Welcome To Our Nightmare III: Terror, Wooley... and TAKOMA!

Tools    

Victim of The Night

We're baaa-aaack...

...and better than ever, baby!
'Cuz we found there was room for one more on this train...

...so we are thrilled and honored to welcome Takoma11 as our Partner In Evil (we're really not that bad) and our newest Ghost Host. Because three is a magic number.

We'll be joining forces (of Evil) to ring in the best time of year and frolic with you all through the Spooky Season. That means all manner of Halloween goodies from eerie imagery to macabre music to hair-raising reviews. And, as always, please feel free to...

...everyone is welcome to chime in or contribute anything that raises their hackles.
So let's get going!

And remember as always, tonight and every night in October...

'Cuz we found there was room for one more on this train...

I have always known in my heart that I'm a teenage boy with a messenger bag wearing pumpkin tones.

Victim of The Night
I have always known in my heart that I'm a teenage boy with a messenger bag wearing pumpkin tones.
Ha! Sorry, best I could do throwing it together so quickly. But you're The Ghost.

Captain Terror (as GI Joe), wishes everyone a happy October! Let's do this!
You were a very cute GI Joe!

Victim of The Night
It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am not a big man. I am a witch, at least this month. And witches admit when they're wrong.

I have repeatedly declared this The Worst Slasher Ever Made (and I’ve seen a lot of ‘em) but it has a lotta fans and I promised some folk around here I would re-watch it and give an updated opinion. I've been saying that for years and haven't done it. Because who wants to re-watch The Worst Slasher Ever Made. To be honest, halfway through the movie, it was already above the 50th percentile and all it had to do was not blow it somewhere along the way. Which is what I thought happened last time. But I was wrong.

It’s really pretty good. I was reminded about what Hollywood has totally ****ed up about movies in the last, say, decade or so: If you care about the characters you’re invested in the movie.
This movie did a good job of giving me likable characters that I didn’t want to die. Even though I came to see them die. Like I said to a friend of mine while I was watching it, "I mean, this girl, who will be dead in the next five minutes, is just adorable, has real personality, and I like her. So her death will impact me, the audience. How f*cking hard is that?"
But there's also plenty of kills and gore, as everyone knows.

We all know about Tom Savini's gore and the way his work allows for the staging of a good kill. But kills are more than just effects, the staging is just as important if not more so and this movie does a great job of that. From this guy, to the actual first kill of the movie (a well-executed double-kill with the pitchfork that's the preferred weapon here), the pool-kill, the gruesome and intense shower-kill... there's a lot of nice work.
But there's also suspense in this film, something slashers would lose very quickly. By F13 4, suspense is kinda dead and it's all body-count and boobs. But The Prowler gives you nice, long stalks that take their time and build to the inevitable but now well-earned crescendo. The famous (to people who know the movie) pool-kill is a great example of this, it's a good buildup and payoff. And there’s a really nice scene here where The Prowler is stalking about and there are two characters who might be the stalkee... but the way it's edited, you can’t tell which one. But the long stalk of the Final Girl is really effective as well (don't worry, no spoiler, it's obvious she's the Final Girl from the beginning).

It’s a low-budget like they all were in those early days but the actors are surprisingly good and it’s been a pretty good-looking movie on the budget. It was actually all shot at this charming place in New Jersey.

Spooky!
All in all, I will just come right out and say it, I was wrong. I wondered how it happened and then I remembered two things. One was that I was underwhelmed by the killer himself. Not that he wasn't cool enough when he was stalking but when he was revealed... but it's fine, it made sense. The other was that there's a moment in the movie that I must have looked away to get some popcorn or something the first time, just long enough that I thought the movie had introduced a supernatural element that was then dropped. On re-watching it, no, it's obvious I was mistaken and I could see exactly how the mistake was made. Oh well.
So yeah, I liked The Prowler and it is no longer The Worst Slasher Ever Made.

Victim of The Night

Captain Terror (as GI Joe), wishes everyone a happy October! Let's do this!
Love it. God I remember those days. Hell, they're the reason I love Halloween.

Victim of The Night
Do you live on the east coast? Cape May isn't this picturesque any more.
The caption I'm reading says the image was from 2013 but it looks a little older than that to me, perhaps it was just digitized or whatever in 2013. I admit, there's really not much like that in America anymore.

Started my festivities with The Devil's Lover (1972). This poster severely oversells the spook factor, as this one is mostly devoid of fog and/or cobwebs. Still, there's an obligatory "roaming the house in a nightgown, candelabra in hand" scene. There's a guy in a red pointy hood that can appear and disappear at will. There is a vampire lady who appears in the middle of the film, when she interrupts a lesbian orgy, and then is never seen nor mentioned again. (?) In other words, this is about as coherent as one would expect an Italian horror film to be. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Victim of The Night

Started my festivities with The Devil's Lover (1972). This poster severely oversells the spook factor, as this one is mostly devoid of fog and/or cobwebs. Still, there's an obligatory "roaming the house in a nightgown, candelabra in hand" scene. There's a guy in a red pointy hood that can appear and disappear at will. There is a vampire lady who appears in the middle of the film, when she interrupts a lesbian orgy, and then is never seen nor mentioned again. (?) In other words, this is about as coherent as one would expect an Italian horror film to be. I wouldn't have it any other way.
No kidding, that poster kinda promises a lot. And then no fog or cobwebs?! Sheesh.

Here is my review for The Prowler. Overall, I think that I liked it more than the rating might reflect.

A system of cells interlinked
Not only have I not seen The Prowler, but I have never even heard of it. A travesty! Adding it to my watch list immediately.

Victim of The Night
Not only have I not seen The Prowler, but I have never even heard of it. A travesty! Adding it to my watch list immediately.
I want to be clear, that it is a pretty typical slasher. Nothing really "special" about it except that it looks like a lot of effort went into it and I think the directing and effects are both quite good and, as I mentioned, because they get you to like the characters, their danger matters and that drives the movie. I also tend to find that that first wave of slashers, F13 1 & 2, Terror Train, My Bloody Valentine, etc., they've just got both more grit and better execution than later slashers. Like, I like Slumber Party Massacre for what it is but overall as a movie I think The Prowler is much better.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140