My Favorite Movie Guilty Pleasures

→ in
Tools    

Yeah you truly show no mercy Mark . One of the versions of Imitation of Life is one of my Mums favourite films along with, the 1939 Wuthering Heights and Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?

Twister is one of my top guilty pleasure movies too. It's one of those movies that I have to stop and watch it every time it's on TV, but I don't know why.

One of my top guilty pleasure movies, (that you didn't mention), is The Negotiator (1998) with Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Spacey. It's another movie that I stop and watch it every time it's on TV. It's probably my #1 guilty pleasure movie.
I've seen bits and pieces of The Negotiator but have never seen it from beginning to end.

I didn't care too much for Sandler's The Longest Yard. The original is a big favorite of mine.

Twister is an awesome movie-good stuff Gideon!

Nice list, Gideon!

We are only a few years apart (you mentioned seeing "Billie" in '65 when you were eight), so we like a lot of the same movies.

I'll just go through, in order, some of the same ones we have in common:
Hooper One of my favorite Burt Reynolds movies. I was always irked that it was never released in widescreen on DVD, but that will be rectified on April 7th. It's being released on Blu-Ray in widescreen and I'm gonna snap that bad boy up! Also Sharkey's Machine, another favorite Burt pic, is being released the same day for the first time in widescreen. Yes!!

Beach Blanket Bingo: I dig all the "Beach" movies, but this is definitely the best of the bunch. Plus, my favorite part of the movie is Harvey Lembeck as Eric Von Zipper, leader of the Rat Pack, with his famous line, "Why me? Why me all the time?" Said usually as he's falling off a cliff.

The Trouble with Angels: Just like you, kept my love for Hayley Mills going strong. Her best friend in the movie wasn't bad either.

Goodbye Charlie: Have always been a big Debbie Reynolds fan and this was one of my favorites of hers when I was young. Need to re-watch it.

Soylent Green: I can't remember if this was a hit or not at the box office, but it sure entered the popular mainstream with it's famous line that Heston yells at the end (which I won't spoil for people who haven't seen it, although it's decades old). Great stuff.

Funny Lady: My parents took me to see this at a cinema when it first came out. I liked it a lot as a young teen even though I wasn't (and still am not) a Streisand fan. I liked James Caan a lot in the movie, and I was intrigued because he played the creator of the first "Casa Manana" in Fort Worth, the city next door to my town. Entertaining movie.

The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes: Love all the Kurt Russell "Dexter Riley" flicks. This is my favorite, followed by "The Barefoot Executive" where the chimp picks hit TV shows. Although, in that one, Kurt plays a character named Steve, but he's still basically playing Dexter.

What a Way to Go!: This was a family favorite and is still one of mine. I especially love the scene where Mitchum makes a mistake with a bull and yells, "Melrose, forgive me!"

With Six You Get Eggroll: Have always been a Doris Day fan (was kind of in love with her for many years as a kid) and was a fan of this movie. I liked Barbara Hershey a lot, too, if you know what I mean.

Nuts: Again, not a Streisand fan but really liked her performance in this movie.

Loving You and Where the Boys Are: are two fun movies, especially due to the appearance of the beautiful Delores Hart, who is a nun now, by the way.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory: Still prefer this to the Johnny Depp version (although that one is good). Gene Wilder was bonkers as Wonka, especially when taking the kids through the water tunnel. Kooky!

Our Man Flint: Love the two "Flint" movies where Flint basically takes the piss out of Bond and all spy movies. Coburn was aces!

Billie: Funnily enough, like you, my parents took me to the drive-in to see this. I remember loving Patty Duke but I need to see this again to refresh my memory.

Penelope: Saw this again on TCM a few months back and really liked it. Of course, with Natalie Wood, I'm not going to dislike it. She was so fine.

The Thrill of It All!: one of my favorite Doris Day movies and like you said, James Garner was great in this. I wish these two had done more movies together.

Slap Shot: One of my favorite all-time movies. This is hilarious all the way through. Paul Newman must have shocked audiences with his profanity back in '77, but funnily enough this movie was written by a woman. As great as Newman was, the Hanson Brothers totally steal the movie.

Change of Habit: Good Elvis movie and I had to laugh at the final scene where Mary Tyler Moore is having flashes of Elvis and images of the Lord in the church, as if she's trying to choose. I'm sure a lot of Elvis fans did the same thing, no offense meant to you, Lord!

Airport 1975: Fun, goofy disaster flick, that the movie Airplane! stole a few things from, like Linda Blair as the sick young girl on the plane and the nun, Helen Reddy! of all people singing to her with her guitar. Good stuff.

I liked several others on the list, but the ones above really jumped out at me. Again, great list, Gideon!

Airport 1975: Fun, goofy disaster flick, that the movie Airplane! stole a few things from, like Linda Blair as the sick young girl on the plane and the nun, Helen Reddy! of all people singing to her with her guitar. Good stuff.
Airplane! didn't really steal it, did it? That was the joke. Airport was the film it was parodying.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Down with Love

This brilliant lampoon of the 1959 classic Pillow Talk pretty much died at the box office and I see very little discussion about it on these boards, but I still think it's a great movie.
It's weird how much I loved this movie. I pretty much thought I'd hate it, but nope. It's hilarious.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Trouble with a capital "T"
58.Soylent Green

...I found this film completely engrossing...don't see a lot of discussion about it on these boards either. I was CERTAIN Edward G. Robinson would win an Oscar for his performance but I don't think he was even nominated.
I'm a huge fan of this! Edward G. Robinson's performance is heart breakingly beautiful. Charleston Heston is really damn good in this too. Especially his last scene with Robinson.