The deadline for the Top Musicals list is coming up! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

The best "anti-war" war movies?

Tools    

Apocalypse Now
All Quiet on the Western Front
Paths of Glory

Paths of Glory
La Grande Illusion
Dr. Strangelove
On the Beach

I still need to watch this. I heard it was my type of film. Just as Dish was my type and it took me a long time to see it.

Grand Illusion
Johnny Got His Gun
I have to see Grand Illusion.

Is Apocalypse Now really "anti?" Kinda seems like a middle ground between war and anti-war.

My first choice is Grave of the Fireflies. THAT'S anti-war.

Is Apocalypse Now really "anti?" Kinda seems like a middle ground between war and anti-war.

My first choice is Grave of the Fireflies. THAT'S anti-war.
Fires on the Plain is another Japanese one.

I think Kurtz summarizes everything bad about the Vietnam War

Fires on the Plain is another Japanese one.

I think Kurtz summarizes everything bad about the Vietnam War

Yeah but he's one character. Apocalypse Now is about a plethora of them.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I have to see Grand Illusion.

The first time I saw it, I didn't like it, but I'm thinking it was because the VHS from the library was grainy, and I remember waking up at 4am and not being able to go back to sleep, but watching it anyway.. The second time I saw it, I think I gave it a 10/10

Yeah but he's one character. Apocalypse Now is about a plethora of them.
are not most of them damaged in some way?>

No, most of them just
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
kinda died.
people always die in war movies

The first time I saw it, I didn't like it, but I'm thinking it was because the VHS from the library was grainy, and I remember waking up at 4am and not being able to go back to sleep, but watching it anyway.. The second time I saw it, I think I gave it a 10/10
I just watched it. I believe this was Orson Welles' favorite movie. I can see why.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I just watched it. I believe this was Orson Welles' favorite movie. I can see why.

He did call this his favorite movie, if he could only pick one to take on a desert island, but in a later interview, he named "Umberto D" by Vittorio De Sica which is a 10/10 and a must-watch for any movie lover.

He did call this his favorite movie, if he could only pick one to take on a desert island, but in a later interview, he named "Umberto D" by Vittorio De Sica which is a 10/10 and a must-watch for any movie lover.
I have seen Umberto D. A good look at the devastation of post war Italy.