The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TOMORROW! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Shutter Island. Drs intentions? SPOILERS

Tools    

Just joined. First post. Bear with me.

So, in the movie shutter island, my understanding is that the protagonist, Andrew laedis murdered his wife (justifiably imo because she took his children) but couldn’t live with this reality so he created a false reality as officer Teddy Daniels.

The entire movie is an attempt to bring him back to reality, which I believe they accomplish in the end, but he chooses to get a lobotomy instead of living as a monster.

My question is what did the doctors have in mind by bringing him back to reality? Am I supposed 2 believe that eventually through treatment he would be able to return to society? Even if he was fully cured and not really violent because it was a crime of passion, the label of criminally insane is hard 2 shake once it’s in place. He will never have a normal life, but now he is aware of that, instead of in his blissful delusion. Or is the argument that even the worst of all possible reality’s is better than even the best delusion?

Interested in your thoughts.

I never watched it but I heard he got mauled by a bear and that would surely mess with your head.