Your favorite sublime, sacred & spiritual films?

Tools    

Have you watched Godspell Minio?

You're hopeless and incorrigible, MoFos.
Did you misunderstand my point with Loki?

Did you have a response to my Bergman and Renoir comments?

Did you misunderstand my point with Loki?
I don't care about it.

Did you have a response to my Bergman and Renoir comments?
Bergman is a no-brainer. Renoir has nothing sublime, sacred, or spiritual about him. The River is good but nothing special and I'm shocked it's Pedro Costa's favorite film of all time, for example.

Have you watched Godspell Minio?
No.

It is a religious experience!

I don't care about it.

Bergman is a no-brainer. Renoir has nothing sublime, sacred, or spiritual about him. The River is good but nothing special and I'm shocked it's Pedro Costa's favorite film of all time, for example.

No.
Thanks for your reply, but how can you not care if you don't understand? Feel free to PM me if you want me to explain what I was getting at with Loki, as it seems to have whooshed you.

Renoir's sacred, sublime and spiritual River is hugely respected by many of the world's greatest filmmakers. But it apears to be as lost upon you as my Loki observation.

Bergman's F&A represents a huge leap forward in his spiritual growth from his so-called earlier trilogy. Do you want to discuss that?

Likewise, The River represnts an exceptionally mature spiritual grasp.

If you want to discuss your topic, why don't we?

It is a religious experience!
Nice joke. Now let's get serious.

Thanks for your reply, but how can you not care if you don't understand?
I don't care about your reference full stop, even if it supports what I'm saying.

Renoir's sacred, sublime and spiritual River is hugely respected by many of the world's greatest filmmakers. But it apears to be as lost upon you as my Loki observation.
It's good, not great. La grande illusion is best Renoir tho it's humane, not sacred or spiritual.

Bergman's F&A represents a huge leap forward in his spiritual growth from his so-called earlier trilogy. Do you want to discuss that?
I'd unironically love to but I've seen these films over 10 years ago and already got they're masterpieces so a rewatch now would probably destroy me.

Saying "I don't care" to someone else's point is the literal definition of incorrigibility.
I'm talking about good taste.

It was not a joke, I was serious. The movie may be a musical but it does address faith in a fairly meaningful way.

Either talking about taste is worthwhile, or not. If it is, then it's worth considering what other people say about it. If it's not, then there'd be no reason for you to berate them in the first place.

Engaging makes sense, and so does not engaging. The only thing that cannot possibly make sense is what's happening now, where attempts at engagement are superficially dismissed.

I don't care about your reference full stop, even if it supports what I'm saying.

It's good, not great. La grande illusion is best Renoir tho it's humane, not sacred or spiritual.

I'd unironically love to but I've seen these films over 10 years ago and already got they're masterpieces so a rewatch now would probably destroy me.

This is a bit perplexing. Do you just want people to list S3 movies, or do you want to discuss those movies? Loki is a fascinating god because he's so very human, and capable of both terrible and wonderful acts, but should I have just listed the Thor movies he's in?

This topic has great possibilities, but it seems to me that FilmBuff may be the only one doing what you actually seem to want, which is mostly just listing movies, often in rather hilarious and unexpected fashion.

Speaking of, Godspell is not the movie the composer deserves, but Wicked will correct that. I hope. Then Pippin (I hope)!!

I do suggest a re-watch of The River, as it's an immensely powerful and beautiful movie, and one of the most spiritual I've ever seen, but I first viewed it in college, and really didn't get it at first flow. Very much worth the paddle!

It was not a joke, I was serious. The movie may be a musical but it does address faith in a fairly meaningful way.
Oh, I forgot 'muricans think hippies and market hall churches are 'spiritual'. Imagine taking seriously cultures that haven't even figured out how to be Christian yet.

I think few people get what I meant by sublime, sacred & spiritual films in this thread. Most of you seem to think that any film that can be intellectually understood as one on faith and so on qualifies here, though what I meant here is more specific and the best of the best:

Films that defy logic and touch the core of humanity or transcendence, placing them among the most sacred and revered works. Films of utmost ethical or artistic merit that uplift the soul to a sublime level of moral or spiritual refinement and excellence.
Considering I hate materialism and 99% of films are about that, it's a miracle I even started this thread.

Either talking about taste is worthwhile, or not.
It's worthwhile because people with good taste can show the ones with bad taste what's the actual best stuff out there. The attainment of elite status comes with the possession of a sophisticated and diversified cinematic palette, after all.

If it is, then it's worth considering what other people say about it. If it's not, then there'd be no reason for you to berate them in the first place.
Waaaait a seeeeeecond. So... I need a reason to berate people? But what is the point of a forum when you can't berate each other's movie taste dawg?

Engaging makes sense, and so does not engaging. The only thing that cannot possibly make sense is what's happening now, where attempts at engagement are superficially dismissed.
You're just upset that I do not send you proof of my truths and lies. Therefore you feel me distant and never sure what I'm going to say. Must be frustrating but it's all 100% true. What you need to take into consideration is that unlike other members here, I'm not limited by pretenses of politeness.

This is a bit perplexing. Do you just want people to list S3 movies, or do you want to discuss those movies?
I'm not looking for a discussion. I'm looking for good recommendations.

Loki is a fascinating god because he's so very human, and capable of both terrible and wonderful acts, but should I have just listed the Thor movies he's in?
You seriously just posted about a Marvel character in this thread and don't see it as overstepping the limits of good principles?

This topic has great possibilities, but it seems to me that FilmBuff may be the only one doing what you actually seem to want, which is mostly just listing movies, often in rather hilarious and unexpected fashion.
Where is his taste, though? It's all conservative mumbo jumbo.

I do suggest a re-watch of The River, as it's an immensely powerful and beautiful movie, and one of the most spiritual I've ever seen, but I first viewed it in college, and really didn't get it at first flow. Very much worth the paddle!
Mkay, but I'll hold you responsible if I don't change my mind on it. Not that it qualifies in this thread, anyway, but fine.

Bresson also, particularly A Man Escaped.
Yeah, and you just had to cite his least spiritual film. Bresson is good, if you care about animals and underaged girls. I don't.

Oh, I forgot 'muricans think hippies and market hall churches are 'spiritual'. Imagine taking seriously cultures that haven't even figured out how to be Christian yet.
Gospell is literally the story of Jesus.

For people of that faith, it doesn't get any more serious than that. Stop disrespecting religious expression that you don't understand.

The trick is not minding
Bresson’s films are very spiritual and transcendent. His films are more than just about animals and underaged girls. I guess reaching elite status doesn’t make you have possession of a sophisticated cinematic palette, after all.

Also, there’s irony in dismissing materialistic films while praising many Hong Kong films from the 80’s and 90’s which were quite often materialistic in their own right.

Gospell is literally the story of Jesus.
As told by a band of hippies, eh?

For people of that faith, it doesn't get any more serious than that. Stop disrespecting religious expression that you don't understand.
Sometimes it's okay to just accept your rude side instead of decoupling from it.

Bresson’s films are very spiritual and transcendent. His films are more than just about animals and underaged girls. I guess reaching elite status doesn’t make you have possession of a sophisticated *cinematic palette, after all.
It's okay, it's something I made up.

It's just a caprice.

Also, there’s irony in dismissing materialistic films while praising many Hong Kong films from the 80’s and 90’s which were quite often materialistic in their own right. *

I think few people get what I meant by sublime, sacred & spiritual films in this thread. Most of you seem to think that any film that can be intellectually understood as one on faith and so on qualifies here, though what I meant here is more specific and the best of the best:

Considering I hate materialism and 99% of films are about that, it's a miracle I even started this thread.

It's worthwhile because people with good taste can show the ones with bad taste what's the actual best stuff out there. The attainment of elite status comes with the possession of a sophisticated and diversified cinematic palette, after all.

Waaaait a seeeeeecond. So... I need a reason to berate people? But what is the point of a forum when you can't berate each other's movie taste dawg?

You're just upset that I do not send you proof of my truths and lies. Therefore you feel me distant and never sure what I'm going to say. Must be frustrating but it's all 100% true. What you need to take into consideration is that unlike other members here, I'm not limited by pretenses of politeness.

I'm not looking for a discussion. I'm looking for good recommendations.

You seriously just posted about a Marvel character in this thread and don't see it as overstepping the limits of good principles?

Where is his taste, though? It's all conservative mumbo jumbo.

Mkay, but I'll hold you responsible if I don't change my mind on it. Not that it qualifies in this thread, anyway, but fine.

Yeah, and you just had to cite his least spiritual film. Bresson is good, if you care about animals and underaged girls. I don't.
Thank you for engaging.

I do very seriously (again) recommend the quintessentially Triple S The River, and at least one Thor movie, but not the first one. You can also PM me about why I brought that rascally Loki up if you still haven't figured it out.

As to Bresson, he is a VERY problematic human and director, but undissmissable regardless of his often annoyingly adolescent preoccuations, particularly in the realm of matters spiritual, sublime and so on.

This thread has gone on long enough that I can't remember if I recommended Triple S classic A.I., an absolutely beautiful film, and one of Kubrick's best. Also very timely, stupid though AI is in comparison to even the stupidest humans and the sublime characters in A.I.

As to Bresson, he is a VERY problematic human and director, but undissmissable regardless of his often annoyingly adolescent preoccuations, particularly in the realm of matters spiritual, sublime and so on.
Come on, it's not like he molested somebody.

OK, never mind.

This thread has gone on long enough that I can't remember if I recommended Triple S classic A.I., an absolutely beautiful film, and one of Kubrick's best. Also very timely, stupid though AI is in comparison to the stupidest humans and the sublime characters in A.I.
Is A.I. really the masterpiece all the uncool film critics say it is? I don't think I ever watched it in my conscious life but just looking at the trailer gives off 1/5 Spielberg spiel vibes.

It's actually pretty funny how everyone of these threads that Minio creates all have the pretense of being about appreciating humanism and transcendence in films, but after a pretty cursory glance at them, they always reveal themselves as little more than the self perpetuation of one man's vanity. This isn't about films really at all, its about ego, which is pretty much the complete opposite of humanism or transcendence. And just so everyone is clear, no, there will be no discussion permitted in case this supposed superiority of his can ever can be called into question. Everyone should just get in line for judgement, and if your lucky, he might even consider one of your recommendations.

but after a pretty cursory glance at them, they always reveal themselves as little more than the self perpetuation of one man's vanity.
These days I put zero effort. I just navigate the forums and tell people off.

My desire to express myself is close to null, because I seek no recognition or attention.

I dunno but in old times I used to write nonsense all the time and everybody was fine with it because I pretended to be "polite".

Well duh, the only reason I'm still here is I still hope @resopamenic will return and agree to marry me.

As told by a band of hippies, eh?
No.

The characters in the movie are Jesus, Judas, and the apostles.

They are given a presentation that would have made it easier for young hip people in the early 70s to identify with.

Something that would be easy enough to understand if you could get past your egocentric elitism.