The Resident Bitch Prepares for... the Most Recent MoFo Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I agree about Chicago. I really enjoyed the songs, the lyrics are clever and interesting...but that's it. It doesn't cohere into a genuinely moving or engaging narrative. It's entirely the production design and the music, which works only because both are really good.
Totes right

Coco
(Lee Unkrich and Adrian Molina, 2017)

I have no idea how many times I've watched this movie, but every time my experience is the same: I respect the hell out of it and even really like some aspects, but I don't love it.

I think the story is really interesting and pretty unique and imaginative. The animation is absolutely gorgeous with rich detail and vibrant colors, and the story does hit some crucial emotional chords - even leaving me in tears in one particularly poignant scene. But I don't love it.

Still, this is undeniably a solid movie, is one of Pixar's better recent offerings, and is the closest they've come to making a musical. So with all those things in its favor there's no way this doesn't end up somewhere on my ballot.

Lady and the Tramp
(Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson, and Hamilton Luske, 1955)

This was my favorite Disney animated movie when I was a kid, but I've found myself not loving it near as much as an adult. I don't know if that's because I'm much less fond of dogs than I used to be or if it's just changing tastes, but this is definitely not a favorite anymore. I do still like it, though. I think the animation looks good, the story is interesting enough, the voice work is good, and there really isn't anything that I dislike about the movie, it just doesn't give me the same feelings that it used to.

As to its qualities as a musical? Eh, it barely qualifies. It only has like three songs and they're all sung by pretty minor characters (the Siamese cat song, Tony singing "Bella Notte" during the famous spaghetti scene, and the dog singing "He's a Tramp" when Lady ends up in the pound).

I was going back and forth about what to rate it and ultimately I decided to be a little generous because I think it's a very well made film and it certainly has some iconic scenes. However, I probably won't vote for it because the main characters don't sing.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I have a couple of animated musicals on my watchlist that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. I haven't seen them in years, but I remember enjoying both of them.

The first one is Cats Don't Dance (1997)

The second one might be too old, but the voices are done by Judy Garland, Robert Goulet, and Red Buttons, so it might be worth giving it a try:
Gay Purr-ee (1962)

The second one might be too old, but the voices are done by Judy Garland, Robert Goulet, and Red Buttons, so it might be worth giving it a try:
Gay Purr-ee (1962)
My sister and I watched this over and over as kids. The song "Money Cat" is really catchy. Mewsette is a very annoying "dumb blonde" stereotype protagonist, though, so be warned.