Welcome To Our Nightmare III: Terror, Wooley... and TAKOMA!

Tools    

These are the ones I haven't seen, thanks!
Nice! Look forward to your thoughts. On the Beach is very much not horror; more disaster drama, but I still think it's worth a watch and the ending packs a punch.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Rewatched Blood Beach

John Saxon and Burt Young are the bees knees.

That is all.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Victim of The Night
Between this and The Fog, I need John Houseman to just sit around and tell me Ghost Stories every night in October.

Based on a contemporary novel by Peter Straub, Ghost Story is the tale of The Chowder Society, four small-town-well-to-do old men who gather each week to eat and drink and tell ghost stories... but this time, they are in one themselves. In New York, a young man has thrown himself out of his high-rise window to his death and his twin brother returns to the town of Milburn, home of The Chowder Society, for the funeral. Because the twin brothers are the sons of one of those four men. And the surviving one has a ghost story of his own to tell them, one in which his brother's death was not suicide but ghostly murder, and one that has now come to Milburn to reach its vengeful conclusion.

So, I don’t care what anybody says about Ghost Story, I like it. I know it didn’t make a lotta money and it didn’t get a lot of acclaim, and honestly, it's no great shake and a bit too long, but it’s a real ghost story, like The Fog. And I like ghost stories and I like The Fog and I like this one. It has ghostly charms. A tale of love and jealousy gone wrong and an unjust death covered up and turned into murder. And therefore the tale of a vengeful ghost back to right old wrongs or at least even the score. It has a proper haunted house...

... (just look at that beauty!) and a more than proper ghost. A ghost with a great backstory and a mean streak that in both human and ghoulish forms, is aces.

I show that without fear of spoilers because that is from the first 15 minutes or so of the movie. The pacing here is interesting where they start slow, give you a shock, tell you some story for a while, give you another shock, tell you some more story, etc. I will admit that the movie drags a bit in the late-middle of the film when the old men finally tell their story. The son’s tale had, earlier, gone on just long enough that you needed the movie to pick up the pace, which it does, but then it slows down to a bit of a drag when they get into theirs. Although it's a story which becomes increasingly cringey and awful, in a way that the movie is aware of, and then just as bad as it can be. Like how could something so seemingly innocent have ended so ******* badly? Badly enough to bring that ghost back for revenge on all of them. (I don't want to go on too long but there is really some great meta-commentary here about what men think women promise them by their behavior and whatnot.)
There is also a side-plot about a squatter who may or may not be involved somehow that detracts from the narrative in that it either needed to be explained more or excised completely and, with respect to Peter Straub, I expect that for a movie, it should have been the latter. I did really like this, again, but lord, I do wish it was about 5-10 minutes shorter.
That said, I think Ghost Story makes a fine October viewing in a quainter spot on your calendar. Don't expect to be terrified, don't expect to be dazzled, just expect a long, slow ghost story that's worth hearing.

Victim of The Night
Rewatched Blood Beach

John Saxon and Burt Young are the bees knees.

That is all.
I have not seen Blood Beach in many, many years and could not have told you that either John Saxon or Burt Young were in it without looking it up...
And yet I wholeheartedly agree with your statement.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Between this and The Fog, I need John Houseman to just sit around and tell me Ghost Stories every night in October.

Fantastic movie - definitely due for a rewatch. And tis the season for The Fog as well. Tom Atkins was such a stud he didn't even need the mustache to get Jamie Lee Curtis in bed.

Based on a contemporary novel by Peter Straub, Ghost Story is the tale of The Chowder Society, four small-town-well-to-do old men who gather each week to eat and drink and tell ghost stories... but this time, they are in one themselves. In New York, a young man has thrown himself out of his high-rise window to his death and his twin brother returns to the town of Milburn, home of The Chowder Society, for the funeral. Because the twin brothers are the sons of one of those four men. And the surviving one has a ghost story of his own to tell them, one in which his brother's death was not suicide but ghostly murder, and one that has now come to Milburn to reach its vengeful conclusion.

Whoa, why I hadn't heard of this before?

Victim of The Night
Dunno, it was kind of a mini big-deal when I was young because of the cast and because the ghost is so damn gruesome it really startled people who came for something more quaint. And the central conflict does land in a place that started a lot of conversation in 1981. The movie actually is kind of quaint and it has Fred Astaire and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Melvyn Douglas which drew a lot of older viewers to the theater... but then the gruesomeness and the sex and the brazenness and the controversial reason for the haunting are all informed by more modern, honest ideas so that the movie has elements of an old-fashioned New England ghost story but also Looking For Mr. Goodbar and a very contemporary Horror film. Like, there is a version of the apparition that was apparently cut from the final film that was re-purposed for House On Haunted Hill eighteen years later! That's how serious and intense these creature-effects are in our snowy little old-fashioned ghost story. So I remember my mother being maybe even a bit scandalized by the movie and I think her mother was quite upset about it.

Victim of The Night
Another nice one, it's been far too long since my last viewing of Ghost Story. I've just decided my theme for the month will be "Watch Everything That Wooley Watches."
Ha! You may live to regret that.

Like Wooley mentioned I feel like this was a big deal when it came out and then for a few years in cable's early days and then people stopped talking about it for some reason. Even I had to be reminded that I haven't seen it in forever. So if you're 5-10 years younger than me (I think that's the case), it's conceivable that you grew up in a world where this doesn't get mentioned much.

An anthology horror I hadn't heard of, woo! That one goes on the list.

Just watched another nasty: Zombie 1979 by Fulci. Great stuff here, I gotta say. Lots of bright red gore, awesome makeup on the zombies, and an absolutely remarkable scene of a shark and a zombie underwater. Honestly worth the watch just for that. The rest is zombies killing humans whose reaction time is somehow even more sluggish than theirs, but that scene, gosh dang. I love Italian movies so, so much.

Dunno, it was kind of a mini big-deal when I was young because of the cast and because the ghost is so damn gruesome it really startled people who came for something more quaint. And the central conflict does land in a place that started a lot of conversation in 1981. The movie actually is kind of quaint and it has Fred Astaire and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Melvyn Douglas which drew a lot of older viewers to the theater... but then the gruesomeness and the sex and the brazenness and the controversial reason for the haunting are all informed by more modern, honest ideas so that the movie has elements of an old-fashioned New England ghost story but also Looking For Mr. Goodbar and a very contemporary Horror film. Like, there is a version of the apparition that was apparently cut from the final film that was re-purposed for House On Haunted Hill eighteen years later! That's how serious and intense these creature-effects are in our snowy little old-fashioned ghost story. So I remember my mother being maybe even a bit scandalized by the movie and I think her mother was quite upset about it.
The cast is what initially made me perk up, but then the image you posted of the ghost or whatever; it intrigued me even more.

Like Wooley mentioned I feel like this was a big deal when it came out and then for a few years in cable's early days and then people stopped talking about it for some reason. Even I had to be reminded that I haven't seen it in forever. So if you're 5-10 years younger than me (I think that's the case), it's conceivable that you grew up in a world where this doesn't get mentioned much.
I'm 47 so yeah. I don't think I had ever heard of it.

Il Demonio, 1963

Purif (Daliah Lavi) is a mentally ill young woman living in a small, rural Italian village, where she is shunned for her erratic behavior and the suspicion that she is a witch and possibly also possessed. Purif is erotically obsessed with Antonio (Frank Wolff), and when he becomes engaged to a woman from the village, Purif’s behavior grows more extreme. The superstitious villagers show increasing hostility and violence toward Purif as they decide she is to blame for multiple turns of bad fortune.

This is a damning examination of the intersection of the nastiest parts of religious belief and patriarchy.

Really lovely, really disturbing film. Full review in my time-travel thread.

I always got the feeling that Woodley was 5-10 years older than me (closer to the 10 side of things), but I didn't have a feel for you age. But looking at the release date and thinking how old I was about 5 years after it was released, I guess that lines up/makes sense why I never heard about it growing up. I did encounter it last year at a horror movie marathon. I can see why you dig it. I felt like the flashback/backstory needed to be shorter... or something. That part felt like it went on for too long.

Il Demonio, 1963

Purif (Daliah Lavi) is a mentally ill young woman living in a small, rural Italian village, where she is shunned for her erratic behavior and the suspicion that she is a witch and possibly also possessed. Purif is erotically obsessed with Antonio (Frank Wolff), and when he becomes engaged to a woman from the village, Purif’s behavior grows more extreme. The superstitious villagers show increasing hostility and violence toward Purif as they decide she is to blame for multiple turns of bad fortune.

This is a damning examination of the intersection of the nastiest parts of religious belief and patriarchy.

Really lovely, really disturbing film. Full review in my time-travel thread.

I definitely got Haxan and Day of Wrath vibes while watching this one. Though this one is supposed to be set in more modern times, isn't it (or modern for the time of the film)? I thought it was rural, southern Italy. As opposed to those two which were about examining the past.

ETA: Well, Haxan has more whimsy or tongue-and-cheekness.

Victim of The Night
An anthology horror I hadn't heard of, woo! That one goes on the list.

Just watched another nasty: Zombie 1979 by Fulci. Great stuff here, I gotta say. Lots of bright red gore, awesome makeup on the zombies, and an absolutely remarkable scene of a shark and a zombie underwater. Honestly worth the watch just for that. The rest is zombies killing humans whose reaction time is somehow even more sluggish than theirs, but that scene, gosh dang. I love Italian movies so, so much.
I love Zombie.

Victim of The Night
I always got the feeling that Woodley was 5-10 years older than me (closer to the 10 side of things), but I didn't have a feel for you age. But looking at the release date and thinking how old I was about 5 years after it was released, I guess that lines up/makes sense why I never heard about it growing up. I did encounter it last year at a horror movie marathon. I can see why you dig it. I felt like the flashback/backstory needed to be shorter... or something. That part felt like it went on for too long.
I agree completely.