Your least favorite Hitchcock movie?

Tools    

Torn Curtain

Waltzes from Vienna

Toss up between The Birds and Marnie. Both have lots of good comments on IMDb so maybe I should re-watch them, it has been a long time.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Toss up between The Birds and Marnie. Both have lots of good comments on IMDb so maybe I should re-watch them, it has been a long time.

I don't know why that's funny, but it is!

Vertigo and Strangers On A Train

Suspicion is cack.

The truth is in here
Aw come on, I love Suspicion! Sure the ending may have been ruined by executive meddling, but up until that it's classic old school Hitchcock suspense. Dare even say it's mildly underrated.

Totally agree about Torn Curtain however. I'm sure there are other weak efforts I may have missed, but it's a film that starts off very promising, then gradually the story starts slowing down to a near-halt and becomes a drag. Not without its charming/memorable moments, but with a plot that lacks suspense, by The Master's standard fairly average direction and a sleep-inducingly boring performance from Paul Newman, it's okay but ultimately a dud.

i am not a fan of marnie

The truth is in here
Rope is one of my favorites! I didn't expect to see you shitting on this movie

I adore James Mason, but was perfectly fine with James Stewart playing the detective. I also thought the two leads did fantastically.

Rope is one of my favorites! I didn't expect to see you shitting on this movie

I adore James Mason, but was perfectly fine with James Stewart playing the detective. I also thought the two leads did fantastically.
Don't feel too bad, I did review it and gave it a 3/5. I don't hate it, it's just my least favorite of Hitch's films.

In my review I wrote this:
James Stewart, he was all wrong for the role. He's suppose to be a haughty, smug, intellectual professor who feels murder can be justified as art...but doesn't have the guts to carry out his own views.

Jimmy Steward is the antithesis of this, he's down to earth, he's friendly, and he's very trust worthy, everyone likes Stewart! He's just the wrong fit for the role. He thought so himself too:

This was the only movie James Stewart made with Alfred Hitchcock that he did not like. Stewart later admitted he felt he was miscast as the professor.
It's funny because during the movie they talk about actors of the day, Errol Flynn, Cary Grant, James Mason. Cary Grant was the first choice to play Rupert...But it's James Mason would have made an excellent Rupert. So would've Walter Pidgeon or even James Massey.

Juno and the paycock. It's a bore, it is dramatically incomprehensible and a comedic failure, and as a stiff theater play adaptation it is a complete waste of Hitchcock's talents as a director.

After having watched his whole filmography, I can say that all of his films have, in some way or another, a strong visual appeal, that even at his worst or least inspired he can communicate a lot through clever and dynamic camerawork. This one is the notorious exception. I don't even know if he wanted to do this, because it looks like he directed it with the energy of Garfield in a Monday morning.

what are your favorites of his?

Marnie is sexist and stupid, and I honestly think less of people when I find out they like it. Please, tell me more about how much you enjoy watching a man train a mentally ill woman like she's an animal!

Frenzy is mean-spirited in a way that I find an incredible turn-off despite some technical flourishes.

They are the only two of his that I'd never want to rewatch.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
what are your favorites of his?

Actually, I'll remove "Vertigo", and add "The Birds" and "Rebecca" as my least favorite

Not in any order; they're all a 7/10 for me.

Dial M For Murder
Rear Window
Marnie
Frenzy
Rope
Strangers On a Train

I could add Vertigo to my favorites. It's difficult, because to me his movies are either a 5/10 or a 7/10. Always liked the editing. Very to the point, no waste. Usually when I'd be in a rut, I'd watch a Hitchcock movie because I know it would get my attention, but never liked the imitators, like "Charade"

Marnie is sexist and stupid, and I honestly think less of people when I find out they like it. Please, tell me more about how much you enjoy watching a man train a mentally ill woman like she's an animal!
That's the only Hitchcock film I actively dislike. It's a shame as, given some of the concepts in it (mentally ill heroine/morally questionable "good guy"), it does seem like potential for a compelling story is buried in there somewhere. Asking for you to root for Mark though was where it fell apart completely.

Marnie is sexist and stupid, and I honestly think less of people when I find out they like it. Please, tell me more about how much you enjoy watching a man train a mentally ill woman like she's an animal!...
How open minded of you I would NEVER judge a person by the movies they watch. MovieGal watches some extreme cinema and yet she's one of the sweetest people here and I'm happy to call her a friend.