The Resident Bitch Prepares for... the Most Recent MoFo Countdown

→ in
Tools    

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
This past December the Criterion Channel was featuring MGM musicals and had two excellent Gene Kelly and Judy Garland musicals - The Pirate (1948, Vincente Minnelli) and Summer Stock (1950, Charles Walters). Both of those films were excellent and well worth watching and are less viewed than some of Gene Kelly and Judy Garland's better known films. Both are a pure joy to watch.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

This past December the Criterion Channel was featuring MGM musicals and had two excellent Gene Kelly and Judy Garland musicals - The Pirate (1948, Vincente Minnelli) and Summer Stock (1950, Charles Walters). Both of those films were excellent and well worth watching and are less viewed that some of Gene Kelly and Judy Garland's better known films. Both are a pure joy to watch.
While I appreciate the suggestion, I’m going to pass. I very seriously doubt that I would find either of those to be “a pure joy to watch.”

While I appreciate the suggestion, I’m going to pass. I very seriously doubt that I would find either of those to be “a pure joy to watch.”
What criteria are you using to figure out what you'd like to watch?

This past December the Criterion Channel was featuring MGM musicals and had two excellent Gene Kelly and Judy Garland musicals - The Pirate (1948, Vincente Minnelli) and Summer Stock (1950, Charles Walters). Both of those films were excellent and well worth watching and are less viewed that some of Gene Kelly and Judy Garland's better known films. Both are a pure joy to watch.

I agree those are absolutely gorgeous movies!

It's a shame they couldn't program Minnelli's Yolanda and the Thief

What criteria are you using to figure out what you'd like to watch?
Basically just gut feeling.

But a good rule to follow for this particular countdown is that if a movie is not animated and it’s older than I am, I’m probably not going to watch it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Basically just gut feeling.

But a good rule to follow for this particular countdown is that if a movie is not animated and it’s older than I am, I’m probably not going to watch it.
And you're only as old as you feel

Too bad, those are the best musicals ever.

Too bad, those are the best musicals ever.
According to your tastes, sure.

But that's not what this thread is about. According to my tastes, the best musical ever was released in 2001, not that there's a lot of competition for that title since I hate musicals.

According to your tastes, sure.
Just to clarify, that's NOT what the limits of my taste in musicals are, not by a long shot.

But the musicals of the 40s and 50s are widely considered by film historians to be the very best ones.

I get that they're not your cup of tea, and I'm happy that there are at least some musicals that you DO enjoy - it's still better than nothing!

But the musicals of the 40s and 50s are widely considered by film historians to be the very best ones.
I really couldn't care less what film historians consider to be the best of anything.

I really couldn't care less what film historians consider to be the best of anything.
I don't care if you care.

You did ask for recommendations, though.

You did ask for recommendations, though.
Did I? I think you and I have different definitions of the word "ask."

If you have recommendations for me, you can post them here but I make no promises about watching them - especially musicals.

Asking that people post them here if they have any to offer isn't really asking. Got it.

I would say of those two (The Pirate and Summer Stock), The Pirate is more entertaining and might be better for someone who doesn't enjoy musicals. The "Nina" number is excellent and sooo delightfully scoundrel-ly and devilish, the "Be a Clown" number is just spectacular with the Nicholas Brothers, the "Mack the Black" number with Judy Garland is endlessly catchy and mesmerizing, oh and The Pirate ballet is probably Gene Kelly at his most athletic and insanely creative.

The Pirate is a silly almost parody of musicals in general and also of the Erol Flynn swashbuckling films of the prior decade to its release. The Pirate is tongue and cheek and probably every bit as "fun" if not moreso than Singin' in the Rain. It also moves at an insane breakneck pace and is entirely a kinetic push constant forward moving film. I absolutely love it and yes, spoiler alert... it's in my top 10 of the upcoming MoFo musical lists.

I'd give The Pirate a try if you can dig it up. I have no clue why it isn't more universally loved and treasured. The colors pop off the screen and the direction is great with Vincente Minnelli at the helm. I imagine it might not be taken as seriously as something like Singin' in the Rain or An American in Paris because it is a silly romp and slapstick and deals with... wait for it... pirates, so because of its subject matter it may not be seen as high brow for serious critics, but it's as well crafted as any musical ever made while charmingly poking fun of multiple film genres and conventions. I'd watch it, but it's your choice and your loss if you don't. But it's a film that is well alive in my mind and soul.

I didn't ask for anything, I gave permission.
You indicated a preference for how any recommendations be made - clearly you didn't want people to post it elsewhere, to PM you or send you a homing pigeon. When someone says "please do it in here, not some other way," that amounts to asking for something.

Can we get back on topic now? Thanks!

Also considered to be true by iluv2viddyfilms !!

I would say of those two, The Pirate is more entertaining and might be better for someone who doesn't enjoy musicals. The "Nina" number is excellent and sooo delightfully scoundrel, the "Be a Clown" number is just spectacular with the Nicholas Brothers, the "Mack the Black" number with Judy Garland is endlessly catchy and mesmerizing, oh snd The Pirate ballet is probably Gene Kelly and his most athletic and insanely creative.

The Pirate is a silly almost parody of musicals in general and also of the Erol Flynn swashbuckling films of the prior decade to its release. The Pirate is tongue and cheek and probably every bit as "fun" if not moreso than Singin' in the Rain. It also moves at an insane breakneck pace and is entirely a kinetic push forward film. I absolutely love it and yes, spoiler alert... it's in my top 10 of the upcoming MoFo musical lists.

I'd give The Pirate a try if you can dig it up. I have no clue why it isn't more universally loved and treasured. The colors pop off the screen and the direction is great with Vincente Minnelli at the helm. I imagine it might not be taken as seriously as something like Singin' in the Rain or An American in Paris because it is a silly romp and slapstick and deals with... wait for it... pirates, so because of its subject matter it may not be seen as high brow for serious critics, but it's as well crafted as any musical ever made while charmingly poking fun of multiple film genres and conventions. I'd watch it, but it's your choice and your loss if you don't. But it's a film that is well alive in my mind and soul.
I couldn't agree with you more completely, it is a very underrated musical for sure!