The MoFo Musicals Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
It will make my list, but I am having a hard time finding 25 musicals I might like.
Me too. For now, I've completed a package of 15 I like at some level.
Just finished a very overrated famous one.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@Thursday Next, Are filmed stage plays (such as Broadway shows) eligible?

Some examples include:

Hamilton (2020)
Cats (1998)
Barnum (1986) starring Michael Crawford
Oklahoma! (1999) starring Hugh Jackman
Into the Woods (1991)
Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway (2008)
The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall (2011)
Les Miserables: The Dream Cast (1995)
Les Misérables: The Staged Concert (2019)

No.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

@Thursday Next, Are filmed stage plays (such as Broadway shows) eligible?

Some examples include:

Hamilton (2020)
Cats (1998)
Barnum (1986) starring Michael Crawford
Oklahoma! (1999) starring Hugh Jackman
Into the Woods (1991)
Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway (2008)
The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall (2011)
Les Miserables: The Dream Cast (1995)
Les Misérables: The Staged Concert (2019)

Well that's upsetting, but I guess it kind of makes sense.

But my initial list is way too big anyway, so at least it will make it easier for me to cut my list down to a more manageable number.

Has anyone watched any of the teen / glee club type of musicals, such as the High School Musical movies, the Pitch Perfect movies, Joyful Noise, etc.?

Are any of them worth watching?

Has anyone watched any of the teen / glee club type of musicals, such as the High School Musical movies, the Pitch Perfect movies, Joyful Noise, etc.?

Are any of them worth watching?
I watched the first Pitch Perfect awhile ago. Not really my kind of film, but if you enjoy films of its ilk, you'd be likely to have a good time with it. In spite of the High School Musical films being well‐watched amongst my age group, I never got to them.

I watched the first Pitch Perfect awhile ago. Not really my kind of film, but if you enjoy films of its ilk, you'd be likely to have a good time with it. In spite of the High School Musical films being well‐watched amongst my age group, I never got to them.

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't watched any of these types of movies because I don't know much about them. The only actor I know of who's in any of them is Zac Efron, and I've only seen him in the movie The Greatest Showman, (which I love).

I used to watch the TV show "Glee", but mostly for the music, not really for the story. In fact, I don't really remember much about the story at all.

Sing Street -

Some movie lovers get the most joy from seeing a good car chase. For others, it's watching a romance play out. After seeing this movie, I'm starting to wonder if watching a band form and become successful is what really does it for me. This movie joins the ranks of the best ones like it such as The Commitments and School of Rock. Like the former, of which it shares similarities beyond the very obvious, it's backed with authenticity from Dublin's dire economic situation in the 1980s to a school experience that would make even Roger Waters blush. If reading "1980s" made you sigh and think, "not again," I don't blame you, but despite the costumes, the soundtrack flush with hits from that decade and the titular band's amateur music videos, this is not mere nostalgia bait. Besides, the most joyous musical scenes feature the songs written for the movie. On that note (no pun intended), it provides one of the most believable depictions of the song crafting process I've seen in a movie. As for what inspires our hero, Conor (Walsh-Peelo) to start his venture, his desire to impress the beautiful Raphina (Boynton), it's an utterly charming romance, and when it's not so charming, the pathos is never contrived. I'm also eager to check out the other work by Jack Reynor, who plays Conor's musically gifted college dropout older brother, and hope that Mark McKenna's career thrives because I love his work as Conor's musical savant bandmate.

I tried to think of other words besides "joy" while writing this, but no other word describes its vibe better. Its joy comes from how well it conveys the joy of music in its many forms, whether it's the confidence it builds, how it brings people together despite their history and how it makes hard times from high unemployment to a broken home bearable. I would go so far to say that it’s the kind of movie that makes you remember why you enjoy watching movies in general. What's more, the joy lasts long after the movie is over because the songs are bound to be stuck in your head and/or compel you to listen to them again. Oh, and I will go so far to say that they're more likely to stick with you than the ones in that other, L.A.-based musical from 2016.

My review of Sing Street: Sing Street is a delightful, charming film featuring fantastic original songs. The characters are likeable and relatable and the performances are solid. The screenplay is interesting and sparkles with life and energy. An energetic, enjoyable film. There's enough room on my ballot to vote for it, but I hope and expect it to make the countdown.

It is on Netflix (at least in the U.S.)

My favorite short Letterboxd review of it: "Ya'll really put two La La Land songs up for best original song as if 'Drive it Like You Stole It' wasn't literally sitting right f***ing there!"