only a general manager as respected and established as Rickey was in a position to finally do what needed to be done.

One thing 42 has to contend with is the formulaic nature of these things, sometimes from reality itself and sometimes made inevitable by the mere act of retelling. Even if you've never heard this story, you can probably imagine most of the beats. People will be mad and not want to give him a chance. He'll be good anyway. He'll suffer adversity. At least one opposing player or manager will goad him. Some of his teammates will shun him, others will rally around, and at least one will start in the former camp and end up in the latter, won over by his bravery and/or skill and/or status as the protagonist. And yeah, all that happens.

But a lot of it's just...what happened. There's one moment in particular (that I believe the film changed the sequencing of for narrative purposes) that seems made up, where star shortstop Pee Wee Reese (you've gotta love old-timey baseball names) comes out and stands next to Robinson on the field as he's met with boos. This, famously, actually took place, even though it seems contrived to the point of being emotionally manipulative. But that's the thing about stories, isn't it? To remind you that these things are possible. We've come full circle: amazing things happen, people tell stories about them, people keep telling stories to remind you they can happen again...and then they happen again, in part because the people responsible grew up on those stories.

42 doesn't break any new ground, even though 42 did. It is predictable and formulaic in the best way. Some kid is going to see this and persevere through something. Another kid is going to see it and realize how important it is to stand by people through their trials. And the cycle begins anew.

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."

How's the Baseball?

Very good. Yes, we still have a child explaining to his mother why such-and-such happened. We still need surrogates like that explaining to the audience anything remotely subtle about the game, a surefire signal that the film has aspirations that its audience will expand well beyond fans. But it's rare, and it excellently represents the speed and violence of the game. Slides are dirty and hard. The ball whizzes into the batter's box, buzzes in on throws from the outfield. It flies off the bat. In the way a good racing film conveys the speed of the cars, 42 conveys the speed of the game. And how vulnerable you are standing in that batter's box.

Do They Win?

The question hardly makes sense in this context (what fool wrote it?), but: yes. The Dodgers win the pennant, Jackie Robinson perseveres and is honored, not just now, not just much later, but in shocking proximity to the tribulations he went through. He is inducted into the Hall of Fame, wins an award created essentially for him (Rookie of the Year), and is the only player in MLB history to have his number retired leaguewide.

It's a real life fairy tale, after all. You know how it ends. But behind the curtain there's rope and rigging and bags of sand, and stagehands scurrying around to support the man out on the stage, the one whose job it is to suffer slings and arrows and tomatoes. And that man has to be risking something, has to have an otherwise real future, put at risk by being out there. Looking the dragon in the eye, holding a sword he never uses.

I really couldn't care less about baseball, yet a couple of my long time favorite movies are about it so I'll probably keep an eye on this thread for when they show.

So far the only movie you've reviewed that I've seen is Bull Durham, but it's been too long since I last saw it for me to comment much. About the only thing I remember is Tim Robbins in a garter belt.

What the F***?!!!
People hated my rating of The Natural, too, but the ratings themselves are judging these as Movies, not as Baseball Movies. How well they work as Baseball Movies is usually in the review proper.

One thing about Bull Durham is that it kinda peters out. Some of the scenes at the end go on way too long, and they do that weird 80s thing where all the love scenes are twice as long as necessary for some reason.

I really couldn't care less about baseball, yet a couple of my long time favorite movies are about it so I'll probably keep an eye on this thread for when they show.
It'd be perfectly cool for you to list them, if you wanted. Lots of people in here already saying they hope such-and-such makes it.

It'd be perfectly cool for you to list them, if you wanted. Lots of people in here already saying they hope such-and-such makes it.
The two that leap to mind are The Sandlot and A League of Their Own.

This is how you break barriers, by denying bigotry anything with which to cover itself.
The pressure that this puts on people attempting to break those barriers cannot be overstated. To know that you must be perfect where someone else----by virtue of some demographic element---can get away with mediocrity, is a weight I can't even imagine.

There are a lot of great books about Robinson's story, but I have one in my classroom called We Are the Ship that I think is really excellent. It's about the whole history of the Negro Leagues, and goes up through the 1940s.

Victim of The Night
People hated my rating of The Natural, too, but the ratings themselves are judging these as Movies, not as Baseball Movies. How well they work as Baseball Movies is usually in the review proper.

One thing about Bull Durham is that it kinda peters out. Some of the scenes at the end go on way too long, and they do that weird 80s thing where all the love scenes are twice as long as necessary for some reason.
But that's my point. It is not only, arguably, the best Baseball Movie, it is also a very good movie about human beings. It is a good romance. It is a good comedy. It has actual depth to it, not just the name-checks of famous poets and philosophers but a certain examination of the conflict between aspiration and real-life. I consider it to be a film that speaks more deeply than something like Field Of Dreams (which I do love for what that movie is) about life itself. Real life, the life most people actually have to live.

But that's my point. It is not only, arguably, the best Baseball Movie, it is also a very good movie about human beings. It is a good romance. It is a good comedy. It has actual depth to it, not just the name-checks of famous poets and philosophers but a certain examination of the conflict between aspiration and real-life. I consider it to be a film that speaks more deeply than something like Field Of Dreams (which I do love for what that movie is) about life itself. Real life, the life most people actually have to live.
Serious question: are you reacting to the review, or just the rating? I wonder if I should dispense with ratings altogether, now that I think about it, regardless of your answer.

Anyway, Bull Durham has plenty to recommend it, and I detailed a lot of it in the review. The grittiness, the way it shines a light on the underbelly of the minor leagues, or at least the way they were at the time. But as a movie I think it drags, and I don't find it as funny as most. I more appreciate the jokes than I actually laugh at them. Probably because there's a lot of outrageousness-as-humor, which doesn't usually land with me.

But I can tell I've stumbled on a superfan, given that you're aghast at me giving it only an above-average rating.

Always do the ratings. We must or we will become soft. If we can't handle such a trivial disagreement then just burn this mutha to the ground.

I think everyone can handle it, it's more just about whether they use them as a replacement for the review itself. They're relatively unimportant in the broad scheme of things.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
On the same page again with 42. It’s overly melodramatic, but it’s the kind of melodrama I enjoy. If it had came out when I was in my teens it probably would have been a favorite. The scene you described with Pee Wee was the one i was going to bring up as well. It encompasses the movie really well. It gets to me despite my brain knowing I am being manipulated. I have a soft spot whenever that actor pops up too, because of my love for Sling Blade.

#JusticeForHamilton

My Top 9 Baseball Movies:

1. Eight Men Out (1988)
2. Bull Durham (1988)
3. Sugar (2008)
4. The Bad News Bears (1976)
5. Moneyball (2011)
6. Field of Dreams (1989)
7. A League of Their Own (1992)
8. The Natural (1984)
9. The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings (1976)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Eight Men Out was a favorite of mine as a teen. I rewatched it a couple years ago for the first time in probably twenty years and it didn’t exactly hold up for me. I still liked it but was definitely disappointed it didn’t hit as hard as I remembered. Good shout out. Hopefully Yoda will review it.

Victim of The Night
Serious question: are you reacting to the review, or just the rating? I wonder if I should dispense with ratings altogether, now that I think about it, regardless of your answer.

Anyway, Bull Durham has plenty to recommend it, and I detailed a lot of it in the review. The grittiness, the way it shines a light on the underbelly of the minor leagues, or at least the way they were at the time. But as a movie I think it drags, and I don't find it as funny as most. I more appreciate the jokes than I actually laugh at them. Probably because there's a lot of outrageousness-as-humor, which doesn't usually land with me.

But I can tell I've stumbled on a superfan, given that you're aghast at me giving it only an above-average rating.
Both. I will concede that review seems far more positive than your rating but I took that as a reflection that you were being kind because ultimately you felt it was merely a 3-star film, on the same level, apparently, as Jackass 3D and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. So yes, I am reacting to that somewhat.

And yes, I (and everyone I know in real life) consider it a Timeless Classic. Hence my surprise.
Maybe it's a generational thing.

Both. I will concede that review seems far more positive than your rating but I took that as a reflection that you were being kind because ultimately you felt it was merely a 3-star film, on the same level, apparently, as Jackass 3D and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. So yes, I am reacting to that somewhat.
I might be a little idiosyncratic here, but I don't think of ratings as summaries of reviews. I think of them as another measure entirely. Specifically, I try to rate things based on how well they achieve what they're trying to achieve, and only deviate from that in exceptional circumstances. In a vacuum Bull Durham is a much better movie than Jackass 3D, but whether it's a better version of itself is tougher to say.

And yes, I (and everyone I know in real life) consider it a Timeless Classic. Hence my surprise.
Maybe it's a generational thing.
I think that's a pretty good guess. I "found" it quite late, after having seen lots of other baseball movies. For example, I'd probably seen Major League (which obviously owes it quite a debt) a dozen times before I ever saw Bull Durham, which is one of the reasons I led with the bit about influential films and how we see the things they influenced before we see the source. To me Major League was just as fresh, in the baseball-but-for-grown-ups sense, because I'd never seen a movie like that before. And I find it funnier and more moving. Would I still find it as fresh and delightful, comparatively, if I'd seen the films chronologically? I'll never know.

ultimately you felt it was merely a 3-star film, on the same level, apparently, as Jackass 3D and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. .
I love doing star ratings because they are a nice barometer, but this sentence right here is why I sometimes think I want to do away with them. There are lots of factors that go into rating a movie. Sometimes you appreciate them on a craft level, sometimes on an entertainment level, sometimes on a thematic level. The ones that hit all those sweet spots are the ones we usually give 5’s to.

I say that to say every time I give out a 3, it doesn’t mean that I think it’s the same exact movie as every 3 I have given out. It’s how it hits me at the time I am watching it. I think most people HAVE to approach it this way, even if they don’t realize it. It’s inevitable when you have thousands of movies doing multiple different things, even within the same movie, and we have 10 different ratings in a 5 star system.

Plus, you shouldn’t have brought up 1 star movies as your example as 3s. So there’s that.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I haven't seen any of these well known baseball movies. Actually I've never even seen a baseball game So I can't really comment on Yoda's ratings directly but I do have a question for Yoda. Is a
an average movie or above average in your mind? I ask because I think us MoFos sometimes view the popcorn ratings differently than the next person.