I have run out of films

Tools    

You could join us our next foray into schlock. We have a contest to see who can find the worst movie. It's called The Hall of Infamy. We just finished one up but I am sure another will be along soonish.

As well as the ideas above, I realise I can watch Alphaville again.
Have you only watched it once?

I'm only interested these days in watching a film if I think it might make my top 150/200.
That means it needs to pass the trailers round and the reviews round, to even get a viewing.
There was a time when I had vast lists of films to watch. I've now either watched them, started to watch them and didn't finish them, or watched them go through qualies without success.

The most recent films I've finished are:
The Lodger 1927 (9.5, made my list)
Leave Her to Heaven 1945 (9.25, made my list)
You Were Never Really Here 2017 (8.75, quite close to my list)
The Shape of Water 2017 ( 8.75, quite close to my list)
The Sweet Smell of Success 1957 (8.25, didn't make my list)

I've been through for example the TSPDT? 1000, and the S&S 100 and 250, and I feel I've tried everything on there that I want to try.

I suppose I could do documentaries properly?
One of the most important rights you posses is the right to change. Sometimes this just means stopping. The power of "no" is a superpower when it unmasks a false necessity.

I think this is the danger of achievement, it should feel like a celebration but it also destroys the hunger for more.

Rather than expanding your top 200 to a top 500 (or 50.000, as suggested above!) perhaps it could help to set a new goal and (hopefully) discover some true gems in the process.
For example, the top 100 greatest TV movies or mini-series, that'll keep you busy for a while. And it's fun collecting them.

Have you only watched it once?
It's a good point, and I can see the potential for this point to lead to places about some of the films I dismissed!

But no, I didn't really like it the first time I watched it!!

I think though this film is an extreme example of a grower (for me anyway).

I am sure that my method did result in me missing some films I would have really liked, but:

a) I did give some films with very strong reputations several chances (The Third Man being one. I'd already given up on it 2 or 3 times by the time I got into it. I do feel that is a very back-heavy film).

b) I have no doubt that proportionately, my way was the most effective way to see more of the films I would love, than the conventional way of picking a movie to watch (based on just say a feel for the cover or even trailer, or because it's got a certain actor, or a director or whatever) and watching the whole thing regardless.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Robert, in November which is officially Noir-vember try watching classic film noirs and gaining a deeper appreciation for the genre/style of film noir. On Nov 1st the Film Noir Hall of Fame VI will start with me hosting Love to have you join. You can take a look at an older one that I did sometime ago to get an idea of what it's all about: Film Noir HoF V

The pushback you receive is probably because the first post comes across as if by this method you've come up with you now have seen everything that's worth seeing and know everything worth knowing about movies period. It sounds a bit brash, superficial and frankly bait-y.

While your system seems somewhat effective for the way you've decided to approach this, as several posters have already pointed out it's also a crude method and it won't capture anything near all the movies you'd appreciate and so it's kind of insulting the hobby itself. Meaning some resistance should be expected in, you know, a movie forum full of movie fans..

It reminds me of this guy I knew who used to talk about the best music released last year, as if by following certain music channels or magazines he had the complete overview of every worthwhile release of any given time. I told him that ten years from now he would have discovered several great releases from that very same year that he currently had no knowledge of whatsoever no matter how many magazines he had read about the subject. I didn't get the impression that he believed there was anything to what I was trying to tell him.

While the above may not apply directly to movies, as it's probably a lot more music being released that goes under the radar than what's the case with movies, I believe the myopia is somewhat comparable.

I don't actually wear pants.
Robert, in November which is officially Noir-vember try watching classic film noirs and gaining a deeper appreciation for the genre/style of film noir. On Nov 1st the Film Noir Hall of Fame VI will start with me hosting Love to have you join. You can take a look at an older one that I did sometime ago to get an idea of what it's all about: Film Noir HoF V
That would be fun. Is anyone allowed to join?

I've seen 3000 movies and 463 of them are ranked five-stars.
I'm close to 3,200 with maybe 3 five star ratings.

It reminds me of this guy I knew who used to talk about the best music released last year, as if by following certain music channels or magazines he had the complete overview of every worthwhile release of any given time. I told him that ten years from now he would have discovered several great releases from that very same year that he currently had no knowledge of whatsoever no matter how many magazines he had read about the subject.
This just doesn't stack up though, because I found far more great movies in 4 years than I had in the rest of my life combined.
There's no reason why I would have found an even greater number of movies in the next decade (or two) by not doing this exercise. I simply wouldn't have done.
That's proven by the fact that I hadn't found them in the previous two or three decades.
This is just criticism for the sake of criticism (as many of the comments have been).

This just doesn't stack up though, because I found far more great movies in 4 years than I had in the rest of my life combined.
There's no reason why I would have found an even greater number of movies in the next decade (or two) by not doing this exercise. I simply wouldn't have done.
That's proven by the fact that I hadn't found them in the previous two or three decades.
Fair enough, it's not really the same situation and I also admitted that your method was effective in terms of numbers at least. Other than that however it doesn't really differ all that much from my example. You too seem confident on having a near complete overview of what's (to you) worth watching. Based on your described method I think that's poorly grounded and so I don't agree with your conclusion:

This is just criticism for the sake of criticism (as many of the comments have been).

Smooth Operator is probably her biggest number but Kiss of Life or No Ordinary Love were also popular. Her whole catalogue is worth checking out.
Great shout on Kiss of Life!!!

I heard of someone who only watched films on the IMDb Top 250 because he didn't have time for mediocrity. He had time to post online all day but he didn't have time to watch a film with a 7.7 on IMDb. It made no sense. I guess he can do that, except it really limits what one sees, and it's a rather pointless limitation. Just watch anything. Some movies are fluffy and that's okay. We don't need deep artsy fartsy films every time we watch something. I asked him what happens if he dislikes a movie from the Top 250, and he said that never happens because it obviously can't since it's obviously great. I had no friendly response.
Yeah I agree that that is ridiculous.
I've gone about it in a more refined/considered way though (although I have taken rating into account to some extent).

The pushback you receive is probably because the first post comes across as if by this method you've come up with you now have seen everything that's worth seeing and know everything worth knowing about movies period. It sounds a bit brash, superficial and frankly bait-y.

While your system seems somewhat effective for the way you've decided to approach this, as several posters have already pointed out it's also a crude method and it won't capture anything near all the movies you'd appreciate and so it's kind of insulting the hobby itself. Meaning some resistance should be expected in, you know, a movie forum full of movie fans..

It reminds me of this guy I knew who used to talk about the best music released last year, as if by following certain music channels or magazines he had the complete overview of every worthwhile release of any given time. I told him that ten years from now he would have discovered several great releases from that very same year that he currently had no knowledge of whatsoever no matter how many magazines he had read about the subject. I didn't get the impression that he believed there was anything to what I was trying to tell him.

While the above may not apply directly to movies, as it's probably a lot more music being released that goes under the radar than what's the case with movies, I believe the myopia is somewhat comparable.
In my opinion, the more you see of *everything*, the more it makes you appreciate the really good stuff, because you come to realize just how rare it is for something to turn out really really great.

But that's just my take.

I'm only interested these days in watching a film if I think it might make my top 150/200.
That means it needs to pass the trailers round and the reviews round, to even get a viewing.
There was a time when I had vast lists of films to watch. I've now either watched them, started to watch them and didn't finish them, or watched them go through qualies without success.

The most recent films I've finished are:
The Lodger 1927 (9.5, made my list)
Leave Her to Heaven 1945 (9.25, made my list)
You Were Never Really Here 2017 (8.75, quite close to my list)
The Shape of Water 2017 ( 8.75, quite close to my list)
The Sweet Smell of Success 1957 (8.25, didn't make my list)

I've been through for example the TSPDT? 1000, and the S&S 100 and 250, and I feel I've tried everything on there that I want to try.

I suppose I could do documentaries properly?
This is why I dont do lists or countdowns. When it goes from organic enjoyment into forced critique minded scrutiny then its ruined for me. As it is I have a Top 10, and thats probably not accurate. Sometimes were not as objective or self aware as we think we are.