Do you often feel nostalgic?

Tools    

This coincidentally popped up in one of my feeds just now:

Summary: the time people think is the best, in aggregate, is generally whatever year they were between 11-16. Which I think fits this theory pretty well:

It remembers certain things and not others, or, if based in youth, is specifically remembering a time where we were unaware of life's inherent messiness. It's often a desire to take our expanded minds and return them to smaller dimensions, which is obviously impossible.

Trouble with a capital "T"
This coincidentally popped up in one of my feeds just now:
Summary: the time people think is the best, in aggregate, is generally whatever year they were between 11-16. Which I think fits this theory pretty well:
That graph does seem to fit your hypothesis to a tee. Though I must be odd, because if I understand what being nostalgic about a decade entails, then I fall outside of that curve, as I would be 'nostalgic' about the 1950s, if I'm understand how other's are using that term.

You ready? You look ready.
Definitely 17-21 for me. Although, 7-8 were pretty good. Minus the death of my grandpa. But even that kinda makes me nostalgic. Damn you @Captain Steel for making this thread! It was already bad enough. Now my insides get soft every time I see this thread pop up.

EDIT: @Yoda, that study tells me kids are idiots?

As a kid he was always talking about adventures & travelling (we never went on a single trip together beyond going to the movies or the mall). Yet, decades after I went to Jamaica, he claims HE went to Jamaica and that he did all the things there that I told him I did.

He claimed we worked together at the restaurant where I got my first job at age 16 (he NEVER worked there). I was mugged during my college years - later he claimed he was mugged at that time. Basically, anything interesting or exciting that happened to anyone else became part of his personal past - I guess that's what happens when you spend most of your life after school locked in a house. I guess this was his way of having nostalgia to make up for a childhood that lacked any kind of really fond memories.
He sounds like he was a very lonely guy who had to invent memories he never had.

He sounds like he was a very lonely guy who had to invent memories he never had.
Agreed. In grammar school, his mom would lock him in the house after school on most days. I'd go talk to him through the window screen.

Agreed. In grammar school, his mom would lock him in the house after school on most days. I'd go talk to him through the window screen.
Yet - I think you did mention he’s married?

Yet - I think you did mention he’s married?
Oh yes. Things worked out relatively nicely. He's married (I was best man at his wedding) & has a child who's a teenager now. His parents still live down the street from me as I now live in what was my parents' house.

Oh yes. Things worked out relatively nicely. He's married (I was best man at his wedding) & has a child who's a teenager now. His parents still live down the street from me as I now live in what was my parents' house.
Glad to hear this.

That graph does seem to fit your hypothesis to a tee. Though I must be odd, because if I understand what being nostalgic about a decade entails, then I fall outside of that curve, as I would be 'nostalgic' about the 1950s, if I'm understand how other's are using that term.
I too have lots of nostalgia about the 1950s, mostly because I admire the way society was back then, as I was gradually coming of age.

But I had the times of my life, was most productive, and had the most fun from ages 18-30 (1962-1974).

Trouble with a capital "T"
I too have lots of nostalgia about the 1950s, mostly because I admire the way society was back then, as I was gradually coming of age.

But I had the times of my life, was most productive, and had the most fun from ages 18-30 (1962-1974).
Lots of dramatic changes in American society between those years. If you had to live in one of those times, say like an alternative reality which time frame would you choose? The Camelot early 60s years? The Summer of Love/hippie movement of 67-68. The turbulent years of late 68-69 with the self proclaimed 'death' of the hippie movement, the Manson slayings and urban unrest. Or the beginning of the end of Vietnam in the early 70s or the beginning of the disco era in 74?

I am nostalgic for the days when I was too young to experience nostalgia.

I used to feel more nostalgic than I do now. I miss those days.
All work and no fun makes Yoda an unnostalgic boy.

Is that true? I mean, memory is obviously selective, but there's a difference between reinterpreting memories and having different memories.
There's a saying which accounts for this, and it's that everyone in the same family grew up in a different family.

The range of memories of the same event, which some may have forgotten altogether, can be startling. I was recently speaking to an older sibling who had gotten nearly everything wrong about an event in which they were the vic. Luckily I was able to straighten them out with my still adorable ways.

Funny thing is, at that age when my peers were listening to the Bay City Rollers, Kiss and the Bee Gees (Disco era that is), I was discovering Doo-Wop music (because my older brothers were going through their own nostalgic period & purchasing vintage albums).

Musically, I was always about 2 decades behind. Although I skipped Disco and went right to New Wave. Rap considered as music pretty much ended my following of anything considered popular. I've been in limbo ever since.

Speaking of the Bee Gees: my first exposure to them was their Disco songs - I hated them.
Much, much later I discovered they were a brother-band from the 60's - I absolutely loved their early stuff (and still can't stand their disco songs)!

Barry: the handsome heartthrob, Robin: the class clown, Morris: the quiet one.

It's like Bloom's anxiety of influence.