The MoFo Top 100 Musicals Countdown

→ in
Tools    

It was probably me, and I would only have said that because television movies have never, ever been eligible in any of the other previous (are we up to twenty-five of these) MoFo Lists. Apparently this one is different. Yippee?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Television movies have never, ever been eligible in any of the other previous (are we up to twenty-five of these) MoFo Lists.
You sure about that?

From the Westerns Countdown that you hosted:
[*]TV mini-series, such as "Lonesome Dove" and "The Sacketts", are not eligible. Made-for-TV projects that are feature length are fair game. Shorts are eligible.
From the Animation Countdown that I hosted:
One-off television specials and made for TV movies are eligible for voting. Examples of eligible TV specials and movies: How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Lorax (1972), It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

Trouble with a capital "T"
For what it's worth, I think Thursday Next is doing an excellent job and made the right decision to allow a broader definition of musicals. Had she been hard core and only allowed the narrowest definition of what is a musical...the number of ballots would've dropped considerable. A lot of MoFos don't care for musicals and might have boycotted the countdown or not been able to make a ballot had the rules been really tight. Each countdown is different and Thursday made the right choices to make this countdown happen.

And if a few movies make the countdown that some feel aren't musicals, well that happens with every countdown an adds to to the uniqueness, it's MoFo tradition

I agree Thursday Next is doing a good job, albeit she is worrying too much about it.
Just put your feet up and crack a couple of tinnies open Next Thursday.

Having said that I do also though think the films could be released a little big quicker! It's not an issue for me, but for real hard core musical fans I'd imagine it might be a little bit frustrating, but maybe this is how you always do it I don't know! And for all I know, maybe they enjoy the suspense and the longevity of the thread!!!

have never, ever been eligible in any of the other previous (are we up to twenty-five of these) MoFo Lists.
By the way, you think you're ever gonna re-do any of those? us newly arrived ones would like to participate but the best days are over it seems

If I had thought TV versions of musicals were available I would have seriously considered the Bette Midler version of Gypsy for my list.
That's not something you say every day.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
By the way, you think you're ever gonna re-do any of those? us newly arrived ones would like to participate but the best days are over it seems
There's been talk of refreshes. I think it will definitely happen.

The trick is not minding
Definitely the 90’s are due. We can replace certain movies such as Con Air, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, The Fifth Element and Starship Troopers with more deserving films in my opinion.

Victim of The Night

Amadeus was on my ballot at number seventeen, accounting for nine of its thirty-seven points. Miloš Forman assembles all the requisite aesthetic trappings of a grand historical costume biopic, but the universal pull of the story is a laughing imp who happens to be a genius resented by a seething mediocrity cursed with the knowledge of his own failings, anchored by F. Murray Abraham's magnificent performance. If you've somehow never watched Amadeus because you fear it is going to be a stuffy chore about an idealized historical figure you are missing out on a heck of a flick that is funny and caustic and wonderful.

HOLDEN’S BALLOT
17. Amadeus (#97)

FWIW, I think Amadeus is a great film. Great.

Victim of The Night
Also FWIW, I like the pacing the way it is. I like to savor my countdowns.

I think we need longer countdowns. 2 films per week.

Society researcher, last seen in Medici's Florence
I'm the third who had Amadeus (1984) in the ballot. It is high there at #9.

Saw it in the theatre as a schoolboy when it was released and numerous more times through the years. This film is surely among the highest achievements in the cinema. How could it be skipped.

I've tried to have a full 25-item ballot with musicals in straightforward meaning but couldn't find enough that I like. So, per the initial intention for this countdown, I broaden it to 'musicals + films about music'. (actually, only three or four movies of mine are borderline, all of the others are truly musicals)

-----

My Ballot

7. Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983) [#99]
9. Amadeus (1984) [#97]
25. The Gypsy Camp Vanishes Into the Blue (1975) [one pointer]

-----

Definitely the 90’s are due. We can replace certain movies such as Con Air, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, The Fifth Element and Starship Troopers with more deserving films in my opinion.

Stop it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Having said that I do also though think the films could be released a little big quicker! It's not an issue for me, but for real hard core musical fans I'd imagine it might be a little bit frustrating, but maybe this is how you always do it I don't know! And for all I know, maybe they enjoy the suspense and the longevity of the thread!!!

Yep, two films a day is how these countdowns are always done. Drops down to one a day for the top 10!

It'll all be over by Christmas...

I voted for these movies last time we did the countdown and they will make my ballot again.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Heh. I’m not surprised. Hoping some of those get squeezed out.
If we redo the 90s next, and I think we will, nothing technically would be squeezed out as the old 90s list will also remain on the List section. I know you weren't saying that but I wanted to clarify for the brand spankin' new MoFos.