MoFo Fantasy Football - 2024 Season

Tools    

My thoughts on every team (this won't age poorly at all! ):

11 Angry Men (@Yoda;): Despite missing 4 games last season and playing on an absolute dumpster fire of a team, Saquon still managed to finish as the overall RB12. Fantasy pundits are worried about the tush-push robbing him of TD opportunities and the team's underemphasis on passing to RBs, but I love Saquon this season and expect him to finish among the leaders at his position -- health pending -- given the uptick in efficiency he'll likely experience as part of such an upgraded offensive eco-system. I'm not a believer in Zamir White, however, despite him finishing with 4 straight double-digit fantasy weeks to end last season when he took over after the injury to Jacobs. He seems like an early-down RB on a bad team that will often be trailing. I suspect Tyjae Spears or McLaughlin might soon replace him in Yoda's starting line-up due to their passing game involvement. And Trey Benson will probably get a few starts as well considering how injury-prone James Conner has been throughout his career. Jonathan Brooks could be a rewarding stash for later in the season.

Wilson, Olave and Pittman Jr. will be a formidable WR trio if they live up to expectations. I like all three players but don't share the same level of enthusiasm as others. Garrett Wilson finished as WR31 last season. Obviously that was with a ball-and-chain like Zach Wilson weighing him down, but Aaron Rodgers is 40-years-old and returning from a torn Achilles. Is that enough of an upgrade to vault Wilson from WR31 to top 10? Olave has been a low-end WR2 through his first two seasons, and he and Derek Carr never seemed to be on the same page last year. Does that change this year? Pittman Jr. had a nice season, but that was with pocket passer Gardner Minshew. Will he do as well with a running QB who struggles with accuracy? At least we know what to expect from George Kittle, who should once again deliver enough spiked weeks to finish top-5 at his position.

Entering the season with Jayden Daniels as the starting QB, with only a mid-range option like Stafford as a safety net, is too risky for me -- although I respect the bravery. Running QBs can be a cheat code in fantasy, and I'm sure Daniels will make enough plays with his legs to put up respectable fantasy numbers, but I also expect a lot of growing pains and turnovers. Very boom/bust. Personally, I would've gone with the safe consistency of Brock Purdy, who was still on the board at the time.

Doomguys (@jiraffejustin;): While the fantasy industry has shifted more toward WRs in the early rounds, I'm still old-school, so I love that Justin grabbed three absolute hogs to start the draft. Breece Hall was excellent last season, and that was coming off a torn ACL. He could very well finish as the overall RB1 this year with the return of Rodgers and a revamped offensive line. I've been baffled all pre-season by how low the "experts" ranked Jacobs. He was the highest-scoring RB two years ago, and it's easy to excuse his disappointing performance last year given his issues with the Raiders' front office and the team's overall disarray. Like Saquon, Jacobs has gone from one of the worst offenses to one of the best, and I think he could be in store for a monster season. Mixon remains one of the most underappreciated guys in fantasy football. Analysts bemoan his lack of efficiency, but he's been one of the most reliable RBs over the last few years, finishing as an RB1 seemingly every year. I see no reason why that level of consistency won't continue this season even with the change of scenery.

If Burrow doesn't have any lingering issues with his wrist, Higgens should have a nice bounce-back this season -- particularly if Chase's contract issue causes him to miss games or get off to a slow start due to his lack of practice time. I love Pickens as a player, but I think his QB situation will hold him back. "Who will emerge as WR1 for the Packers?" has been a hot topic of debate this off-season. My money is on Christian Watson. Trey McBride has the potential to be a top-3 TE this season, while Brock Bowers has the talent and pedigree to be this year's Laporta. Chuba Hubbard should be a viable FLEX until Brooks returns. CJ Stroud should only improve upon his excellent rookie season. If Pickens/Higgens can at least be top-20 WRs, Doomguys could be as formidable as his video-game namesake.

The Jackson 11 (@Sedai;): Lamar Jackson can singlehandedly flip a fantasy match-up any given week, as no other QB has a higher ceiling. AJ Brown and Mike Evans is an excellent WR duo. I've drafted Evans more than any other player over the years and I've never regretted it, as he's an automatic bet for 1000+ yards and a plethora of TDs. I like the Pacheco pick as well (although I wouldn't have picked him over Gibbs). Rhamondre Stevenson, on the other hand, is probably going to be a bust. The Patriots suffer from a dearth of playmakers while employing five turnstiles as their o-line. If Antonio Gibson is the primary receiving back, it's going to be tough for Stevenson to produce this season on what is probably the worst team in football. D'Andre Swift could be sneaky good if Caleb Williams is legit. Ekeler is an interesting x-factor who could prove to be one of the steals of the draft or a complete non-factor, depending on whether his drop-off last year was attributed more to injuries/team or the dreaded age cliff. Zeke is probably washed, but he could stumble his way into 6-8 TDs. I'm not a believer in Will Levis, but if he takes a leap this season, Ridley and Hopkins could become every-week starters. If the long-awaited breakout for Kyle Pitts doesn't happen this year, it's never gonna happen.

LOVE Brokers (@Holden Pike;): With all the weapons at his disposal, Caleb Williams could easily have a season on par with what Stroud did last year, but I like that Holden hedged his bet with a reliable safety net in Jared Goff, who was the overall QB7 last year. Bijan has #1 overall potential. Allgeier will probably remain a thorn in his side, but the jettison of Arthur Smith and the addition of Kirk Cousins should mean good things for everyone in that Atlanta offense. Aaron Jones and James Conner have been highly productive for multiple seasons, but they're also two of the most injury-prone players. It'll be interesting to see what the target distribution looks like in Houston with the arrival of Diggs. Even if he's third in targets, I think Dell will make enough splash plays to be a quality start most weeks. I think Marvin Harrison Jr. is being drafted at his absolute ceiling. I know he's got all the talent and the genetic pedigree and he's in a great situation where he'll be heavily relied upon, but all pre-season I've felt that he was ranked ahead of too many proven commodities. Laporta rounds out a strong starting line-up, but the bench is pretty shallow, so I think Holden is more susceptible to injuries than some of the other teams.

The Waterboys (@TONGO;): Auto-draft did well. McCaffrey is a cheat code. He's essentially two RBs in one. Health permitting, he'll likely repeat as RB1. KWIII is a solid running mate who should be a high-end RB2 if he can just avoid the injury bug that's repeatedly bitten him during his short time in the league. I'd be very concerned about only having Antonio Gibson as insurance in the event that McCaffrey or KWIII miss time. WR depth is strong. I think Kupp can still be a WR1 and I like him to outproduce Puka this season. Perhaps new OC Kellen Moore will unlock Devonta Smith's ceiling, allowing him to close the gap in production between himself and AJ Brown; but at the very least we know Smith will be a solid mid-range WR2. Sutton likely maintains his high weekly floor with the lack of receiving options in Denver, with the potential for a higher ceiling if Bo Nix plays as well as he did during the pre-season. I think JSN leap-frogs Lockett as the WR2 for the Seahawks. Zay Flowers had a very respectable rookie season. Even just a minor increase in production should be enough to make him a mid-range WR2. Kelce might not be the undisputed king at TE anymore due to his age, but his rapport with Mahomes will probably always keep him near the top at his position. Kyler Murray seems to be a better fantasy QB than a real-life QB, with his shifty running ability providing a high weekly floor. If Harrison Jr. is all that he's said to be, Murray might have another season on par with what he did in 2020 when he was QB2 on the season.

Parrotheads (@Hey Fredrick;): I had Etienne in my money league last year. He was excellent during the first half of the season, second only to McCaffrey in points, but his performance fell off significantly in the second half. Those last impressions, along with the coach's comments about lightening Etienne's load, have made Etienne a solid value as a late 2nd rounder. He'll likely finish as a low-end RB1. Mostert has been a bit disrespected as well coming off an 18-TD season. Dude is still technically the starter, yet all the hype has revolved around Achane. Mostert doesn't have to duplicate last season's success to be an every-week contributor. Zack Moss played well in Taylor's absence last season and should be the goal-line back in a potentially high-powered Cincy offense. Chase Brown was a popular sleeper but I think Moss will prove to be the more reliable weekly play. Tyreek/Nico is a deadly duo. Kincaid might ascend to elite status if he emerges as Josh Allen's go-to target. Joshua Palmer is one of my favorite sleepers as the only WR in LA with whom Herbert has established chemistry. Rashee Rice's suspension likely doesn't happen until next year. Dak/Purdy is a damn good QB duo. This is a well-balanced team with no obvious weaknesses and lots of flexibility. Jimmy Buffet would be proud.

Return of the Dark Decade (@Powdered Water;): Jalen Hurts is awesome. CeeDee Lamb is awesome. Mark Andrews is awesome. Each of those guys could easily finish #1 at their positions. Montgomery/Pollard form a solid if unspectacular RB duo. I expect Gibbs to get more work than last season, but the Lions have arguably the best o-line in the league and Montgomery will maintain a large role. Doubt he repeats as an RB1, but he could easily be top-15. Pollard is more of a question mark, due to the uncertainty with the Titans offense and how much he splits touches with Spears. Drake London hasn't finished higher than WR36, so I can't get on board with his 2nd-round ADP, even with the obvious upgrade at QB. He'll have the best year of his career but expectations are too high, in my opinion. Expectations might be too low for Keenan Allen. By average, he was WR8 last season, and he's typically finished as a WR1 when healthy. Even with the change of scenery and the increased competition for targets, I think he'll prove to be a steal at his ADP. Warren, Worthy, Williams, Cooks and Taysom Hill are nice bench pieces.

Wide Right (@seanc;): I was bummed that James Cook didn't slip to me in the draft since I'd gotten used to nabbing him in almost every mock. He finished as the RB11 last year and his arrow is only pointing up. Kamara's best days are behind him, but the constant check-downs inflate his weekly average. Amon-Ra St. Brown might have the safest weekly floor of any WR. Waddle was a disappointment last season, but I contribute that to nagging injuries and bad TD luck. I expect him to rebound to high-end WR2 numbers this season. Surely Josh Allen's stats take at least a slight dip with the all-new receiving room, but he seems destined for at least a top-three finish every year. I'm not sold on Christian Kirk as a FLEX. Brian Robinson Jr. had a sneaky good season last year but what happens now with Ekeler in town? Not many pieces on the bench excite me and TE might prove to be a liability. Top-heavy.

Titletown Champs (@rauldc14;): I'm worried that I'll regret passing on Gibbs with my 2nd-round pick. I considered him but the hamstring was enough to dissuade me in favor of Henry. Gibbs was excellent last season, finishing as RB10 despite missing two games and being eased into the offense. If Montgomery wasn't on the Lions, Gibbs would deserve consideration as the #1 pick. Love the WR trio of Chase/Aiyuk/DJ Moore, although it'll be interesting to see if the missed practices from Chase and Aiyuk lead to slow starts to the season. Najee Harris isn't a sexy pick, but the Steelers are going to run a lot. Jerome Ford is severely slept on as the incumbent starter for Cleveland until Chubb returns later in the year. Gus Edwards is unlikely to repeat his TD numbers from last year, but the Chargers aim to be extremely run-heavy, so volume alone might power him to a solid finish. Jordan Love's deep WR group should propel him to another strong year. This is a team with a lot of potential.

WhentheLe'VeonBreaks (@Adamantium18;): Another team with a very impressive WR trio. Jefferson is QB-proof, so I'm not worried about Sam Darnold torpedoing Jefferson's chances at elite production. I think Puka takes a slight step back this season. Davante Adams is no longer in his prime and has to catch passes from Uncle Rico. He'll probably be frustratingly up-and-down, similar to last season. Rachaad White/Javonte Williams is an underwhelming duo with high bust potential. White benefited from heavy volume last season, but it sounds like the rookie Bucky Irving might cut into his touches, as the coach has talked about a "hot-hand" approach; if so, White would have to be significantly more efficient to offset the loss in volume. The verdict is still out on Anthony Richardson, so he was a hard pass for me at his ADP. I need to see more than two good games from a dude before committing to him as my starter. I like Evan Engram a lot, and I think Brian Thomas might emerge as a decent FLEX. I don't typically pay attention to kickers, but Aubrey can swing close match-ups with his ability to make 50+ yarders with ease.

Wylde Wolves (@Wyldesyde19;): After landing Kyren Williams off waivers last year, I'm not surprised Wydesyde returned to that well, but Achane with the 13th overall pick was a bit of a shocker. Swing for the fences, as they say, and it's not like Achane would've lasted until his 3rd-round pick, so grab your guy if you believe in him. Achane looked like a league-winner before getting injured. He's a smaller RB, so his carries will probably be somewhat limited, but clearly he's a home-run hitter. Both Achane and Kyren are still in the prove-it phase for me. A lot of potential explosivity, but also a lot of questions about durability and workload. Deebo at the end of the 3rd was a steal. Curious to see how well Diggs adapts to his new team. Does he start pouting if Nico and Dell outshine him or does he immediately become the alpha? Amari Cooper has produced at a high level for quite some time. He should be a comfortable WR2. Shakir is one of my favorite sleepers and my bet to emerge as Allen's most trusted WR. Chase Brown could be this year's Jaylen Warren. I like Ferguson at TE.

Bumping the pick 'em again since we've only got a measly 4 members thus far. Join, bitches!

Yahoo Pro Football Pick'em
Group ID#: 35932
Password: mofo

@jiraffejustin; @Holden Pike; @Wyldesyde19; @Yoda; @TONGO; @Powdered Water; @Sedai; @cricket; @doubledenim; @Allaby; @John W Constantine . . . and anyone else who is interested.

Thank you for that writeup Cap. I was only able to pick Cooper Kupp and Travis Kelce, the rest was Yahoo.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
I do have Pacheco in two leagues this year. So as much as it pains me I will be rooting for the Chiefs to average 14 points a game, and Pacheco to have 34 TD.

#JusticeForHamilton

The pressure is as great as the privilege when you pick second in the draft. Assuming the first slot takes the top-rated player - once again Christian McCaffrey - it leaves the entire rest of the NFL to choose from. I reached down a few spots to anoint Atlanta's Bijon Robinson as my favored warrior. He had a solid rookie campaign last year marred by the fact that the Falcons didn't have anywhere near a top tier QB. With the apparent upgrade of the veteran Kirk Cousins, the opportunity is certainly there for Bijon to explode, especially as he should be part of the passing game as well as the run. Either I am a genius or a dope. Of course, time will tell (with the smart money on dope).

If Bijon becomes my superstar anchor, I shouldn't need a heck of a lot from my other RBs. A few weeks ago I had no intention of targeting Aaron Jones, moving from Green Bay to their hated rival Vikings. But once rookie QB J.J. McCarthy was injured and ruled out for the season, I figured the wily veteran Jones may become a logically steady option for Minnesota, and he could have a resurgent season. I have Arizona's James Conner too, for as long as he stays healthy, anyway.

The biggest gamble I took is going young in my receiver corps. Way young. Instead of claiming at least one proven points-generator, I have Arizona's speedy rookie Marvin Harrison Jr., who may well be an immediate favored target if Kyler Murray is truly back in form. Houston's second-year player Tank Dell has other very good teammates to contend with for targets, but if Stroud continues to develop into a nova of a star he will have plenty to spread around. Even my bench WRs are young, including Bears rookie Rome Odunze and Colts rookie Adonai Mitchell. If any ONE of those four young dudes has anything approaching a Puka Nacua type year, I will be A-OK. If two or more of them hit...oh, boy!

Everybody knows there are precious few TEs worth even half a damn, but I took a big chance and early draft pick that last year's big surprise Sam LaPorta will excel once again in Detroit. If he does, I should have quite the advantage, week-to-week, with a position that is mostly a Fantasy black hole for the majority.

Speaking of The Lions, I consciously decided ahead of time not to grab a QB from the first few tiers. Instead, I settled on a pair of decent fellas from the middle of the class who both have ceiling potential. Jared Goff should give me a reliable fantasy number whenever started, while the IRL number one draft pick and hopeful Chicago Messiah Caleb Williams may turn out to be another instant star and scoring machine. If not, Goff's slow and steady veteran tortoise may be all I need, assuming Bijon is a stud and a couple of my young receivers be all they can be.

So, I had a plan, anyway. Let's do this!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Above and beyond, Spaulding, very cool breakdown.

Entering the season with Jayden Daniels as the starting QB, with only a mid-range option like Stafford as a safety net, is too risky for me -- although I respect the bravery. Running QBs can be a cheat code in fantasy, and I'm sure Daniels will make enough plays with his legs to put up respectable fantasy numbers, but I also expect a lot of growing pains and turnovers. Very boom/bust. Personally, I would've gone with the safe consistency of Brock Purdy, who was still on the board at the time.
You know what's funny? I specifically thought of Daniels as the sort of pick you would make. Though it might be a year early.

It's definitely a risk, but historically I've had better luck waiting on QBs. I think (hope?) that getting a running QB might give me a solid floor, which is theoretically all I need out of the position if I've spent effectively at the others with that extra draft capital. Basically, the decision here was whether I went QB earlier or whether I grab that third good WR rather than going with two and some fliers. Also has the net effect of letting me take more RB lottery tickets.

Will it work? Who knows. But that was the thought process, at least. Daniels wasn't my first option for this, mind you, but it's how it shook out. If one or two guys fall earlier in the draft (I narrowly missed several big targets), the remaining picks would've gone a bit different.

Spaulding was right having only 1 backup RB is too risky. Especially when 2 of the 3 are DTD, and the one who isn't frequently misses time. So I dropped my Miami kicker and Baltimore for 2 handcuffs. Why not? I don't dismiss Defenses, but feel it all depends on the match up that week anyway. As for Kickers I think Tucker still has some Tucker left in him.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
I definitely agree with Spaulding’s assessment of my team as well. WR depth will probably be a problem. It’s the price I am paying to secure Allen the last few years. I know I am taking him a round early, like Yoda said in the chat I can’t help myself. It’s the price I’m willing to pay to own the player that I watch every week with great joy. Been a long time since I had that as a Bills fan. It means being a skill player short, but so be it.

Parrots just licking his chops, or beak, seeing my anemic score so far.
Is Parrotheads Hey Frederick??
Edit in - well yes he is. It's good to read everything in the first post

It's Sunday!! You know what that means! Time to watch our fantasy baseball players progress throughout the day!!! I'm sick. Honestly though I'd be watching football but am working. Tomorrow night though I should be able to catch the second half of MNF and see what all the fuss is about that McCaffrey guy.

A system of cells interlinked
My top guys all performed well so far, but today will reveal the roles the more questionable guys on my squad will play going forward. Beyond Issac, I have no idea which RB will be worth slotting. Stevenson is ranked pretty high for a bum on a bad team, so I have a feeling he will fall off quickly unless Jacoby is constantly dumping pass off to the guy while under pressure or something along those lines. Swift? Your guess is a s good as mine, unless you are Spaulding, and then your guess is most certainly better than mine!

A lot of questions surround the back end of my roster - we shall see what happens!

Kyler Murray @ Buffalo. This seems disconcerting. If he can do it there, he can do it anywhere. I mean, the song could have been about New York the state? Right?